Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Theatre of War 5A Asia

MAW

Where was Theatre 5A Asia?

This is in respect of 7694 Gunner George JUPP, Royal Garrison Artillery, arrived (5A) Asia 18th December 1915.

Mark

Asiatic for 1914/15 covered Mesopotamia, Shaik Sai'd (South-West Arabia), Aden Field Force,

Seistan, Tochi Valley, Hafiz Kor, Katlang, Landakai Ridge, Perim, South of Mastung,

Kachin Hills, Tsing-Tau.

I think it was as follows

5 a

5 b

5 c

5 d

5 e

5 f

5 g

5 h + 5 h i

5 j

5 k

5 l

5 m

Regards Mark

Thankyou for these inputs.

5A Asia = Mesopotamia

Assuming he arrived with his unit, I now need to find which RGA unit(s) landed on this date.

Mark

Mark,

According to Farndale - Forgotten Fronts on 7th Dec 1915 Indian Government ordered 72nd and 77th Heavy Batteries (4 x 5inch How) to Basra. They are shown as being in the line as The Heavy Brigade RGA as part of 7th Division by 3 Jan.

The only other RGA in theatre not besieged in Kut was a section of 104th Heavy Battery.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• 3 years later...
Guest anparker

Where was Theatre 5A Asia?

This is in respect of 7694 Gunner George JUPP, Royal Garrison Artillery, arrived (5A) Asia 18th December 1915.

Mark

Hi Mark, It's a long time since you posted this but I also have an interest in Gunner Jupp as I think he may be my grandfather. Just wonder if you ever found out any more about him. Mesopotamia is where he fought my mum says.

And in reference to Mikemeso's post George was in 104th Heavy Battery according to his medal card.

Cheers, Andrew