Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lieutenant Randall DSC., RNR

RFT

Information required on Lieutenant Randall DSC

According to a family diary Lieut Randall fought and sank a submarine in WW1 for which he received his DSC.

Can anyone confirm this story.

I am looking for his full name and details of the award, also details of the trawler not forgetting the submarine.

Your help will be appreciated?

Rob

Researching naval awards is more rewarding than their army equivalents! There are often citations for DSCs, even better there is probably the original file relating to this award at Kew. Admiralty correspondence (including recommendations for awards) was indexed by the Admiralty secretariat. The index of the 'in letters' is now ADM 12, at Kew. A recipient for an award will have an entry indexed under his surname, by cross referencing that entry you may find the original file that contained his recommendation. These indexes are HUGE (they aren't kidding when they say large document) and the cross referencing takes time to ferret out. Both the indexes and the eventual file are offline and still original documents.

His service records will be in ADM 240, possibly with further details in ADM 340.

Rob

The KING has been graciousl pleased to approve of the award of the Distinguished Service Cross to Officers and Men for services in action with enemy submarines.

Gnr. Henry Samuel Randell, RN

LG 19.12.1917 p13317

Another Randell. - Lieutenant John Thomas Randell, RNR. LG 13.9.1915 pp9064/5

Regards John

Re : Lieutenant Randall

Thanks for this John.

According to my Gt uncles diary Lieut Randall RNR was a DSC by June 1917. Does this clarify the situation?

Rob

A Gunner was a warrant officer promoted from the ranks and he is listed as Royal Navy.

Lieutenant John Thomas Randell is the only Randle from the RNR that WH Fevyer lists in his medal roll of the DSC.

Re : Lieut Randall RNR

John and per ardua

It appears that Lieut John Thomas Randell is the man I am looking for. His DSC was awarded before June 1917.

Thanks

Rob

John and per ardua

It appears that Lieut John Thomas Randell is the man I am looking for. His DSC was awarded before June 1917.

Thanks

Rob

Rob

I can confirm from another reliable source that his DSC was gazetted on the 13th of September 1915.

Regards John

Rob, could this be `your' John T (Thomas) RANDELL - note Award Gazetted (DSC) 13.09.15 ???

Award NOT for sinking / attacking Submarine ??

RANDELL John T DSC Lt. RNR 84S048 H.M.T. Ruscoe

Vice Admiral Commanding 10th Cruiser Sqdn. 27.06.17 G

Auxiliary Patrols to 31.12.16 M in D

Carries out his duties in a thoroughly capable manner, and I have been much impressed by the energy and resource displayed by him on several occasions. On the occasion of the Oiler "San Friso" breaking down he took over charge of the towing operations from "Teutonic", on the 24th November, 1916, and safely brought her into Loch Swilly after 9 days showing sound seamanship.

RANDELL John T N/E Lt. RNR 85U013 Tenby Castle

C-in-C Harwich Force 13.09.15 G

Armed Trawler on Norwegian Coast 23.06.15 - 12.07.15 DSC

Cruised for 20 days off the Norwegian Coast single-handed, in a very gallant manner intercepting shipping. He sank one enemy ship and very nearly secured a second. He also handed over one neutral ship laden with iron ore to the 10th Cruiser Squadron.

KOKO (Keep On Keeping On) Sadsac

Sadsac, thanks for this piece of information.

I know very little about Lieut Randall/Randell other than the following recorded in my Gt Uncles diary:-

12th April 1917, 2.00pm

Arrived at Oban which is a lovely place. My chum (Lieut Mackay) and I went on shore. While on shore we are introduced to several RNR officers at the Argyll Hotel, where we had supper that night. We are also introduced to Lieut Randall DSC, RNR; the man that fought and sank a submarine with one of the smallest trawlers afloat. Went on board Randall's ship for an hour that night and had a night cap before turning in.

Does this help? Or are we looking for another man?

Regards

Rob

Rob, I think we have `got him' - yes RandEll - I have tried Randall but nothing for that spelling, so `presume' this posting correct.

KOKO Sadsac

Sadsac

Your reply at 7.04am.

Have you been up all night on these topics of mine!

Thanks once again

Rob