Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold Project

Terry Denham

I suspect we all believe it should be part of their remit to search for names .

Surprisingly, I actually don't. Probably.

But I do believe such a process should be within the MoD's remit. And, unlike CWGC which is bound by its charter, it could come about in days at the MoD with the wave of Browne's pen.

John

John

that is something I agree with - however I lack the diplomatic/political skills to do something like that

Talking to a friend who used to work at the RAF records office at Innsworth he said that civil servants there would even ignore a political edict if it meant them doing more work than necessary

Chris

Chris

Having spent most of my working life in the public sector, I'm sure this is the sort of thing that civil servants would say when they are gathered round in the pub enjoying a couple of pints. However, the reality is that an MP (even a backbencher) taking a close interest in a subject is a surefire guarantee of a job being done quickly and efficiently. The key word in your post is "necessary" - the political involvement turns anything into "necessary". However much one might want to avoid doing it, it simply isn't worth the hassle.

John

• 2 weeks later...

John/Terry.

What are your plans for advising us whether or not the possible non coms we have submitted are going to be added to the 'possible' list for submisison? Are you intending to do it bit by bit or all in one go at the end? From memory, all volunteers have had at least two hits so far.

Just to emphasise I am not pushing for feedback on the ones I have submitted so far as I appreciate that a lot of checking will need to be done first - just wondering what the plan was.

Best wishes.

Neil

As each alphabet letter is completed and boiled down to those likely to go forward, all volunteers will receive a list of how everybody has done. I have no intention of doing things piecemeal - too confusing. From memory, all volunteers have had at least two 'possibles' so far.

So far we have not completed 'A' though some volunteers are well past that - especially those working on SDGW (up to the 'M' names in some cases) as it is not so difficult to read as GRO!

John

I will regret this :D

I have a copy of the overseas deaths for WW1.

After finishing my book, my wife says that I need a new project.

Fell free to send me some names and I will get going.

(Might be worth some Brownie points in my next life :rolleyes: )

stevem

Just to keep up the interest level.

So far we have found eighty names which will all go through one more check before being elevated to 'possible non-com' status - and I still have a growing pile of returned volunteer forms to process (23 as of this minute!).

Also, a fair number of Name/Date of Death scanning errors have been found with many already corrected by CWGC.

Terry.

Thanks for the info. If I remember earlier threads correctly this means we already have more Non Comms from the GWF in 2008 than we had for the whole of 2007.

Neil

When I was doing the 9th Bn SF history I noted and sent off a number of 'clerical' errors on CWGC. All rapidly changed I might add. Hopefully one day, we will have a large percentage of names without minor errors and new men added.

sm

ps

Smith and Jones hold no fears for me :P

There's plenty of offers already but, having already got one man finally commemorated by CWGC, I'd love to be involved. However, I can ony offer SDGW.

Having been ploughing through returned forms for the Project tonight, I thought it time to say 'Thank You' to all those volunteers who have valiantly undertaken this task. Those that have returned forms to date deserve a big pat of the back. I am sure others are still up to their eyes in the task!

Unashamedly, I list their Forum names below. Well done to you all and keep up the good work. If you wish to help, please contact John Hartley.

apwright

auchonvillerssomme

Geoff501

Jimmy James

John Hartley

Kevinaka1888

MagicRat

Max

Neil Mackenzie

Northern Soul

Peter Woodger

shayman

stevem

Will O'Brien

However, I can ony offer SDGW.

Andy

Much as I hate not to take up your offer, but SDGW is not far off being completed. The vast bulk of the work has been done by Kevin and Peter with help from two or three others.

What we could really do with is more volunteers who have access to the GRO - either by having the CD or Find My Past membership. Perhaps you could put the CD on your pressie list for your birthday whenever that it is? :D

John