Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

Sorry, Chris, the lists I have are by regiment, not purely alphabetical. Do you have any idea at all who he served with? I'll gladly do some random checks.

Nick

Nick,

I wonder if you can find this man:

CHAMBERLAIN, GEORGE MILLER Initials: G M Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Lance Corporal Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers Unit Text: 176th Tunnelling Coy. Age: 28 Date of Death: 08/01/1917 Service No: 102633 Awards: D C M Additional information: Son of Thomas and Anne Chamberlain; husband of Phyllis Jemima Barrs (formerly Chamberlain), of 20, Central Avenue, Ibstock, Leicester. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: I. E. 1. Cemetery: HERSIN COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Born Ruddington Notts., Enlisted London, Resident Ibstock.

I cannot even find a LG entry - but then I'm just useless at it and RE stuff is a mystery.

Chris

Here you go:

"102633 Sapper G.M. Chamberlain, 176th Tunn. Coy., RE. (LG 6 Sept. 1915). For conspicuous gallantry on the 6th August 1915 at Givency. Spr. Chamberlain was working in a mine, in company with Spr. McMann, when they broke into a German gallery, which was either a broken-down one or had been tamped for exploding. They remained there, sending back to report. Later they were relieved by two other men & were posted further down the gallery. At 3 a.m., the time of their relief, his companion went up the gallery to make sure that the two other men were safe. As he was proceeding the Germans exploded their mine, & he was blown down the gallery being seriously wounded. He called Spr. Chamberlain to assist him to rescue their comrades, & regardless of the danger from poisonous gas they succeeded in getting them out safely"

Nick

Nick,

An excellent account - many thanks. As I cannot find McMann in SDGW, it looks at like he survived the war.

William Douglas Walton does not seem to appear in Walker's Recipients of the DCM. What information is this based on Chris?

TR

Nick,

would you please be able to try and find a DCM citation for the following Gent please;

R W DENLY (Think Reginald William)

Sapper, Royal Engineers. Serial Number; 26847

Not sure but the date and place in question may be 12/10/18 at Bohain!

Any help appreciated,

Regards,

Scottie.

Scottie:

26847 Spr. L./C. (T./Cpl.) R.W. Denly, 2nd Fd. Sqdn., R.E. (Cobham) L.G. 11 Mar. 1920. "For gallant conduct & devotion to duty on the 12th October, 1918, at Bohain, when in charge of a party extinguishing a fire in an enemy dump under heavy shell fire. He saved a large quantity of valuable material from destruction. He has on several occasions showed great courage & resource, & has been a very excellent example to his men"

Nick

Nick,

fantastic, thank you very much for your speedy and informative reply.

This is a friend of a friends relative, to be honest I did not believe them when they told me they thought he had "won a DCM or something!" :huh:

Now off to see if the medal is still in the family?

(Excuse my ignorance but anybody tell me where Bohain is?)

Regards,

Scottie.

Scottie. Bohain is in the Dept of Aisne in Picardie in Northern France. (Where the painter Henri Matisse grew up). Ralph.

Nick,

sorry to bother you again, I have been trying to find the relevant entry in the London Gazette on line so i can print it of to impress my mate! but I am failing miserably :huh: (LG 11th March 1920!)

Do you know how/where I can find the entry please?

regards,

Scottie.

William Douglas Walton does not seem to appear in Walker's Recipients of the DCM. What information is this based on Chris?

TR

An Australian newspaper report, which says he also got the MM! He emigrated to Australia soon after the war. I can't see any service record or medal index card that gives any connection to this information.

Scottie

Forum member Stebie9173 seems to be the expert on the London Gazette online. I just use boring old books!

Nick

Scottie, I have searched for ages for your mans citation, and the only reference to him I can find are in Gazettes 31370 d/d 30/5/1919 and 31832 d/d 19/3/1920, just his name rank etc. I hope Steve can do better. Regards Ralph.

Ralph,

thank you for these, my search did not even unearth them. Actually i did not expect to see the citation in full but would be great if someone can track it down! I have PM Stebie so will let you know if he finds anything.

Cheers,

Scottie.

Pal's,

a public thank you to Steve (stebie9173) who has come up trumps with the citation from the LG for me, what a Forum this is!

Regards,

Scottie.

Scottie, Dont keep it to yourself -- which L G was it ? intrigued Ralph.

LG#31819, 11 March 1920, Page 3033.

Sorry Ralph! :mellow:

26847 Spr. L./C. (T./Cpl.) R.W. Denly, 2nd Fd. Sqdn., R.E. (Cobham)

London Gazette 11 Mar. 1920.

"For gallant conduct & devotion to duty on the 12th October, 1918, at Bohain, when in charge of a party extinguishing a fire in an enemy dump under heavy shell fire. He saved a large quantity of valuable material from destruction. He has on several occasions showed great courage & resource, & has been a very excellent example to his men"

Regards,

Scottie.

Found it in the L G but only by entering the page number quoted by Steve, why cant I find it by entering his name ? baffled Ralph.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick

Could I ask for a look up please. Info I have (newspapers) is

Richard Llystyn Jones has had a DCM. In paper 8/6/1915.

In Aug 1916 there's a report re his being wounded. He is with B Coy 1st 5th South Lancs.

Too many possibles in MIR for a positive identification. Would be obliged if you could ID him.

TIA

Hywyn