Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

Mullins - this was the man with no citation (L.G. 30/1/20)

Steve - the Sherwood Foresters are in alphabetical order, & their battalions are not always shown. It would take me a while to type them all out. Here's one to start with:

71043 Sgt. J.H.J. Burgess, 9th N & D (Newark) (L.G. 3/9/1919) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. On 19th August, together with two officers, he went on a daylight patrol which entered the enemy's line & stayed there for four hours, gaining much valuable information. On the 21st August he volunteered to take part in a similar patrol, & again succeeded, not only in entering the enemy's line, but in exploring a portion of his tunnelling system. His utter disregard of danger is a fine example to those under him"

Nick

Another three Sherwood Foresters:

12770 A/Sgt. F. Ede, 9th N & D (L.G. 15/3/1916) "For conspicuous gallantry at Suvla (Gallipoli Peninsula), on 28th November, 1915. He was with a covering party to men wiring when he saw two Turkish snipers close in front. He charged them at once, bayonetted one, & brought the other as a prisoner. The latter was fully armed & had his magazine charged"

12821 L/Cpl. S. Hurt, 9th N & D (L.G. 11/3/1916) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty at Suvla Bay on 10th August, 1915, when fetching & attending to wounded men under fire"

5128 Cpl. F. Nash, 9th N & D (Tottenham) (L.G. 10/1/1920) "For conspicuous gallantry & good work on the 4th November, 1918. When the advance of his company was being held up by three enemy machine guns firing from a bridge on the Aunelle River, he collected his section of three men & rushed the bridge, killing four, wounding five & capturing ten of the enemy, together with three machine-guns. The bridge was afterwards found to be mined"

A couple more:

9031 A/C.S.M. D. Pickford, 9 N & D (L.G. 21/6/1916) "For consistent good work & devotion to duty"

9645 C.S.M. J. Whitworth, 9th N & D (L.G. 11/3/1916) "For conspicuous gallantry & ability at Suvla Bay between 7th & 10th August, 1915. After all officers of his company had been wounded, he took command & led with great skill & courage"

Wow. I don't know what to say, only many thanks.

David Pickford died on wounds 23 October 1916 - Somme

F Ede was killed on 26 September 1916 - Somme

Seth Hurt won an MM whilst with 16th Bn and was killed 3 October 1918 whilst with 1/8th Bn

Nash was one of a number of men to be awarded medals - This was the Bns last action on 4 /11/1918. They had taken Sebourg and then without artillery support moved on to the surounding hills. Over 40 men died within a few minutes and the two companies had many wounded.

Steve m

Ah, that may be the man. Alfreton is only a few miles away and a lot of chaps from the neighbouring village named their home address as Alfreton.

This gives me some sort of lead - which is a major step forward - so thank you very much for taking the trouble to look it up for me.

I

Ah, that may be the man. Alfreton is only a few miles away and a lot of chaps from the neighbouring village named their home address as Alfreton.

This gives me some sort of lead - which is a major step forward - so thank you very much for taking the trouble to look it up for me.

I noticed your thread with regards to 18659 (not 185659) SGT T LEE. NOTTS AND DERBYS, he served with the 1st Battalion and to add to your records he gained his DCM for gallantry at Westhoek Ridge on the 31.July 1917. I have his L.G. Date as 22.10.1917. I also have a picture of him in a group photo, he lived local to me in Alfreton, hope this helps your research. BRONNO.

• 2 weeks later...

In response to a PM:

15922 Sgt. C. Davies (Leebotwood) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. He showed great courage & resource in commanding his platoon when his officer became a casualty. His men were continually subjected to heavy shell fire, but he kept up their spirits by his good example, & on two occasions when men were buried he dug them out in full view of the enemy & under heavy rifle & machine-gun fire" (L.G. 4/3/18)

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Nick,

I have four Royal Field Artillery men, if you would be good enough to have a look.

Charles Idiolls 15025, Thomas Mulcahy 67563, Jeremiah Mullahy 41209 & Albert Priestley 66216.

Many thanks

Sandcroft

Nick,

If you would be kind enough, I have 11 16th Manchesters men awarded DCM's:

17/8361 Alton, A Pte

64421 Brookes, L Pte

40903 Doddemead, C Pte

47213 Etchells, W LCpl

26519 Gilbert, J CSM

7111 Gowan, H Sgt

43008 Leech, R Sgt

7191 Pennington, T.E. Sgt

277049 Potter, H.W. Sgt

43046 Potter, W.J.

12453 Salter, F. LCpl

Citations would be fantastic!

Cheers,

Dave

Sandcroft

I can only find Priestly in the R.F.A.:

"66216 Acting Bombardier A. Priestly, 104th Bty., R.F.A. L.G. 3 June 1915. For conspicuous gallantry and ability at Neuve Chapelle from 9th to 12th March, 1915, in managing his communications with great skill. He was killed on this duty"

Dave - I'll have a look for you over the next few days.

Nick

64421 Pte. L. Brookes 16th Bn., Manchester Regt. (Clapham Park) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty on the night of 29th/30th October 1918, near Espierres, & on the subsequent night. An officer being selected to carry out a very difficult & dangerous reconnaissance, he volunteered to accompany him. Crossing the Escaut River, he penetrated the line of enemy posts & showed great coolness & initiative in reconnoitring manned machine-gun positions. The information he helped to collect was invaluable to the attacking party the next evening" (11.3.20)

40903 Pte. G. Doddemeade (Bakewell). "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty as company runner. He carried messages to & from the battalion headquarters under heavy machine-gun & shell fire. All communication by wire was destroyed, but by his courage & devotion to duty he enabled communication to be maintained. He did excellent service." (21.10.18)

47213 L/Cpl. W. Etchells (Manchester). "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty during several actions as battalion runner, when he carried many messages with unfailing success, although exposed to heavy shell fire & sniping" (17.4.18)

26519 CSM J. Gilbert (Manchester) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty when all the machine & Lewis gunners in his trench became casualties he mounted a Lewis gun under a hail of rifle & machine-gun fire, & effectually held up the enemy's enveloping attack on the flank. His coolness greatly encouraged the men, who put up a splendid fight, until reinforcements arrived & the crisis was passed" (3.9.18)

7111 Sgt. H. Gowan. "For conspicuous gallantry in action. He displayed great courage & skill in handling a machine gun, & in putting a hostile gun out of action. Later, he worked his gun single-handed with great ability" (13.2.17)

43008 Sgt. R. Leech. "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. In spite of very hostile fire he captured an important enemy post & maintained his position there until relieved 49 hours later" (18.6.17)

7191 Sgt. T.E. Pennington. "For conspicuous gallantry in action. He established & maintained communications under very heavy fire, on several occasions himself repairing wires in the open". (13.2.17)

Dear Nick,

Thank you for finding one of the men. It is quite possible that the information I have on the other three awards needs checking.

Regards,

Sandcroft

Dave - the rest of your list:

277049 Sgt. H.W. Potter (Flixton). "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. On all occasions he displayed the utmost courage, cheerfulness & skill, & his fine example had a most beneficial effect on all ranks" (17.4.18)

43046 R.S.M. W.J. Potter (E. Woolwich). "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. He did continuous good work during many operations, when he invariably displayed the highest courage & efficiency in the performance of his duties" (17.4.18)

12453 L/Cpl. F. Salter (Manchester). "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. This man remained at his post till almost surrounded, when he broke through, bayonetting four of the enemy & shooting several others. He did magnificent service" (3.9.18)

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Nick

Could I please have a look on BQMS 1202 William H Gastall of the RFA. Local papers (Bangor, N Wales) state he received one in the Dardanelles in 1915. He has a 372/24 and a 372/23 refernece on the NA site. Don't know whether this means he may have two.

TIA

Hywyn

Hywyn

1202 BQMS W.H. Gastall, 1/5th Battery, 1/1st East Lancashire Brigade, R.F.A. (T.F.) "For conspicuous gallantry & ability south of Krithia, Gallipoli Peninsula, on 4th & 28th June, & 12th & 13th July, 1915. BQMS Gastall & another NCO were employed with guns dug in close behind the forward trenches & exposed to heavy shell & rifle fire, but kept their guns continuously in action in spite of great difficulties. BQMS Gastall was seriously wounded on 12th July" (L.G. 15 Sept. 1915)

No mention of a Bar to his DCM.

Nick

Great stuff.Thanks for that Nick. I have now found his service papers which state he was shipped to UK and eventually discharged due to the wounds so there wouldn't be a bar. It's me, not knowing how to interpret the various WO subcategories.

Diolch/Thanks

Hywyn

Nick,

Took me a while to get back to you, but thanks ever so much for the citations. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

Nick,

Took me a while to get back to you, but thanks ever so much for the citations. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

You're welcome, Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Nick

Can you locate DCM's awarded to Canadians?

If so, could you please check for details of the DCM to :

Sgt James Stephen, 21764, 16th Batt., Canadian Infantry (Manitoba Regiment)

He fell in action on 2nd Sept 1918.

Appreciate any assitance you can give.

Jas

STEPHEN J. Sgt. 21764. "This non commissioned officer's platoon officer was wounded when the platoon was a mile from its objective, whereupon he took charge & led it through. It had to wheel to the left to capture some guns, but by his grasp of the situation & determination the movement was successfully performed, though under heavy machine-gun fire at the time" (L.G. 15/11/18)

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

In response to a PM:

"16735 Pte. A. Thomson, Coldstream Guards (Kirkcaldy, Fifeshire). London Gazette 26 Jan 1918. For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. On his own initiative he set out alone under heavy rifle fire to regain touch between his own unit & another division. He successfully accomplished this, & on his way back shot three of the enemy. He then took up a position midway between the two divisions, from which he kept up a consistent rifle fire upon the enemy for 24 hours, setting a very splendid example of determination & devotion to duty, & by his gallant action safeguarding the right flank of his unit"