Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

Nick

Could you look up one more please. 13486 Thomas, George Henry. Gren Guards. D.C.M 5th Dec 1914. Transferred to WG. New SN of 10.

Thanks mate

Nick

Nick hello,

Thank you very much for the time and trouble you took for me re my grandfather's DCM (84992 Sjt Mills).

My uncle has a letter, which is obviously a reply to my grandfather's question, the reply reads:-

Please quote Rq/M/13498/628

"Sir, Ref your letter of 17/2/20 I have to inform you that you were awarded the DCM vide London Gazette 30/1/20 same however has not yet reached this office for disposal. Yours faithfully (signature unclear) R E Records".

Letter from R E Records, Chatham. dated 23/2/20

Once again, I'm very grateful,

Best regards,

Rob.

Nick

"13486 Sgt. G.H. Thomas, 2nd Bn. Gren. Gds. (LG 17 Dec. 1914). For conspicuous gallantry on 6th November in holding on to his trenches under very heavy shell and rifle fire (after being twice buried by shell explosives) until he had only two men left and the enemy were in rear of his flank"

Nick

(Rob - was your grandfather a POW? There are only a handful of DCMs which are not accompanied by a citation. An earlier individual on this thread earned his DCM in 1914 but it was not Gazetted until 1920. His medal has no citation either)

Nick

Could you also look up 14471 Lance Corporal Thomas, W. 2nd Bn Gren Guards. KIA 24th Dec 1914.

Many thanks Nick

Nick, hello,

I will PM you with some of my grandfather's details (84992 Sjt Mills) as I do not wish to highjack your topic.

Regards,

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...
Nick

Could you also look up 14471 Lance Corporal Thomas, W. 2nd Bn Gren Guards. KIA 24th Dec 1914.

Many thanks Nick

Nick

Any luck on this one?

Many thanks

Nick

Is this your man?

14171 Lance-Corporal W. Thomas 2nd Gren Guards (LG 6th Nov 1914)

"On the 1st October went with three men through a wood to burn a woodstack from which sniping took place, and meeting a patrol of 15 germans fired at them and drove them off. After waiting they went on and successfully lighted the stack."

Lyndon

Thank you both very much. It would of helped if I had got his service number right!

Nick

Please could you look up this chap

Name: CHAMBERLAIN

Initials: H O

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Leicestershire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 08/12/1914

Service No: 9409

Awards: D C M

Additional information: Son of Mrs. Amy Chamberlain, of Freeman's Cottages, Welford, Leicester.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: ZIE. 35.

Cemetery: BRIGHTON (BEAR ROAD) BOROUGH CEMETERY

Chris

Chris

Only a brief citation for your man:

"9409 Pte. H.O. Chamberlain, 2nd Bn., Leicestershire Regt. For the gallantry displayed in the operations on 23rd and 24th November 1914" (L.G. 1/4/15)

Nick

Nick

thanks very much

Chris

Nick

Please can you help with citations for three men of the Arab Rifles who won the African (King's African Rifles) DCM.

In all three cases the medals were issued from Woolwich on 19.8.1919 and the theatre is East Africa.

The men are:

7630 Corporal MBARUK ABUD

7750 Corporal MOHAMED ISHMAEL

7623 Sergeant NAZUR OBED

Harry

Harry

The compilation I have does not cover these three men, unfortunately. The closest are South African/Rhodesian units which include soldiers with the rank of 'Native Corporal', etc. The King's African Rifles are not mentioned, which I find surprising because British & Empire troops clearly served in the ranks alongside Africans. I'll have another look to see if I've missed them.

Nick

Nick.

If you could find a DCM citation for a Reginald Percy Stoneham I would be very grateful.

He died in May 1915 in 1st Bn Sherwood Forresters but had only just been commissioned. I think he got his DCM around January 1915 whilst attached to the Lahore Signals - his actual unit at that time may have been the Bombay Volunteers as he was working in Bombay when war broke out. However the January date is from a newspaper so could be out by a month or two either way.

Personally I find the London Gazette a complete pain - even when the search engine does give me a likely result the pdf pages refuse to open - so if you can help you will save me a lot of stress!!

Many thanks.

Neil

Neil

Here you go:

"Cpl. R.P. Stoneham (7779) Bombay Vol. Rifles. For conspicuous gallantry near Laventie, on the 2nd November 1914. On two occasions he conveyed despatches on foot under heavy howitzer fire" (L.G. 1/4/15)

Nick

Many thanks Nick - much appreciated.

Nothing of this sort came up when I searched on Stoneham.

Thanks again.

Neil

• 1 month later...

Nick

Name: COULSON, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Lincolnshire Regiment

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 16/06/1915

Service No: 9183

Awards: D C M

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 21.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

could look up this chap for me please

chris

Chris

9183 A/L/Sgt. W. Coulson, 1st Bn.

"For conspicuous gallantry and skill as Commanding Officer's observer, notably on 21st October 1914, when under very heavy fire he twice volunteered to take a message from the CO to the firing trench and fulfilled his task each time successfully" (L.G. 30/6/15)

Nick

Nick

thanks very much for that

Chris

If you are having trouble finding an elusive DCM citation, I may be able to help. Please give full name & regiment of individual, otherwise I have no chance of finding him.

Nick

Who is it you are looking for, Mullins?

cheers.think you have had a go for me before.

J.W Mullins DCM 7214 kings own yorkshire light infantry.

ta.

Nick

15 of my 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters got the DCM. Would be be able to look for them for me? I do not want to list them and presume that you will look.

Regards

Steve m