Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

Hi Nick, I hope that you have not been inundated with requests for look-ups of DCM's but I have an elusive one, if indeed there was one.

259673 Drv. William SANDERS in the 8th Res. Bty. R.F.A. (according to the "Absent Voters List" for 1919).

He was awarded the Victory Medal and British War Medal and his daughter says that he was awarded the DCM and granted an increase in pension for it, but I can find nothing. Many thanks in advance ChapelHouseBill.

Bill

Nothing for a William Sanders under the Royal Garrison, Horse or Field Artillery. Have you tried looking for his Medal Index Card on the National Archives website? (£3.50 to download). This will tell you if he was awarded a DCM, & if he was, which regiment he was serving with.

Regards

Nick

Hi Nick, many thanks for the info which confirms my own research. I think that this was either an old soldiers bit of romancing or poor memory on behalf of his daughter.

• 2 weeks later...

Nick

Could I ask for a look up please on

Pte 2361 John O Pritchard 1st Bn Welsh Guards.

Their History book refers to some deeds of his on or around 19th June 1917. His local village Memorial at Rhosgadfan, North Wales has DCM after his name (KIA 28/11/1917)

I've had an unsuccesful bash at the Gazette.

Thanks

Hywyn

In response to a PM, here is the DCM citation for Sgt. H.F. Gwyer (37089), Royal Field Artillery (Coulsdon). L.G. 21 Oct., 1918:

"For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty on many occasions. He has set a magnificent example to the men, and often kept his gun in action under very harassing circumstances"

I understand he was also awarded the Croix de Guerre. Dave - if you are able to post a photo of his medals, I'm sure they would be of interest.

Nick

Nick, Thank you for providing this information. I have a couple I am seeking as well, if you can help:

MacKenzie, M. #4086 & #301331, Sgt /Act BQMS RGA, 4th Highland Mountain Brigade (TF)

Macleod, John #301422, Signaller/Bombardier, possibly earned the DCM as an OR or NCO or as an officer, RGA, 4th Highland Mountain Brigade (TF) or 13 Mountain Battery (RGA)

Murchison, Kenneth #4181/301359, Driver, RGA, 4th Highland Mountain Brigade (TF)

Kiernan, Edward #2010, Gunner, RGA, 4th Highland Mountain Brigade (TF)

Thanks for your help.

Mike Morrison

Mike

I can only find one of your four men, searching under the RGA, RHA & RFA:

301422 Bdr. J. Macleod, R.G.A. (Carloway) (L.G. 1 May, 1918) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. When in charge of one of the signallers during the recent operations he has performed excellent work in frequently laying & mending wire under heavy shell fire. He has shown great devotion to duty"

Are the other three 'definite' or 'possible' DCMs?

Nick

Nick,

We have a cup presented to my great grandfather (13491 CSM David Evans, 14th Battn Royal Welsh Fusiliers) by the people of Port Talbot, which states that he was awarded the DCM. However, the other documents that we have do not mention this (only the Military Cross that he got), and it is not in the collection of medals that we have.

The cup states that he was awarded the DCM for his conduct at Mormal Forest, 4/11/18. The only evidence we do have is a Certificate which outlines how he distinguished himself (using those words) at Mormal Forest, signed by the Commanders of the 133th Inf Brigade and the 38th Welsh Div - has someone read this wrong, or are the two related?

Daniel

Nick, Thank you so much for looking them all up.

Sgt. Mackenzie - DCM is a local mention, so is a possible.

Driver Murchison - Same.

Gunner Kiernan's DCM was mentioned in the local newspaper, so may have been one of those that was proposed but fell through.

Merry Christmas!

Mike Morrison

Daniel

The only D. Evans in the RWF DCM list is 25651 Sgt. D.G. Evans, from Ruthin, whose DCM was announced in the London Gazette on 21/10/18. The action on 4/11/18 could well have led to your gt-grandfather's MC, but I'm afraid I do not have access to that medal list. Have you looked for his Medal Index Card on the National Archives website? That should tell you which medals he received.

Nick

Nick

I've not been able to find his Index Card - there is no David Evans listed with his number on the archives, and there's a fair few "David Evans"s from Wales on there if we have to trawl through the lot...

Daniel

Hi Nick,

I have another request for you, following a conversation with a local gentleman about his father's WW1 service.

In the course of this he referred to the winning of a DCM by a "Sgt. Ledsham, 4th RWF". I have found that a 3220 L/Sgt. W.Ledsham 4th RWF was indeed Gazetted a DCM on 30 June 1915.

Please could you possibly look up the citation (if any) for me?

Regards,

LST_164

Could you please look these three men for me. They are all from Tipperary.

MOULSON/MOULSTON CHARLES EDMOND. Rank: Sergt. Regiment or Service: Regiment or Service: Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the line including the Yeomanry and Imperial Camel Corps. Unit; 11th (Prince Alberts Own) Hussars. Date of Death: 19-11-14. Service No:13128. Born in Wolverhampton. Enlisted in Cahir while living in Cloghan Barracks, Co Tipperary. Won the DCM. Killed in Action

BOLGER, JAMES. Rank: Serjeant. Regiment or Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers. Unit; 1st Bn. Age at Death: 37. Date of Death: 28-11-15. Service No: 5851 Awards: D C M. Born in Tipperary Town, enlisted in London while living in Nenagh. He won the Distinguished Conduct Medal before he died in Gallipoli. Supplementary information; Son of Mrs. Winifred Bolger, of Birr Rd, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary.

And

Sgt Peter Nolan won the Distinguished Conduct Medal as well as the Military medal and Bar. He was killed in action on 27-11-17.

Many thanks for offering to help. I am most thankful.

Kind regards.

Tom.

LST_164

Here you go:

"3220 L/Sgt. W. Ledsham, 4th Bn., RWF. (Benbighshire). TF. (LG 30/6/15). For conspicuous gallantry at Givenchy on 25th January 1915. After affording gallant support to an officer in his attack on a trench under heavy fire, he unearthed a buried machine gun, mounted it and opened fire on the enemy"

Nick

Tom

No citation for Sgt. Moulston under the 11th Hussars, so he was probably a pre-WW1 DCM. Likewise Sgt. Bolger under the Royal Munster Fusiliers (unless he received it with another regiment).

"6484 Sgt. P.A. Nolan, Irish Guards. (Omagh). (LG 4 Mar. 1918). For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in an attack. He rendered valuable services to the only surviving officer of his company in consolidating the captured position. Later, he was instrumental in re-establishing a position which was very heavily shelled. He set an excellent example of courage and fearlessness"

Nick

Thank you very much Nick that adds a little more to my research for this man.

Thanks again.

Regards.

Tom.,

Nick,

thank you very much once again for looking up Sgt Ledsham - it nicely places my local gent's father at Givenchy on that date.

Sincerely,

LST_164

could this be Moulson

Description Medal card of Moulson, C E

Corps Regiment No Rank

Life Guards 13128 Corporal of Horse

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/23

Dept Records created or inherited by the War Office, Armed Forces, Judge Advocate General, and related bodies

Series War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War

Piece Women's Services, Distinguished Conduct Medals and Military Medals

Image contains 1 medal card of many for this collection

gazetted 2nd life guards 17.12.14

Verily I say this that thou art truly a master of the DCM. Well done!! and thanks a million. It is very much appreciated. It is great to see the actual citation.

Have a great new year and thanks again.

Kind regards.

Tom.

what i did was check the MIC to get the regiment, then looked in the DCM book, then using his name and number found nothing so searched for others citated on the same day and then went to the Ms - as the cavalry didnt get many DCMs it wasnt to difficult once I got going!

You make it sound easy, its easy when you are an expert who knows what to do and I appreciate you being such an expert. If I can help you or any other pal with the War Dead Databases at any time I would be delighted to return the favour.

Very much appreciated and thanks again.

regards.

Tom.

You make it sound easy, its easy when you are an expert who knows what to do and I appreciate you being such an expert. If I can help you or any other pal with the War Dead Databases at any time I would be delighted to return the favour.

Very much appreciated and thanks again.

regards.

Tom.

easy if you know! send you a PM re your offer so as not to corrupt the DCM theme