Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

Hi Nick. Great job you're doing here! Can you help with this chap please:

Walter Richard Godfrey Chambers. Served with the Rifle Brigade and got a DCM. Served in the Boer War as well as the Great War.

I'm trying to help someone who has posted on a different site!

Bernard

Bernard

He isn't amongst the Rifle Brigade's WW1 DCMs. Could he have been awarded it whilst serving with another regiment, or possibly during the Boer War?

Nick

Hi Nick. Would very much appreciate the citation for:

9027 Pte J RAE 2nd Bn Scots Guards. DCM in Edinburgh Gazette of 23 February 1915. TIA

Hi Nick. Great job you're doing here! Can you help with this chap please:

Walter Richard Godfrey Chambers. Served with the Rifle Brigade and got a DCM. Served in the Boer War as well as the Great War.

I'm trying to help someone who has posted on a different site!

Bernard

Bernard

He isn't amongst the Rifle Brigade's WW1 DCMs. Could he have been awarded it whilst serving with another regiment, or possibly during the Boer War?

Nick

Bernard, I can't find him either. Here is a list of all Chambers (and their regiments) awarded the DCM:

CHAMBERS A C Machine Gun Corps

CHAMBERS A C Machine Gun Corps

CHAMBERS A G Corps Of Royal Engineers

CHAMBERS C The Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)

CHAMBERS E The Prince Of Wales's (North Staffordshire Regiment)

CHAMBERS E Canadian Machine Gun Corps

CHAMBERS H The Sherwood Foresters (Nottingham And Derbyshire) Regiment

CHAMBERS J The Royal Irish Rifles

CHAMBERS L S Royal Field Artillery

CHAMBERS R W The Lincolnshire Regiment

CHAMBERS W The Hampshire Regiment

CHAMBERS W B Corps Of Royal Engineers

CHAMBERS W W Royal Garrison Artillery

CHAMBERLAIN A 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons

Thanks Kim. The reason I looked in the Edinburgh Gazette was I tried the LG - no go. Must have been the way I was holding my mouth?????

Nick and Kim - many thanks for taking the time to look.

Bernard

• 2 weeks later...

Nick,

Thanks very much for the info on CSM Mahon really appreciated

regards Martin

• 1 month later...

Hi Nick,

Could I ask for a look up please?

532464 EDWARDS, Sgt (or poss RSM) Benjamin Charles Lewis, 2/15th London Regiment, LG 1/1/19.

Many thanks,

ASA1

532464 Sgt. B.C.L. Edwards, 2/15th Bn., London Regt. (Balham) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. His personal gallantry is of the highest standard, & throughout his service with the Battalion in Salonica, Palestine & France, has on more than one occasion materially assisted the final success of operations against the enemy by his individual leadership. His devotion to duty at all times is admirable" (L.G. 3/9/19)

Nick

Hi Nick,

Could I ask for a look up please?

532464 EDWARDS, Sgt (or poss RSM) Benjamin Charles Lewis, 2/15th London Regiment, LG 1/1/19.

Many thanks,

ASA1

• 2 weeks later...

Nick,

I wonder if you would mind looking up citations for my grandfather (Thomas KERMODE - Boer War) and his brother (James KERMODE - WW1 Palestine or Sinai or thereabouts). Also, if you are interested & willing in looking further, what other DCM's were won by persons with the surname KERMODE. Terrific job you are doing, by the way.

EdK

Nick

Could I ask for an unusual one (Canadian) A-30337 SOLES, George Hilton - 48th Battalion DCM with 2 Bars

thank you

Bob R.

Nick,

I wonder if you would mind looking up citations for my grandfather (Thomas KERMODE - Boer War) and his brother (James KERMODE - WW1 Palestine or Sinai or thereabouts). Also, if you are interested & willing in looking further, what other DCM's were won by persons with the surname KERMODE. Terrific job you are doing, by the way.

EdK

Ed

I don't have Boer War DCM citations, I'm afraid, & I would need a regiment for James Kermode, as the citations are all by regiment & not in a general alphabetical sequence. Therefore I wouldn't be able to look up all the individuals with the surname 'Kermode' - sorry!

Nick

Nick

Could I ask for an unusual one (Canadian) A-30337 SOLES, George Hilton - 48th Battalion DCM with 2 Bars

thank you

Bob R.

L/Sgt. G.H. SOLES, 430337 'For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. During an attack, when the left flank was held up by some strong posts, he led his men to the right & worked round to within bombing distance. He knocked over a machine gun with a bomb, killing eight of the enemy & taking the remainder, eighteen in number, prisoners' (L.G. 28.3.18)

Bar to DCM 'When a Tank which had fallen behind commenced firing upon our men, this NCO immediately put a steel helmet on his bayonet & ran to the Tank through a storm of bullets until he attracted their attention & diverted the fire. His conduct in charge of a platoon throughout the operations was characterised by daring & high fighting qualities' (L.G. 15.11.18)

2nd Bar (72nd Bn.) 'For marked courage & good leadership during the operations near Cambrai from 27th September to 1st October 1918. On 29th Sept. he rushed an enemy strong-point single-handed, accounting for the garrison & capturing three machine guns. Later, he worked his way along a railway cutting, & personally shot eight of the enemy. Later, again, he organised a strong-point, which successfully held up an enemy counter-attack' (L.G. 10.1.20)

Nick

Nick,

understood.

James Kermode's details (as far as I am aware) are:

- service number: 948

- enlisted: 27/11/1914 into 5th reinforcement, 3rd Australian Light Horse Regiment

- Embarked: 2/6/1915 in ship "Botanist" from Adelaide.

- Arrived in Gallipoli 29/9/1915

- Disembarked from Gallipoli on the "Karroo", arriving Alexandria 20/12/1915

- Served against the Turks & Germans in Upper Egypt, Sinai Peninsula, and

Palestine from beginning of 1916 through to discharge date:-

- Units served in: 1st Australian Light Horse Brigade (3rd Austn Lt Horse

regmnt); 4/4 to 5/6/1916- ANZAC Police Corps HQ; 1/7/1916- Imperial Camel

Corps (14th Company), later (4/12/1916) this became part of 3rd ANZAC

Camel Battalion; 1/7/1918- 15th Australian Light Horse Regiment (part of 5th

Austn Lt Horse Brigade);

- Campaigns/battles involved in:

- whilst in the 1st Lt Horse Brigade: withdrawal from Anzac; defence of

Egypt;

- whilst in 14th Imperial Camel Corps: Sinai- Western Desert;

- whilst in 3rd Camel Battalion (1 Camel Brigade), Palestine:

Magdhaba; Rafah; first & second battles of Gaza; Beersheba;

Jerusalem; Jericho; Es Salt; Megiddo; Damascus;

Discharged 1919.

Awards: DCM, MM, mentioned in despatches

Ed K

Nick

http://users.picknowl.com.au/~jandakermode/newproject3/html/_sgg/f10000.htm

this is a pic of James Kermode DCM MM mentioned in despatches (twice?) Lewis machine gunner extraordinaire vs Turks in WW1

EdK

Ed

L/Cpl. J KERMODE (948), Imperial Camel Corps, Australian Army 'For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty in command of a Lewis gun team. He showed great judgement & courage when isolated & under heavy shell fire in covering the withdrawal of two companies' (L.G. 18.2.18)

Nick

Nick

I have newspaper info (Sept 1918)that a local man called Owen Jones had been awarded the DCM. I'm trying to firm up on it. According to Ancestry there is only one O Jones and I have managed to pin him to North Lancs (my subs level will not give me anymore)

My request therefore is for his identity , i.e number etc so that I can see if LG provides a placename for that recipient that I can link back to my info.If your database is in number order then I understand that it will not be feasable for you to go through them.

TIA

Hywyn

Hywyn

22193 L/Cpl (A/Cpl) O. Jones, MM, Loyal North Lancashire Regt. (Ardwick), DCM Gazetted 3/9/18. This looks like your man.

Nick

Thanks Nick.

His medal card shows him to be Oswald Jones not Owen Jones so it's back to the drawing board for me. It wont be the first time that someone is reported to have had an award when it was possibly a recomendation etc.

Thanks again.

Hywyn

Can you find Reginald H Johnson of the 38th Bn MGC 128126 - died 27/8/18 - He is on the All Saints Church War Memorial in Reading

many thanks

John

John

In the SDGW he is 128926 Pte. Richard Haskayne Johnson, formerly 360364 Liverpool Regt. I cannot find a DCM for him under either regiment I'm afraid.

Nick

• 2 months later...

Hi Nick,

Another one for you - this chap is mentioned in the local paper (January 1919) as being awarded the DCM but I cannot find anything else (so far!) to back it up:

WYATT, Bonsor - Sergt G/6165 Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment (possibly 7th or 3rd Battn).

Many thanks,

Andy