Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

Martin

No Duckworths amongst any of the Guards, I'm afraid. Any chance he was a Boer War DCM?

Nick

Martin

No Duckworths amongst any of the Guards, I'm afraid. Any chance he was a Boer War DCM?

Nick

Hello Nick,

Thanks for trying, no I'm pretty certain he wouldnt have been old enough to have served in South Africa. I wonder if it was the MM. His son was actually serving in the 1960's just before I joined up.

Cheers,

Martin

:thumbsup:

Would love another from you Nick if that is ok?

Walter Dodsworth, RGA. Awarded DCM in 1917.

Dean.

Dean

20583 Gnr. W. Dodsworth, R.G.A. "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty in going to the assistance of a comrade who had become entangled in barbed wire in rear of his gun during an intense bombardment. In extricating him he was severely wounded, & will probably lose both legs. His gallantry & devotion were beyond all praise" (L.G. 25/8/17)

Nick

Thank you Nick,

this was for one of his living relatives, much appreciated.

regards

Dean.

• 1 month later...

Nick

I would appreciate a look up please on L Cpl 30335 Henry W Simpson of 1st Somerset Light Infantry.

He is on a list in LG 31225 12/3/1919

TIA

Hywyn

Hywyn

30335 L/Cpl. H.W. Simpson (Bangor), 1st Bn., S.L.I. "For great courage & determination near Verchain on 24th October 1918. While the river was being bridged there was a great deal of crowding at the bridges & considerable enemy fire. He swam across the river, collected a few men who had already crossed, & attacked the nearest enemy position, thereby diverting the enemy fire from the bridges, & enabling the crossing to be proceeded with. Throughout the day he showed a very fine example of dash & courage" (L.G. 2/12/19)

Nick

• 1 month later...

Dear Nick,

I would appreciate a look-up for Sgt L. E. Green 1755/560247 47 Divisional Signals Company - Gazette date 3/6/1916

also W Egan 21479 RFA Gazette date 1918

Thanks,

Dave Swarbrick

Hywyn

3093 Pte. A. Thomas, 1st Bn., W. Gds. (Portdinorwic, N. Wales) "For conspicuous gallantry near Bavani on 6 Nov., 1918. He was advancing with his Lewis gun when machine gun fire was opened from the left flank, & he was badly wounded. He crawled to where his gun was lying & poured a steady fire until the men got over the crest. Later he helped a badly wounded comrade to battalion HQ" (L.G. 25 Feb. 1920)

Dave

1755 Sgt. L.E. Green, 47th Divl. Sig. Coy., R.E., T.F. "For consistent gallantry & good work when maintaining telegraphic communications, notably during a period of heavy bombardment" (L.G. 21 June, 1916)

No one with the surname 'Egan' in the R.F.A. D.C.M.s. A/Cpl. F.J. Egan in the R.G.A.

Nick

Hywyn

1755 Sgt. L.E. Green, 47th Divl. Sig. Coy., R.E., T.F. "For consistent gallantry & good work when maintaining telegraphic communications, notably during a period of heavy bombardment" (L.G. 21 June, 1916)

No one with the surname 'Egan' in the R.F.A. D.C.M.s. A/Cpl. F.J. Egan in the R.G.A.

Nick

Thanks very much Nick, much appreciated

Dave Swarbrick

Mike

285169 Pte. T.N. A'Bear, Yeomanry [unit not specified]. "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty when at a listening post in advance of our line. During a fierce enemy attack he came under heavy shell fire, but in spite of being isolated he remained unmoved, bombing the advancing enemy & forcing them to retire. His splendid determination & courage contributed largely to the failure of the enemy's assault" (L.G. date not given)

2516 Pte. P. Muller, Oxfordshire Hrs., T.F. "For conspicuous good work in night reconnaissance. On one occasion he entered the enemy's sap, which was unseen from our trench, picked up a rifle & fixed it so that the line could be seen by daylight" (L.G. date not given)

971 Squadron Sergeant-Major J.C. Warren, Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hrs. "For conspicuous gallantry on 3rd Nov., 1914, at Wulverghem, when he took a prominent part with two Troops in crawling up a field to fill a gap in the line of trenches, under very heavy shell-fire. Has been noted for voluntarily undertaking dangerous & difficult work" (L.G. date not given)

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back for more please ! Two local men that I am investigating, both Oxford & Bucks LI:-

L/Cpl F Merry 9140 2nd

Pte G Hall 8488 2nd (not confident of this service number)

1914 or early 1915, possibly together. A smoking concert was held in their honour when both were invalided home.

MC

9140 L/Cpl F Merry 2nd Btn

For conspicuous devotion to duty. Although very ill, he refused to go sick, and carried on all his duties, including the voluntary collection of wounded between the lines, until he became light-headed. He also did very good work on another occasion (11.3.16)

844 Pte G Hall 2nd Btn

For conspicuous gallantry and good work on 3rd November in advancing from his own trench and assisting in driving away a party of the enemy, who were commencing to dig a new trench within 30 yards of his own; 30 of the enemy were shot on this occasion. (17.12.14)

9140 L/Cpl F Merry 2nd Btn

For conspicuous devotion to duty. Although very ill, he refused to go sick, and carried on all his duties, including the voluntary collection of wounded between the lines, until he became light-headed. He also did very good work on another occasion (11.3.16)

Thanks for this; but can you try another Merry? Harry this time, number 7441, probably a 1914 action.

MC

7441 Pte. H. Merry, 2nd Bn., Ox & Bucks L.I. "For conspicuous good work on 3rd November in advancing from his own trench & assisting in driving away a party of the enemy, who were commencing to dig a new trench within 30 yards of his own. 30 of the enemy were killed on this occasion". (L.G. 17/12/14)

Nick

hi would you please have a look for the following citation.

regards Martin

Name: Patrick Mahon

Birth Place: Clough, Co. Kilkenny

Death Date: 1 Jan 1918

Death Location: Egypt

Enlistment Location: Aldershot, Hants

Regiment: Prince of Wales's Leinster Regiment (Royal Canadians)

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Number: 6219

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Theatre of War: Egyptian Theatre

Comments: D.C.M.

Gentlemen/Ladies - thanks for your kind help and glad you could resolve which men I was looking for ! Twin citations for Hall and Merry for the same action. Much appreciated.

MC

Martin

6219 CSM P. Mahon (Castlecomer, Co. Kilkenny) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. Although wounded, he went forward & rejoined his platoon, which was being attacked, & continued to direct it & to use his rifle until the attack was beaten off. He set a splendid example of pluck & fearlessness, & has on all occasions rendered exceptionally good & continuous service since the commencement of the war" (L.G. 26 Jan. 1918)

Nick