Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Distinguished Conduct Medal Citations

Nick Thornicroft

I don't normally butt in on Nick's topic, but just as an exception to prove the rule:

London Gazette 3-9-1918

630036 Sjt. J. Conn, R.F.A. (Aberdeen).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty during an enemy advance. When his gun was brought into action within 300 yards of a bridge in the open to hold a canal crossing, he acted as layer, and by his skilful shooting he knocked out three machine-guns, and caused heavy casualties to the enemy, and greatly helped his guns to be got safely away.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/308...pplements/10282

Steve.

The action took place on 12/04/1918. Jim Conn was in A Battery 255th Brigade attached to the 51st Highland Division. There is a picture of the engagement, Plate 15 of Fred A Farrell's War Sketches for the 51st Division. By a strange coincidence the officer commanding the B Battery gun Major F C Jack who won a DSO in the same action was Spike Milligan's CO in WW11

It is amazing what detail is available on the net. Jim even appears & is listed on the picture. Jim was my father's cousin & so modest that Dad had no idea that he had won a DCM.

AFairchild

Hi

Looking for info on the DCM award for Private John Hunt, 7355, East Yorks. I understand from a colleague at work that the award arose from actions at Hooge.

A footnote is that after the war he was presented with 2 Statuettes by his village in South Moor Co Durham as he was to only one to have had a significant gallantry award from the village.

Thanks for any help you can give

Jim

Jim

There is no one with the name John Hunt (or even Hunt) amongst the East Yorks DCMs. Could he have been serving with another regiment at the time?

Nick

Thanks for your reply Nick. - I think that there may have been a connection wth the Durham Light Infantry according to my colleague. Apparently he was also a Boer War man.

Many thanks

Jim

I wonder if you can add anything to this:

Extract from the London Gazette 3rd June 1919

AWARDED.THE DISTINGUISHED CONDUCT MEDAL

9170 Sapper L/C [A/Cpl] J. Swarbrick 97th Field Company R. E. Blackpool

Thanks

Dave Swarbrick

Jim

Nothing in the Durhams either - he may have been a pre-WW1 DCM, as you suggest.

Dave

9170 Spr. L./C. (A./Cpl.) J. Swarbrick, 97th Fd. Coy, R.E. (Blackpool) "For consistent good work & gallantry in action, & in particular for his conduct on the night of 2nd/3rd October, 1918, when an officer was badly wounded at Bantouzelle. He saved this officer from falling into the St. Quentin Canal, &, under heavy fire, carried him to the cover of a bank" (L.G. 11/3/1920)

Nick

Thanks Nick

all the best

Jim

• 1 month later...

Hi Nick,

Hope its ok to trouble you for a few lookups -

RSM J Love, 2/22 London Regiment (apparently also awarded the MC)

RSM William Thomas Palmer, East Surrey Regt

L.Cpl Albert Edward Edwards, Queens Royal West Surrey Regt

Pte Sidney Albert Pannell, Queens Royal West Surrey Regt

Many thanks,

ASA1

ASA1

681577 CSM J. Love (Wallington), London Regt. "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. He has always displayed the greatest courage & coolness under fire, setting a splendid example to his men" (L.G. 16.8.17)

59 A/CSM W.T. Palmer 7th Bn., E. Surr. R. "For gallantry & devotion to duty. In a mine explosion he, with three other men, continued bombing & firing till forced back. On a counter-attack being made he rendered material assistance" (L.G. 15.4.16)

G/1472 L/Cpl. A.E. Edwards, R.W. Surr. R. "For conspicuous gallantry during an attack, when he worked his machine gun under very heavy shell fire, knocking out an enemy machine gun which was causing severe casualties to our advancing troops" (L.G. 20.10.16)

G/37151 Pte. S.A. Pannell (Wallington), 7th Bn., R.W. Surr. R. "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty, on 1st September, 1918, near Hay Wood. An enemy machine gun was continually harassing our line, when Pte. Pannell went forward to a position on a flank of the gun, from which he killed the crew. He then seized the gun, which he brought back with him. His splendid display of courage & initiative were most valuable" (L.G. 10.1.20)

Nick

Thanks Nick, much appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nick,

A few more for you if that's ok -

Cpl Ernest Beales, RHA

Sgt Ernest Winchester, 2nd South Staffordshire Regt

Sgt William James Smith, 1st Cheshire Regt

Many thanks,

ASA1

Cpl. E.A. Beales, attd. 'C' A.A. Btty., R.G.A. (Sutton) "For continuous & conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. He has served in France since April, 1915, in anti-aircraft sections, & nearly the whole time in forward areas. He is a highly skilled & expert range-taker, & has shown so much ability in the performance of this duty that he was given charge of one of the few two metre range-finders. He worked it & another, one after the other, until both were destroyed by shell fire. His ability & devotion to duty are of the highest order" (L.G. 3/9/1918)

No one with the name 'Winchester' amongst the South Staffs. DCMs

Not sure about Smith of the Cheshires. There is a CQMS J.H. Smith (7941) 1st Bn., or Pte. W. Smith (200249) 1/4th Bn. (Heswall)

Nick

Thanks once again for your assistance. May come back to you about Smith.

Cheers,

ASA1

Hi Nick,

I hope you can help as I’m afraid this one has me stumped. The DCM in respect of Sapper William Herbert Brett of 9 Field Company, RE was Gazetted on 22 June 1915, but I can’t find the citation. He died on 3 June 1916 and Wisden described him as the best wicket keeper in the Metropolitan Police Force.

andyp

Andy

12242 Sapper W.H. Brett, 9th Fd. Coy., R.E. "For conspicuous gallantry on 9th April, 1915, at Givenchy, when, engaged in erecting wire entanglements in front of the trenches, after dark, he assisted in rescuing, under a heavy fire, one of the covering party who had been wounded" (L.G. 30 June 1915)

Nick

Many thanks

In case anyone is interested cricketing obituaries for men killed in the Great War can be found at www.cricinfo.com/wisdenalmanack.

Andy

Hi all,

I have been asked to look for information in relation to private 4868 R. Dempsey DCM 1st batt. Irish Guards

(LG 15 Sept 1915)

I believe he forfeited his award. any information in relation to the forfeiture greatly appreciated

regards

Paul

Paul

I have nothing on his forfeiture, only his citation, which I presume you have?

Nick

Hello Nick,

I would appreciate if you could look for a d.c.m. citation for Robert Gibson, 819, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. I have been unable to trace the date of his award in the LG, but it is shown omn his medal record card.

Regards,

Alf McM

EDIT - Nick, please ignore this post, SteveE has already provided the citation.

Regards,

Alf

I would appreciate if you could look for a d.c.m. citation for Robert Gibson, 819, Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. I have been unable to trace the date of his award in the LG, but it is shown omn his medal record card.

Alf

Please see your other thread.

Regards

Steve

I'm looking for any information you have on Sgt. H W Terry 2206 8th Royal West Kent who was awarded the DCM (LG 1/1/18).

Thanks

2206 Sgt. H.W. Terry, R.W. Kent R. (Sevenoaks) "For conspicuous gallantry & devotion to duty. He was one of a party which entered the enemy's trenches & captured two prisoners. He has continually done excellent patrol work, & has set a splendid example of courage & good leadership during a long period" (L.G. 17/4/1918)

Nick

Hi Nick,

Bit of a long shot this, family folklore states a close friend of my grandad, known to the family as Uncle Con, who served in the Coldstream during the Great War was awarded the DCM.

All I have is C Duckworth, Coldstream Guards, probably 1st Bn - any chance???

Cheers,

Martin

:thumbsup: