Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wire-cutters holder

morant2004

Can anyone tell me which pattern equipment this wire-cutter holder belongs to? I have always assumed that it may have been pattern '03, but the belt loop seems far too broad for the pattern '03 belt (it tends to fall at an angle), and actually fits the pattern '08 belt. It is stamped Brisbane (Australia) 1915. Also, what is the purpose of the small upper loop on the reverse?

Kind regards, Andrew

post-26004-1195775962.jpg

Andrew

I think you will find that this is intended to be attached to a saddle. I am sure that one of our harness and saddlery experts will speak up soon.

Yours

Mike

This pouch carried the cutters that had the appearance of a bolt cutter. I have seen several pictures of the pouch used by infantry scouts carrying the cutters on their raids.

I have also seen an image of an Australian mounted soldier with the pouch attached to the saddle. But it was carrying a pair of pincers, and they did not appear to fit correctly.

The loop on the reverse is for the lanyard.

post-6040-1195828560.jpg

This pouch carried the cutters that had the appearance of a bolt cutter. I have seen several pictures of the pouch used by infantry scouts carrying the cutters on their raids.

I have also seen an image of an Australian mounted soldier with the pouch attached to the saddle. But it was carrying a pair of pincers, and they did not appear to fit correctly.

Fascinating, I actually have a pair of wire cutters, Australia marked and dated 1915, which are the spit of those in your picture! And the holder in Andrews original post is the correct pattern, but also an exact date and origin match. Spooky. :ph34r:

Fascinating, I actually have a pair of wire cutters, Australia marked and dated 1915, which are the spit of those in your picture! And the holder in Andrews original post is the correct pattern, but also an exact date and origin match. Spooky. :ph34r:

Andrew the jaws of these cutters look just like a set of bolt cutters. I do not own a pair but I have seen them.

So, what you should do it get rid of those horrible dated cutters and send them over to me, I won't object.

But if you can't bring yourself to get rid of them I might be able to find you a 1915 pouch.

Only just spotted this, if you click:

http://www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk/

and then look under Accessories, Richard Fisher has pictured under the .50 caliber Vickers a pair of pliers I think in the same case. I believe these cases have been mentioned on the WeaponsOnline website before now, and the conclusion was that, whatever they had originally been made for, they seemed to have ended up being used to store a variety of tools, not all of which fitted terribly well!

Andrew the jaws of these cutters look just like a set of bolt cutters. I do not own a pair but I have seen them.

So, what you should do it get rid of those horrible dated cutters and send them over to me, I won't object.

But if you can't bring yourself to get rid of them I might be able to find you a 1915 pouch.

I've attached a few pictures of the cutters, they appear to be the same style as my Large 1917 Chater Lea Ltd marked wirecutters (pictured for comparison), which is why I assumed they are wirecutters as well.

I'm afraid they would be rather expensive if you were interested in buying them - the only other identical pair I have seen was on Ebay several years ago, and they sold for £75 even then!

aVcCAQi.jpg

Pq1I2uui.jpg

aVcD6g9.jpg

aVcDle0.jpg

aVcDqdi.jpg

aVcDxHJ.jpg

As Andrew has identified, I do have some pictures on my website of the belt repairing tools, for the .303-inch and .5-inch Vickers MG rivetted belts, being in this case. They do fit rather well but, as other posters have identified, they are more likely to be for the wire cutters - as there are plenty of other places to securely store the belt repairing tool.

I have had two or three of the pouches through my hands in the last few years and they all seem to be of the same manufacturer, same condition and same date.

Regards

Richard

• 2 weeks later...