Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help deciphering writing in Medal Roll Please ?

BMacIntyre

I am hoping someone can help me decipher the writing on this medal roll.

I am looking for the service number of John Graham 1st Btn Black Watch.

I know he was in the BW in 1909 and he was part of the BEF and entered the war at the start. I know he was a Corporal. There are only 3 John Grahams that are Corporals for the Royal Highlanders in the Medal Rolls, 1 chap was KIA and the other started off in 1/6th BW, however this one is closed I am thinking because I know he was in the army prior to WW1.

Why would a CPL be transferred from the 1st to the 1/7th if he was a professional solider ?????

Here is the Medal Roll.

Thank you

Bernadette

post-24332-1195760803.jpg

The Medal Index Card shows his 1914 Star was returned {other entries suggest there was an error in the naming & it was returned for "adustment" {shown as Adjt on MiCs}}

There would be nothing unusual for a Regular to have been posted to a TF Bn possibly after being wounded & on recouperation???

I may be reading the details wrong but doesn't it state that all the medals are forfeited?

I have had another look by trying to blow up the writing and the way I read it is that the Victory and BWM were returned for adjustment to change the rank from Corporal to Sergeant - this is the original writing and then in smaller writing there is the notation for forfeiture with some reference to court of ...

Was he convicted of a major criminal offence?

Can't see anything relating to medals being returned for 'adjustment'. The way Iread it is the medals were forfeited in July 1922 as a result of Court of B........y (?) with the bottom notes recording the actuall return of the forfeited medals in September 1922

Peter

Thanks Guys

That is very interesting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not sure yet that this is the correct Medal Roll for my Grandmothers Cousin ... I will keep searching.

but out of interest .... why would someone's medals be forfeited and was it common ???

Where would someone find out ???

Why was SGT on the Medal Roll.... could he have been promoted and there be a 2nd Medal Card for him as SGT ??

Thanks Everyone

Bernadette.

Bernadette

If you have a look at post 10 on this thread made by Graham Stewart there is reference to Article 1236a introducd in 1920 where camaign medals could be forfeited for conviction by the civil power:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...1&hl=pardon

regards

Mel

The VM &BWM were inscribed with the highest rank achieved - Sergeant in this case. Not the Xs next to Sgt & Victory Medal.

His 1914 star would inscribed with Corporal, as this was his rank on qualifying for that medal.

i.e. to France in 1914 as a corporal and finished up as a Sergeant.

Steve.