Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trawler Patrol, Dover

RFT

I have in my possession a photograph taken by "Panora Ltd" entitled "Trawler Patrol, Dover - 1918" The photo measures some 45ins in length x 8 ins in breadth and depicts several hundred officers and men (and several women in uniform). Cap tally's include: HMMI, HMS, HMS Attentive, HMS Minesweeper, HMS Pembroke, HMS P***, and HMS Tam*** (I cannot read the descriptions of the latter).

My Gt uncle, who appears in the photo, was Lieut RNR and reported to HMS Attentive III in February 1918 for command of a minesweeper trawler for minesweeping duties in Area 11.

Does anyone have information on the photograph, the Trawler Patrol, and Area 11?

Rob

Hello Rob,

Attentive III was the Parent Ship for the Auxiliary Patrol at Dover from Jan. 1916 to 1/5/19. If you could tell us your great uncle`s name, then it might be possible to trace which trawler he commanded through the Navy List.

The first tally you have listed, does it read HMMI or HMML?

Regards,

ARABIS.

Hello ARABIS

Thanks for the prompt reply.

My Gt uncle's name was Arthur George Sampson, Lieut, RNR.

Another entry in his service record reads:- "1st May 1919, Sunhill for North Russia Expedition." What does this mean?

Returning to the photo - I am not sure if the cap tally reads HMMI or HMML. Another one I have just spotted reads HMS Victory. A total of 11 women are featured in uniform.

Rob

Hello John

Thank you very much for your input. Was this unit in any way connected to the Dover Patrol?

Rob

Rob,

I have looked up Arthur George Sampson in the Dec. 1918 Navy List [Tempy. Lt. R.N.R. sen. 7/11/17], & he is listed against Attentive III [9/2/18] only.

The following is taken from Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy by Lt. Cdr. Warlow R.N:-

SUNHILL II, Accounting Section for Officers & Ratings in SUNHILL...... "seperate ledger for Officers and Men serving in SUNHILL [qv]. 06.1919 allocated to Baltic Passenger Service".

HMML is His Majesty`s Motor Launch.

Regards,

ARABIS.

Arabis and Neil Clark

Thank you for the above information. This will certainly be added to the family archive.

Regards

Rob

Hello Rob - boring old me again !!! Find this of interest ??

Have many such for HMS ATTENTIVE (only) NOT ATTENTIVE 111 - all re Dover Patrol.

MCLEOD Alexander WSA 2137 Skipper RNR 79D028

H.M.A.T. Ben Gulvain

Vice Admiral Dover Patrol 14.09.17 Gazetted

The Dover Trawler Patrol DSC

For services on the occasion of the loss of H.M.A.T. Frazer on the 17th June, 1917.

Skipper McLeod behaved in a most courageous manner, going on three seperate occasions in the boat to rescue survivors. He succeeded in saving four of the crew.

Regards Sadsac

Rob, ATTENTIVE 111 ;

DEUCHER Graham J.A N/E Lt. RNR 84S144 Attentive 111

Vice Admiral Dover 11.04.19 Gazetted

Auxiliary Patrol Dover 01.07.18 - 11.11.18 DSC

This officer has done most excellent work on patrol and minesweeping duties at this Base for nearly four years. During the early days of the war, he was of great service in carrying out minesweeping duties on the Belgian Coast, and has cleared many enemy minefields, in this area with great success. He has performed his duties at controls with good judgment, and carried out the duties of Divisional Officer, to my satisfaction. He has been twice previously recommended and Mentioned in Despatches ( vide London gazette 27.06.17).

On the 27th September last, when his vessel H.M.A.T. No. 162.B "Kings Grey", was struck by a mine, he handled his vessel in a seamanlike manner, and without compasses, which were unshipped by the explosion, and in a heavy sea, brought his vessel safely to Dover. The coolness and good example set by this officer were the means of saving his vessel. For this service he received, from Their Lordships' of the Admiralty an expression of their appreciation for his conduct (vide, Admiralty letter, N.O.N.L. 45836 of 10/18).

Sadsac

Hello Rob, here goes with a `great heap' of info - some ships of Dover Patrol ;

OPHELIA / AMAZON / MIDGE / GLEANER of the SEA / ORVIETO / SWIFT

BAIRRITZ / PRINCESS MARGARET / LAFOREY / PARIS / AFIDI / ATTENTIVE

SHACKLETON / OSTA / CARMANIA 11 / ARROGANT / JEANE SIMPSON

SILVER QUEEN / OSTRICH / WELBECK / GYPSY / CRUSADER / FALCON

FLIRT / LOOKOUT / TB 15 / P 24 / BEN GULVAIN / LORD CLIVE

P 17 / PRINCE RUPERT / LINNETT / SIR JOHN MOORE / GENERAL CRAUFORD

MARSHALL SOULT / ZULU / EREBUS / TERROR / OCEAN ROAMER

ATENTIVE 111 / GLEN AFTON / LOYAL FRIEND / ML 358 / ML 272

Take Y'er pick Matey, Sadsac

"Trawler Patrol, Dover"

Thanks Sadsac for all this latest information.

Plenty for me to research over the coming months.

Rob

• 1 month later...
I have in my possession a photograph taken by "Panora Ltd" entitled "Trawler Patrol, Dover - 1918" The photo measures some 45ins in length x 8 ins in breadth and depicts several hundred officers and men (and several women in uniform). Cap tally's include: HMMI, HMS, HMS Attentive, HMS Minesweeper, HMS Pembroke, HMS P***, and HMS Tam*** (I cannot read the descriptions of the latter).

My Gt uncle, who appears in the photo, was Lieut RNR and reported to HMS Attentive III in February 1918 for command of a minesweeper trawler for minesweeping duties in Area 11.

Does anyone have information on the photograph, the Trawler Patrol, and Area 11?

Rob

I have a similar image "Officers and Company, Drifter Patrol, Dover, November 1918" - any thoughts on what this is ?

Hello Paul

I have just come across your message but am sorry to say I cannot help. Suggest you make a post requesting information on this topic and I am confident you are likely to receive a positive response.

Regards

Rob