Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Bayonet

Old Tom

Hello,

I have a German WW1 bayonet which is to be auctioned to help raise funds for a regimental memorial to be erected on the Somme. I would be grateful if anyone can give an indication of value so that a sensible reserve can be set.

The bayonet is marked on the hilt end of the left face of the blade.

WAFFEN FABRIK

MAUSER AG

OBERNDORF aN

And, on the back of the blade

a crown

W

and another N?.

The blade is in good order with some slight pitting. I seems to have been greaed throughout its life. The hilt is complete with wooden grips, the bayonet catch works. The metal parts of the hilt have been painted black.

The scabbard is complete and is also painted black . At some time in its life it has been rusty and is pitted under the paint.

Thanks,

Old Tom

Hello 'Old Tom'

Could you post a couple of pics of the bayonet and scabbard, as this is always better in such circomstances in assessing a value? Your bayonet could be one of several types, and each hold their own specific value.

Seph

Hello,

On second thoughts a few dimensions may help. The blade is 14.25" from hilt to point. It is 1.25" wide at 3" from the point and tapers to 1" at the hilt.

Old Tom

Sounds like you have an example of the '98/05' Butcher Blade, manufactured in 1916. This is denated by the blades spine stamping of 'Crown-W-16'. These vary in price acording to mark, makers stamping and overall condition. However, I would happily put an estimate of 150.GBP. I'm sure that a forum chum who specializes in this particular type of bayonet can give you a more acurate apraisal.

Good Luck with your auction, its for a superb cause.

Seph

post-3524-1195840776.jpg

Hello,

I hope I have attached a picture - dammed tricky this technology.

I am surprised at the USA estimate, however its a good cause if anyone at the auction will offer that sort of money. I'm inclined to doubt it! Any offers from anyone in UK?

Does anyone have any idea of what a UK buyer would/should offer?

By the way, why are these called 'Butcher bayonets'. I know that pioneers has a saw edge bayonet. Does butcher imply use by a provision service, or was it simply a case of being derogatory to the enemy?

Old Tom

the scabbard appears to be repainted. Blade stained. On a fair it would fetch about 40-60£ max, someone who might want to contribute to the monument might be willin to put in more

the scabbard appears to be repainted. Blade stained. On a fair it would fetch about 40-60£ max, someone who might want to contribute to the monument might be willin to put in more

I have to agree with Eparges, I thought the estimate of £150 was very high (if it was absolutely mint, it would fetch maybe that), as examples in the condition shown can still easily be found in the Uk in the region of £45-65. Of course, for charity, someone might dig deeper for a good cause...

Hello,

Thanks for the information. That seems a more feasible price. I had said, first post, that the scabbard had been painted as have the metal parts of the hilt. The blade when the picture was taken was smeared with grease as are the 'springs' in the scabbard. They would clean up quite easily.

Old Tom