Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photographs

johnreed

Just a few photographs out of an Album which is in pieces.

John

post-1365-1195679663.jpg

I would guess RA and RE Cadets at the Royal Military Academy (aka The Shop)

Your not wrong, my married quarter was the other side of the common.

John

Great photos John. My grandad (in RGA) could tie just about any knot (so my dad tells me).

Susan.

If RE's are an option - wonder if the Major Brunner pictured is the same one referred to in Brigantian's post of 6th Aug 2005

The 6 E Yorks were accompanied by half of 67 Field Company RE during the attack on Tekke Tepe.

The role of the Engineers was, “to assist in placing the hill in a state of defence”. The 67 FCRE war diary records that, “The O/C Coy (Major Brunner) was lost while accompanying O/C E Yorkshires during the retreat”.

On p28 of his book, John Still describes a conversation with a sapper major, who was later bayoneted in cold blood. This is almost certainly a reference to Major Brunner.

Captain Elliott, 6 East Yorks, who was taken prisoner with Lieutenant Still, later stated in a report outlining the circumstances of his capture, that Major Brunner, Lt Still & Lt Col Moore joined him near the top of Tekke Tepe before the retirement. It therefore appears that the Engineers accompanied the E Yorks all the way.

Regards

Mark

CWGC shows -

BRUNNER, FRANCIS WILFRED

Initials: F W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Engineers

Unit Text: 67th Field Coy

Date of Death: 09/08/1915

Additional information: Son of Henry Brunner; husband of Margaret Emilia Brunner, of 36, Grosvenor Place, London.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Special Memorial A. 8.

Cemetery: GREEN HILL CEMETERY

Cheers

Sue

of the names individuals:

Major Brunner was

Major F W Brunner RE Chief Instructor in Military Engineering - apptd Sept 1910

Col Graham-Thompson -- might this be the commandant Col Andrew Graham Thomson RE(commandant 1910 until the summer of 1912? - the 'Shop Story' says summer 1911)

david

ould be fascinated to see more as had relatives at woolwich amongst the cadets 1910-11 and 1913-14

John

I have recently found that my great grandfather Rifleman Robert James Merritt Standen was in the 1/18th Batt London reg. I am desperately looking for a photo of him or the regiment. He was posted to the front in jan 1916 and wounded in 1917 and I think he was a farrier. Can anyone help my research?

Matt Buck

John

I have recently found that my great grandfather Rifleman Robert James Merritt Standen was in the 1/18th Batt London reg. I am desperately looking for a photo of him or the regiment. He was posted to the front in jan 1916 and wounded in 1917 and I think he was a farrier. Can anyone help my research?

Matt Buck

John

John

Matt Buck

• 3 weeks later...

On the basis of the 1912 Army list I would suggest the Capt H Wilson is Capt EEB Holt Wilson DSO, Royal Engineers - a commander of a company of gentleman cadets in 1912 ..

thanks again for showing the pics .. the 1912 Army list confirms Major Brunner was chief instructor in military engineering etc .. and Col A G Thompson was commandant

david

• 6 years later...

Photo No 3

Photo No 4

Photo No 3

Photo No 4

Can I use photo 4 of Major WF Brunner in a piece about the men of 67th Fieeld coy RE remembered in St Marys Newark

We are researching the men named in memorials in St Marys church Newark At present I am using the one to 67th field company RE

major Brunner is at beginning of the dedication plate . I am using the IWM lives project I shall try to attach photos