Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information about my Great Uncle.

gazrad

Hi every one,

I am attempting to find out what happened to my Great Uncle. His name was Charles Robert Beeton, Private, #12468, 1st Bn Leicestershire Regiment. Killed 16th Febuary 1917. He is burried in Calais Southern Cemetary. My problem is the Leicestershire Reg Roll of Honour, lists him as "Died of wounds", but the WGC inform me he died of desease. How can I find out what happened to him?

Thank you.

Gary.

Hi every one,

I am attempting to find out what happened to my Great Uncle. His name was Charles Robert Beeton, Private, #12468, 1st Bn Leicestershire Regiment. Killed 16th Febuary 1917. He is burried in Calais Southern Cemetary. My problem is the Leicestershire Reg Roll of Honour, lists him as "Died of wounds", but the WGC inform me he died of desease. How can I find out what happened to him?

Thank you.

Gary.

Gary,

Unless you have access, a kind member here may be able to check and see if Charles' Service Record is among those recently released on the Ancestry website.

Good hunting!

Dave

Gary

The remnants of your G.uncle's service papers are available via Ancestry. I had a quick whizz through but there is nothing on the cause of death - lots of other interesting material though.

I am having problems with my adobe dowloads at the moment so some other good soul will be along shortly and help you with them.

Regards

Mel

Yes, they are on Ancestry.

Enlisted 16-9-1914, age 39. A cycle polisher by trade.

Numbered 3/12468, and posted to the Leicestershire Regiment Depot for training, 16-9-1914

Posted to 3rd Bn. Leicestershire Regiment, 4-10-1914

Posted to 2nd Bn Leicestershire Regiment, 12-12-1914

Posted to 1st (?) Bn, Leicestershire Regiment, 13-11-1915

Elected to continue in the Army for the Duration of the war, 14-4-1916

Unreadable section... (2 or 3 lines), possibly only the notification of death.

Served in France from 12-12-1914 to 16-2-1917, continuous.

Had previously served 11 years in the 1st ?????? (tear in form!). It would probably be worth looking in the Discharge Records in WO97 at the National Archives (not online) to see if he has a record there.

There is no indication of how he died on the surviving records. The records are incomplete, and torn in places.

Soldiers Died in the Great War (SDGW) lists:

Name: BEETON, Charles

Regiment, Corps etc.: Leicestershire Regiment

Battalion etc.: 1st Battalion.

Last name: Beeton

First name(s): Charles

Initials: C

Birthplace: St. Margaret's, Leicester

Enlisted: Leicester

Residence: -

Number: 12468

Date died: 16 February 1917