Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Suffolks

DavoT

Hi all,

new to the forum and continually researching 7991 Private Harry OAKLEY 2/Suffolks. He was a pre-war soldier (enlisted 1910). Is there a compiled list of survivors or POW's from the Le Cateau action. Thanks in advance.

David

I've not seen one mentioned on the Forum, and I have an interest (see signature).

There have been a few topics on the subject including postings of pictures of the effects on the companies upon mustering after the battle - very sobering.

A fair few of the Suffolks ended up at Doberitz, as did my great-uncle. It is one name that crops up a lot with the 2nd Suffolks (though I may just be sensitive to the combination of names), but no doubt many men went elsewhere.

Although I know that my relative was at Doberitz (his service records survive relatively intact), I don't know much about his time there.

The main list of the missing appeared in the Times of 31-10-1914, but Oakley and Brooksbank aren't on it....

Try searching the Forum using +Suffolk +Cateau as Search pararmeters.

Steve.

Hi David,

There is no sign of 7991 Pte Harry Oakley as a PoW in any of the lists of prisoners published in the Suffolk Regiment Gazettes throughout 1916 (the Gazettes stop in Sept 1914, there is one full year in 1916, and they restart again in July 1920).

As far as I know there was no formal list of casualties although it's true to say that there were far more survivors than originally thought. Many of those who were 'missing' at roll call the following morning did turn up over the next few days and weeks.

Most of the OR PoWs went to Doberitz as Steve says although many later moved to other camps.

I attach two photographs I used in a talk about 2/Suffolk at Le Cateau (or Lee Catoo as the old boys always called it) last year; the original is the Battalion, at War strength, at Curragh Camp, Dublin the day before they sailed for France. The second is a manipulated version showing the roll call the morning following the battle and the state of each of the four Companies.

Cheers,

Taff

post-1565-1195601323.jpg

post-1565-1195601337.jpg

post-1565-1195601834.jpg

Hi Steve and Taff,

thankyou both for your replies. I have already performed a search and found Taff's attached photo's - yes, very sobering indeed. From what information I have to date he survived the war (yet to search for his records though). If indeed he did and stayed with the 2/Suffolks he certainly would have done his bit. His medal trio is a constant reminder of his service.

Cheers,

David