Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SCOUT REGIMENT and SIGNALLING TELESCOPES

philsr

It looks real to me. The fakes tend to be clumsy - they're often smaller overall, use an udersized objective lens to save cost (sometimes single-element and non-achromatic), don't have proper cases, sometimes mis-spell inscriptions, and use heavy, straight-parallel knurling on flanges.

Don't readily know to repair the damage to your leather work, but I do think it's genuine. Try a saddler for a strap, or buy plain leather rifle slings and trim them narrower - you might have to link a couple together. That may not be the real thing, but it's a legitimate fix and works if you want to carry it in walks etc.

Edited by MikB

4 minutes ago, MikB said:

It looks real to me. The fakes tend to be clumsy - they're often smaller overall, use an udersized objective lens to save cost (sometimes single-element and non-achromatic), don't have proper cases, sometimes mis-spell inscriptions, and use heavy, straight-parallel knurling on flanges.

Don't readily know to repair the damage to your leather work, but I do think it's genuine. Try a saddler for a strap, or buy plain leather rifle slings and trim them narrower - you might have to link a couple together. That may not be the real thing, but it's a legitimate fix and works if you want to carry it in walks etc.

Thanks MikB, it is great to get an additional opinion. I'm not too worried about scratches and scrapes etc as it is going into a No4T kit that has been well used. Just happy it is original after i sold my left arm to get it!

2 hours ago, Will82 said:

Thanks MikB, it is great to get an additional opinion. I'm not too worried about scratches and scrapes etc as it is going into a No4T kit that has been well used. Just happy it is original after i sold my left arm to get it!

On your question about cleaning and servicing - I never sent mine to anyone. If you take it apart you need to take note of which lenses screw in where and - in the case of the objective -which way round each lens is. Clean with ordinary specs cleaning fluid and a soft, clean cotton rag. If the felt linings in the gland sleeves are damaged, they can be replaced with flannelette cut to size - 4 x 2 .303 patches worked well for me. Dents in body or tubes can be taken out with a suitable bar (which you might have to make or modify to avoid damaging screwthreads) held in a vice and careful work with a soft-faced hammer.

4 minutes ago, MikB said:

On your question about cleaning and servicing - I never sent mine to anyone. If you take it apart you need to take note of which lenses screw in where and - in the case of the objective -which way round each lens is. Clean with ordinary specs cleaning fluid and a soft, clean cotton rag. If the felt linings in the gland sleeves are damaged, they can be replaced with flannelette cut to size - 4 x 2 .303 patches worked well for me. Dents in body or tubes can be taken out with a suitable bar (which you might have to make or modify to avoid damaging screwthreads) held in a vice and careful work with a soft-faced hammer.

Thanks again, MikB. I really enjoy mucking around with gear like that so will probably give it a go. Would love to be able to use it properly.  

Of course, the Scout Reg is a WW2 telescope, even though largely design-driven by WW1 experience, so I'd better stop talking about it, or Mods'll get me... :o

Edited by MikB