The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Presentation riding crop

tocemma

Hello all,

Whilst sorting through my collection in the past few days I came across a riding crop presented in 1917. I illustrate this below. It carries the following inscription 'Presented to

Captain W. B. Wood, 1/6th Norfolks., by Lt. Col. MacKendrick D.S.O., Road V (Roman numeral) Canadian Engineers, made from Cloth Hall, front door Ypres 1917.

Whilst it is unlikley that anyone will now know why it was presented, I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has any information, however slight, on Captain Wood or Lt. Col. Mackendrick. I would also like to to know something of Road V, Canadian Engineers from anyone with knowledge of this unit.

Below: The crop Two views of the inscription:

post-7141-1195501687.jpg post-7141-1195501780.jpg post-7141-1195501828.jpg

Thank you

Tocemma

The white object on the top of the cane appears to be a telegraph insulator. Perhaps this is a clue to the duties of the unit.

The white object on the top of the cane appears to be a telegraph insulator. Perhaps this is a clue to the duties of the unit.

There was me thinking it was a door handel silly me was to engrossed in the item a great item though. Any chance Santa would find it in his bag for me :D

Dan