Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Researching Soldier

SpiderRAR

Hi all,

I have recently come in to possession of a British War Medal for a Pte 13532C. REID K.O.Sco.Bord. A check on the war graves site revealed that he was KIA France 25/09/1916 and was serving with the 2nd Bn KOSB at the time. I have a photo copy of his MIC and it indicated he was in the 8th Bn KOSB. I have no date of birth etc and I'm anable to find any more information on him. My difficulty is distance as I'm in Australia, but I find myself wanting to know all about this soldier and his movements, where he fell etc. Is there anyone who could help me in the right direction or knows any history of the KOSB.

Regards, Adam

Australia

SDGW records:

Charles Reid, L/CPL, 13582

King's Own Scottish Borderers, 2nd Battalion

Born Galashiels, Selkirk

Enlisted Jedburgh, Roxburgh

Residence Jedburgh, Roxburgh

Died 25 Sept 1916

Killed in action

Theatre France & Flanders

Doug

Adam

Does the MIC have a date of entry for July 1915?

Your man was obviously a Kitchener volunteer and probably arrived in France with the 8th Battalion. He was transferred to the 2nd Battalion as a draft probably to make good the losses incurred during the Somme.

He was killed on the opening day of the Battle of Morval during the Somme campaign.

Regards

Mel

SDGW records:

Charles Reid, L/CPL, 13582

King's Own Scottish Borderers, 2nd Battalion

Born Galashiels, Selkirk

Enlisted Jedburgh, Roxburgh

Residence Jedburgh, Roxburgh

Died 25 Sept 1916

Killed in action

Theatre France & Flanders

Doug

Thanx Doug,

what are the SDGW records, this will help with future research.

Regartds Adam

Adam

Does the MIC have a date of entry for July 1915?

Your man was obviously a Kitchener volunteer and probably arrived in France with the 8th Battalion. He was transferred to the 2nd Battalion as a draft probably to make good the losses incurred during the Somme.

He was killed on the opening day of the Battle of Morval during the Somme campaign.

Regards

Mel

Hi Mel,

thanx for the reply, date of entry was the 10/07/1915 which is right for the 8 KOSB. Thanx for the battle, I'm very new at this, in fact it is the first medal I have attempted to research. I must admit it has been exciting. Do war Diaries exhist for 8 KOSB and 2 KOSB which was the unit he was killed in.

Cheers, Adam

Thanx Doug,

what are the SDGW records, this will help with future research.

Regards Adam

Doug, done some research, I now know what the SDGW is :-), do I have to shell out $500.00 for it, or is it available in major libraries etc?

Regards Adam

Hi Adam,

You may be able to get access at some libraries. It can be viewed at Findmypast.com. - for the cost of a subscription.

Or, of course, you could post a lookup request on the Forum. There is usually someone on with access.

Doug