Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Carnoy, Somme - June 1916

LarryR

Hello all

I am new to this excellent site.

I am looking for any information/pointers in relation to actions involving of the Royal London Fusiliers ("RLF") in and around Carnoy, Somme in June 1916. My grandfather's brother Pvt Joseph Rawlinson of the RLF aged 24 was killed in the area on 28 June 1916 in what is believed by my family to have been a preliminary skirmish prior to commnecement of the main battle on 1 July 1916. I recently visited his grave in Carnoy military cemetery - a very moving experience for me and my 16 yr old son - one which brings home the sacrifice that all these men gave for their country and in the cause of freedom

Thanks

Larry

Hi there - I am presuming this is your man?

Name: RAWLINSON

Initials: J J E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Fusiliers

Unit Text: 20th Bn.

Date of Death: 28/06/1916

Service No: 9137

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: G. 14.

Cemetery: CARNOY MILITARY CEMETERY

There is no such thing as 'RLF' - they are just the Royal Fusiliers. In this case, your relative was in the 20th Battalion, which was a Public Schools battalion although there were few Public School boys left in it by 1916. They had come to France in late 1915, and served for some months in the Cambrin sector in Northern France before coming down to the Somme. He must have been one of their first casualties on the Somme, while in reserve for the Somme offensive. It could be they were carrying materials up to the front and got shelled - but only a look at the War Diary would tell you that. You'll find that at the National Archives in London. Hope that helps.

Hi - two identical threads running here. Can Mods merge them, please, or can the original poster close one?

Could get confusing!

Thanks to all for responding to this message so quickly in particular Paul Reed

I will amend heading to read 20th Royal Fusiliers so as to avoid confusion and duplicating threads

Pvt Joseph Rawlinson is buried in grave G14 Carnoy Military cemetery and his headstone reads Royal Fusiliers. I got the reference " Royal London Fusiliers " from family papers and as he came from Willesden I did not query it before. Thanks again.

Larry

Larry,

Please see the other topic, as I don't believe that the 20th Royal Fusiliers could have been near Carnoy any time before 10th July 1916.

Steve.