Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

Sue,

I`m looking for details of 2 Pelsall men who served.

The first is Jabez Edwards who was killed in action at Epehy in August 1918 with 1/7 Norfolks.

The other is for his father, Albert Edwards. I am not sure if Albert Edwards did serve in the war, he may have been a reservist.These are both relatives of my wifes family.

Any help would be gratefully received

Regards

Jim

Would it be possible to check for Albert William Kendall, initial service with the royal warwicks 15617 and then RGA 194486 with whom he died in 1918 (influenza)

Sue

Could you have a look and see if there's anything about Joseph Black (Pte 16420 kia 1 June 1918) and his brother William Black (L/Cpl 16337 kia 22 March 1916) both 18th Lancashire Fusiliers, so possibly on the short side!

Both were born Walsall but resident Tipton.

Many thanks

Andy

Jim, Andy and Wulsten. I have searched the index and the Walsall Roll Of Honour which was published in the Walsall Observer in 1919 and have found the following.

Jim whilst neither of the men you are looking for appear in the index I would suggest that you try to get hold of a copy of Ken Waymans book The True and Faithful Men. Pelsall Servicemen in the Great war 1914 1918. It has a lot of information on Jabez Edwards and a very nice A4 photograph of his grave. Ken is a member of the Forum so you might want to send him a message.

Sorry Walsten Albert William Kendall does not appear in the index or on the Roll.

Andy. Joseph Black does not appear in the index but there is a William Black Lancashire Fusiliers of Narrow lane Pleck Walsall whose photograph appears in the Walsall Observer 15-4-1918. It says that he had been killed. He also appears on the Roll of Honour. If you decide to visit Walsall Local History Centre to look at the photo I would suggest that if there is not a report with it, try searching a couple of weeks before and a couple afterwards. There is also another Walsall newspaper for which Jeff Elson has compiled an index. It is the index to the Walsall Pioneer and you will find it on the shelves at the history centre. Hope that this is of help. Best wishes Sue S

Sue,

Not sure if your database is computerised or not. is it possible to search by regt/corps? if so can you please search to see what you have for men in the Tank Corps/

Thanks

Tanks3

Hi Sue,

Could you have a look to see if there is anything for a Frank Clifton Cooke. Im not sure which regiment he served in but he was a Walsall resident.

Thanks in advance

Simon

Hi Wulsten Tank3 and Simon the replies to your queries are as follows;

I can only search the index by name not by regiment etc but I have done some research on Geoffrey Ernest Stephens of the Tank Corps who was an Aldridge man. Let me know if that would be of interest, and feel free to send me any names to search for.

Nuneaton is a long way out of the area covered by the index sorry.

There is no mention of Frank Clifton Cooke in the index although there are several Cook/Cookes. One of them may be a brother and if so the report in the newspaper often mentions other members of the family. If this is of interest let me know the names of any brothers or the area of Walsall in which Frank lived. Best wishes Sue S

Sue, many thanks for the look up, would the Walsall newspaper cover the village of Bulkington which i think may come under Nuneaton ?

Highly unlikely. Bulkington is in Warks not Staffs and is 4 miles south of Nuneaton and six miles from Coventry!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Sue,

Could you check:

HAROLD VICTOR HACKETT 1557 ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY and ERIC JAMES HACKETT 831404 RFA

Many thanks,

Jonathan

Sue....

Thanks for your kind look-up offer and for having done all the work in the first place. I have a copy of "Walsall People in the Second World War", 1995, which I am guessing is one of your earlier endeavours.

I am wondering if there is a mention of the following:

Cpl. Edwin Sheldon, Sherwood Foresters

- E.J. Nunn, RWR.

Both survived.

Thanks.

Chris

Hello Jonathan. Ther are three photographs in the Walsall Observer. Harold Hackett of Butts Street 20-4-1918 wounded.

Victor Hackett of Butts Street 23-10-1915 wounded. Wallace Hackett High Bridge Pelsall 20-11-915 Killed. Hope that this is of help. Sue S

Sorry Chris, there are several Sheldons but not an Edwin, and the only Nunn is George. Sorry not to be of help this time but please feel free to ask if there is any thing in the future. Sue

Sue

I failed to do the decent thing and to thank you for your reply of December 28th. Apologies for my forgetfulness and many thanks.

regards

Andy

Does you index include battles? I'm keen to trace pictures etc of participants in Zeebrugge Raid 22-23/4/18. Don't have any names offhand I'm afraid.

Many thanks,

Dom

Hi Sue

I'm after Cpl. 204326 Frederick William Heath 21st Battalion CEF (DOW 11.10.18) who gives his parents and wife's address as Lynton, Streetly.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Chris. My index was published in 1998. Although my fee was donated to charity, I am still not sure whether I will be breaking forum rules by advertising if I post the details here. I will send you a PM. Sue

Hi Dave, Hope that you are well. The photograph of Fredk Wm Heath appears in the Walsall Observer 2-11-1918. His rank is given as Sergeant. Died of wounds at a field ambulance in the Cambrai sector whilst serving with the Canadians. Had been in France for 2 years. Old boy of Sutton Grammar( in good company then) and after being in busines with his father for some time he went to Canada to take up farming. Joined the Royal West Mounted Police being in charge of several men at a Prairie Station. His wife came from Weston- Super -Mare. Parents live at 'Lynton' Streetly. Father was a member of the firm of Butler and Heath School Street Walsall. Hope that this is of interest. Regards Sue

Sue

Thanks very much for the info that helps to fill in some gaps.

Is the Walsall Observer available on micro-fiche etc. in Walsall Library and would I be able to print or scan a photo from it?

Dave

Hi Dave. The Observer is on microfilm and Walsall Local History Centre only have two machines so I suggest that you ring to reserve one before you set out. 01922 721305

They do have a couple of machines where you can get copies on a self service basis at 50p per A4 sheet.

There should be a copy of my book on the shelf which will list all other local sources which may be of interest. I would particularly suggest that you look at Jeff Elson's index to the Walsall Pioneer which can be found on the shelves at the Centre. If you find anything of interest ask for the original to be brought out from the archives. They are in fantastic condition and should give you a very good photocopy. Regards Sue