Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

Thanks for reporting on this do you happen to have any more information on Pte S Moorcroft from Bloxwich eg Service number please.

I'm trying to find all men who enlisted in ww1 from Bloxwich, Blakenall and Leamore for my website http://bloxwichteam.wixsite.com/bloxwich-remembers and Pte Moorcroft is one I did not have, so many thanks for listing him. If you have any other names I'd be interested.

Thanks again.

George

• 1 month later...
On 25/02/2016 at 20:15, theodore said:

Hi Sue

Do you any reports on Pte. / L/Cpl 8913 Peter Small?

Regards

Peter

Hi,

I know this was posted a long time ago, but Peter Small 8913 was my Great Grandfather. Is there any more information about him? I have his medal card from the National Archives, and know he received the Silver War Medal/Badge and he was in Gheluvelt. He was also part of the Antediluvian Order of Buffaloes, but can't find out much more. Any information or links would be greatly appreciated! 

Hi

Unfortunately there is nothing in the papers about your relative.

The MiC shows an address in Darlaston and 2 Worcs. but that is all I have, sorry,

If you do not have Ancestry, you should be able to gain free access at the library and download his Silver Medal card

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/collections/silverwarbadgemedals/?name=_small&count=50&f-F8007A65=8913&f-F8007A65_x=1&name_x=_psx

This will give you his joining and discharge dates.

The WD is here for a small fee

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7351976

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353849

You can then see what he did every day of his service (bar leave illness etc.) !!

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks alot for the information. I shall check it out, I also have a photo of him in later life, at an Old Contemptibles Meeting, mid 50s I reckon. If that's any use to anyone here. 

15435185497211000010154580086092.jpg

• 11 months later...

Hi Sue I am looking for photo/information of my great uncle Harry Causer. He was a private in 1st Battalion, Somerset Light Infantry regiment. He was born in Walsall in 1895. He died of wounds23rd July 1917 aged 22 years. He is buried in St. Nicolas cemetery in France

Hi,

Bad news, I'm afraid. There is no picture of your relative in any of the local newspapers. I've been after one myself.

As a consolation, here is the War Diary entry for you. I do not know when he was wounded but on the night of Saturday 21 July 1917 his battalion relieved the 1st Battalion, Rifle Brigade the Pelves sector.

“21 July 1917 - Quiet day. The battalion relieved the 1st Battalion, Rifle Brigade in Pelves sector. Good relief, quickly carried out. Quiet night.

22 July 1917 - Fine day; quiet.

23 July 1917 - Fine. Front line heavily shelled: 6 other ranks casualties.

24 July 1917 - Fine. Dummy raid on enemy’s front line; no casualties from enemy’s barrage.”

So, possibly wounded and died on the same day.

I have this on him,

Harry was born in Darlaston to Samuel and Emma (née Griffiths) Causer of 59, Catherine’s Cross, Darlaston, his father being a coal miner and later a self employed boot repairer.

Possibly a coal miner, Harry enlisted in the Northumberland Fusiliers with regimental number 14191 at Cramlington, Northumberland in October 1914 and transferred to the 8th Battalion, Somerset Light Infantry with regimental number 15630 prior to being drafted to France on Wednesday 8 September 1915.

He was 22 years of age.

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

• 1 month later...

Hi people any chance you have a photo of Percy Edwin Bailey 20445 RGA he was presented with his MM by the Duke of Connaught at Cannon Hill Park 16th October 1917 . Are there any photos of him or the ceremony? thank you Rob ( British Medal forum )

Edited by R.S.

11 hours ago, R.S. said:

Hi people any chance you have a photo of Percy Edwin Bailey 20445 RGA he was presented with his MM by the Duke of Connaught at Cannon Hill Park 16th October 1917 . Are there any photos of him or the ceremony? thank you Rob ( British Medal forum )

I have an article where he is named amongst the recipients (no photo)...is that of interest?

Hi Rob,

I have checked the Walsall Observer and the Pioneer but no photo in the newspapers.

Can I ask where and when he resided in Walsall ?

Regards,

Graeme

Hello is there a chance you would have photos of Sgt R H Allen Dorsetshire Regt born and bred Birmingham please?  We have a faded copy from a newspaper but would hope there is something else out there.  Also John Thomas Perry Coldstream Guards from or lived in Walsall was a POW and I am told was incorrectly recorded as a Grenedier Guard.  Also Alfred Fairbrother Royal Warwickshire Regt KIA - if there is a photo then we would be extremely grateful to see it thank you. 

Edited by Alisonmallen62

20 hours ago, R.S. said:

Hi Sadbrewer yes that would be great. I am

new here shall I Pm you my email ? Rob

Here you go Rob....from the British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20200101-110140.jpg

14 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Hello is there a chance you would have photos of Sgt R H Allen Dorsetshire Regt born and bred Birmingham please?  We have a faded copy from a newspaper but would hope there is something else out there.  Also John Thomas Perry Coldstream Guards from or lived in Walsall was a POW and I am told was incorrectly recorded as a Grenedier Guard.  Also Alfred Fairbrother Royal Warwickshire Regt KIA - if there is a photo then we would be extremely grateful to see it thank you. 

A snippet about Sergeant Allen from a list of MM recipients, published January 1919.

Screenshot_20200101-114058.jpg

A photo from the Birmingham Gazette, Oct 8th 1918.

From The British Newspaper Archive. 

Screenshot_20200101-115039.jpg

Before the War he was in the employ of Messrs Youngs, Great Russell Street.

Edited by sadbrewer

John Thomas Perry of the Coldstream Gds was from Bham and was a POW

Thank you for your efforts we do have that newspaper photo of Reg Allen and it was how we discovered he had a MM! What a shock when it turned up in Birmingham library!  He was an engineer in the motor trade originally.   I just thought there may be something else or for his father in law and brothers in law the Fairbrothers.  John Thomas Perry moved to Birmingham for work but was born inWednesbury.  He was the father of Reg’s daughter in law.  We have never seen him as a young man though we know he was a POW.  Thank you again much appreciated.  

• 4 months later...
On 15/12/2007 at 06:19, Terry Carter said:

Sue

I would like to now if there is any info of John (Jack) Price Painter M.M. He came from Shire Oak, Walsall Wood. He originally enlisted into the Worcester Regiment in 1915 and gave a false age. He was discharged in November 1915 as under age. However he won a Military Medal with the Royal Fusiliers (service number 75761) in October 1918.

An older brother, Thomas Henry Painter, DOW on 10 April, 1918, with the 9 Loyal North Lancs having formerly servd with the Durham Light Infantry (40058).

I work with a distant relative of the family.

Regards

Terry

Hello Terry, 

My name is Joanne. Pte John (Jack) Painter was my granddad, although I never met him. He died before I was born but I can tell you that his Military Medal was given to the Fusiliers Museum in the Tower of London on his death, along with the illuminated scroll the people of Walsall presented him with on his return (they also gave him a gold watch but that didn't last long because he was a coal miner with 9 children to feed). The local press would often ask to interview Jack but he always refused, saying war was futile and poor people always paid the highest price. He had two other medals but they were lost along the way. He held onto his Military Medal because he was extremely proud of it. This is him holding it at some point after his return - quite a long time I'd say, judging by his age in the photo. The photo was very faded and old but I've done my best to clean it up. 

Grandad - edited.jpg

Morning Joanne,

Many thanks for posting the picture of your grandfather, brilliant image.

I have this on him, not much I'm afraid.

John Price was born in Walsall Wood to Job and Rosehannah (née Price) Painter of 3, Walsall Road, Walsall Wood and later of Salters Road, Walsall Wood, his father being a coal mine hewer.

He enlisted in the 6th Battalion, Worcestershire Regiment with regimental number 22321 at Darlaston on Monday 3 May 1915. He was discharged, however, on Monday 29 November 1915 due to ‘having made a mis-statement as to age on enlistment’.

He then enlisted in the 9th Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment with regimental number 59304 and was drafted to France on Tuesday 19 March 1918 transferring to the 7th Battalion, Royal Fusiliers with regimental number 75761 on Thursday 21 March 1918. He was awarded the Military Medal towards the end of the war.    

He had other brothers who served.

Thomas Henry as mentioned in your post above. I have a full bio of him if you are interested.

Gerald Richard, served in the King’s Royal Rifle Corps with regimental number 9571 and was drafted to France on Sunday 20 December 1914 being wounded in the arm in early 1915. He later served in the Royal Air Force with regimental number 147671 and the Labour Corps with regimental number 127487. He survived the war.

Kenneth Frederick, was killed during the Second World War in Italy on Wednesday 13 September 1944.  He served as Private 5255845 in the 2/7th Battalion, The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey). Again I have some details if you are interested.

Regards,

Graeme

Pics from local Walsall Observer newspapers. Cannot recall where parent's pics are from.

job.jpg

rosannah.jpg

painter th.jpg

painter g.jpg

painter.jpg

Hello Graeme,

Thank you so much for all of this! I would very much appreciate the info you have on Thomas and Kenneth if you would be kind enough to post it for me.

Kind regards

Jo

Edited by Guest

Hi 

On Kindle at the moment but will post in the morning.

Please feel free to correct or add anything in my research, it is only my

Interpretation of the available documents.

Regards,

Graeme

Morning Jo,

Thomas Henry PAINTER

Private 29340

9th Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

Died in France on Wednesday 10 April 1918

Thomas was born in Walsall Wood to Job and Rosehannah (née Price) Painter of 3, Walsall Road, Walsall Wood and later of Salters Road, Walsall Wood, his father being a coal mine hewer.

A miner at the Aldridge Colliery, Thomas enlisted in the Durham Light Infantry with regimental number 40058 at Walsall on Tuesday 27 February 1917. He transferred to the Manchester Regiment with regimental number 44891, seeing service overseas in the 2/8th and 12th Battalions, and at some stage transferred to the 9th Battalion, Loyal North Lancashire Regiment, most probably after being wounded in September 1917. He had only returned to France for thirteen days after being invalided home when he met his death.

At 2.15pm on Tuesday 9 April 1918 Thomas’s battalion left Bulford Camp at Neuve Eglise with orders to counter attack German positions at de la Bourbette, push the Germans over the River Lys and defend the bridgehead. At 5pm the battalion formed up for the attack near Le Kirlem and commenced the advance. Almost immediately casualties were taken to enemy fire from Croix du Bac. So fierce was the fire that no further advance could be made and the battalion dug in.

At 3am the following morning the attack was resumed with the battalion making good progress. “A”, “B” and “C” Companies led with “D” Company in support. The first attack failed to dislodge the enemy who were in force in and around the village of Croix du Bac supported by machine guns. A further attack was made at 4.30am and this time the battalion fought through the village establishing themselves on the north bank of the River Lys.

Unfortunately the attack on the battalion’s left had not been so successful and the flank was open revealing the battalion to machine gun fire causing many casualties. At about 7am the situation was so bad that the battalion was forced to retire from the river bank.

At some time after 9am the Germans counter attacked astride the Croix du Bac-Bac St. Maur road forcing a general withdrawal, the battalion being forced to relinquish Le Kirlem.

Casualties amounted to 100 other ranks killed.

Wounded in the action, Thomas was moved to Hazebrouck where he succumbed to his injuries.

The War Diary records,

“9 April 1918 - 2.25pm. Left Bulford camp and received orders at Steenwerck for attack enemy between Point Dela Bourdrette (G.16.b.90.75) and G.18.b.9.1.

5pm. Battalion (13 officers, 880 other ranks) attacked south of Croix Du Bac. Lt. Col. W.H.M. Wienholt D.S.O. wounded. Major E.F. Nares M.C. assumed command of battalion. Battalion held a line from G.11.a.1.9 to G.6.a.2.8.

10 April 1918 - 2am. Battalion again attacked with intention to push enemy over River Lys. We reached Brickfield Post - line running thence to crossroads G.12.a.2.6, the left at G.12.a.7.6. Later line was withdrawn running G.11.a.1.9 to crossroad G.12.a.2.5 G.12.q.6.7. Battalion came under orders of 40th Division.

9am. Battalion again attacked, objective being Brickfield Post and Norfolk Post, good progress was being made when the enemy attacked astride Croix Du Bac - St. Maur Road. Our line was forced to withdraw.”

Thomas is buried in La Kreule Military Cemetery, Hazebrouck in Grave I.A.3 and is commemorated on the Walsall Wood and Brownhills rolls of honour. He was 22 years of age.

Kenneth Frederick PAINTER

Private 5255845

2/7th Battalion, The Queen’s Royal Regiment (West Surrey)

Died in Italy on Wednesday 13 September 1944

Kenneth was born on Friday 4 September 1914, the son of Job and Rosehanna (née Price) Painter, at 138, Salters Road, Walsall Wood, his father being a coal mine hewer.

He attended Walsall Wood Council School and was later employed as a labourer by Ellison Insulations Limited of Birmingham.

Kenneth was killed during operations to seize Coriano Ridge, 10 miles south east of Rimini on the Italian Adriatic coast. Attacks on the ridge commenced on Tuesday 12 September 1944 but were preceded by preliminary operations to gain the heights flanking the ridge.

The task set to Kenneth’s division, the 56th, was to seize Gemmano. His division’s attacks commenced on the night of Monday 4 September 1944 when the battalion advanced against stiff opposition.

The assault continued throughout Thursday 7 September 1944, the village and the surrounding salient points (Borgo and Point 449) being taken and lost four times by both the parties. That night Kenneth’s battalion was relieved by the 7th Battalion, Oxford & Buckinghamshire Regiment.

On Saturday 9 September 1944 his battalion managed to reinforce the Gemmano garrison with “A” Company, under command of Major Sheppard, entered the village with little opposition and by 7am Gemmano was in Allied hands.

After the capture of the Gemmano village, all the British efforts aimed to dismantle the German defences were focused on the nearby ridges which, unfortunately, remained in German hands at the time of the main assault.

In view of the heavy casualties suffered by the Queen’s Brigade, it was decided to withdraw the 56th Division from the Gemmano sector and to replace it with the 46th Division.

The respite was short lived as the battalion then took part in the attacks on Coriano Ridge. On Wednesday 13 September 1944 Kenneth’s battalion commenced operations against the ridge but were almost immediately hit by accurate shellfire killing the commander. Assisted by 7th Royal Tank Regiment, who raced around the Fabbri spur from Croce, the battalion continued its advance but taking heavy casualties.

Kenneth was buried in Coriano Ridge War Cemetery in Grave VII.A.6 on Wednesday 9 May 1945 from a battlefield burial at San Savino. He was 30 years of age and is commemorated the Walsall roll of honour, on a roll of honour in St. John’s Church, Walsall Wood, on Walsall Wood Working Men’s Club War Memorial now in Walsall Wood Football Club and on Walsall Wood Methodist Church War Memorial.

Regards,

Graeme

T h Painter a.jpg

20190911_144209 a.jpg