Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Index to Walsall newspaper

Sue S

I have compiled an index to the 5000+ photographs of servicemen which appear in the Walsall Observer from 1914 to 1919. They include dead, injured, POWs, those awarded medals and sometimes just photographs and stories from those returning from the front.

At that time the Observer covered Walsall, Aldridge, Bloxwich, Brownhills, Rushall, Streetly, Pelsall, Cheslyn Hay, Great Wyrley, Essington, Great Barr and parts of Cannock. If anyone wants any look-ups please let me know. The index has surname, Christian name or initial, address, reason for photograph and date of inclusion. Sue S

hi sue

trying to track my grandfather private James Cotterill served with the royal warwickshire and the royal scots lived in this area so im told would appreciate if you could look for me

many thanks

David

Hi Sue,

Have you come across any concert party members or former enetertainers in the course of your research?

Hello Sue....many thanks for your kind offer which am sure everyone here will be indebted to you for. Am looking for two people if you wouldn't mind.

They are......private Aaron Simmons of the South Staffs Regimen and Frederick Brown of the 2nd Bn South Staffs.

I do hope there is something for all of us who are looking.

Chris.

Sounds a very worthwhile project. If your index is computerised could you kindly pull out how many are Royal Warwickshire Regiment? My database of RWR has 50 Walsall born and 28 Walsall resident (some overlap between the two categories). Also a small number of Pelsall and Bloxwich.

I will reply in order if that is okay.

Lockwood there are four Cotterills in the index but no James. If you want to send me any more info you may including where he lived I will see if I have anything which may be of help.

Chris43 I have sent you a message.

Sorry Kate I have not come across any concert party?/entertainers.

Alan.I have sent you a message.

Regards Sue

• 4 weeks later...

Sue,

Do you have anything relating to these men all listed on the Cheslyn Hay War Memorial:

Frank RAINBOW

William Robert BOWEN

Harry GRIFFITHS

Reginald ROWLEY

Many thanks

Jon

Sue

I would like to now if there is any info of John (Jack) Price Painter M.M. He came from Shire Oak, Walsall Wood. He originally enlisted into the Worcester Regiment in 1915 and gave a false age. He was discharged in November 1915 as under age. However he won a Military Medal with the Royal Fusiliers (service number 75761) in October 1918.

An older brother, Thomas Henry Painter, DOW on 10 April, 1918, with the 9 Loyal North Lancs having formerly servd with the Durham Light Infantry (40058).

I work with a distant relative of the family.

Regards

Terry

Hello

could you let me know of any Coldstream Guards please -

in particular

Name: WILSON, ALFRED

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Coldstream Guards

Unit Text: 3rd Bn.

Date of Death: 13/04/1918

Service No: 19190

Additional information: Son of Charles Wilson, of Watling St., Brownhills; husband of Emily Wilson, of Ogley Rd., Brownhills, Walsall.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 1.

Memorial: PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL

Thank you

Have you anything on Gertrude Bytheway or Mary Julia Slater? The former was a VAD who drowned off HMHS Osmanieh and the latter was a mayor of Walsall killed from a zeppelin's bombs.

Hi Terry, Jack Painter does't appear in the index of men whose photographs are in the Walsall Observer but there is a Thos. Painter of Walsall Wood who was killed. The photograph appears in the edition of 18th May 1918 and it says that he lived in Salters Road Walsall Wood. There are also photographs ( edition date 10-6-16) of William Painter of Walsall Wood who was killed and Gerald Painter wounded 20-3-1915. The names of Walsall Wood's war dead appear on the memorial in St Johns Churchyard. I have some of the newsapaper pages in the loft and I will have a look to see if I have the dates which you are interested in, otherwise you may need to contact the Walsall Local History Centre about obtaining copies. Regards. Sue

Sue,

What an amazing project. MY GF said he lived in Cannock at some point. Any mention of a Pte. William Smith of the King's Royal Rifles? He was discharged for wounds received in 1915.

- Simon

Hi Jon, There is nothing in the index for Rainbow, Bowen or Rowley although there is an entry for a George Bowen of Hatherton Street Cheslyn Hay (27-7-1918) There is an entry for a Harry Griffiths but with no address given and his brother Williams photo appears in the same edition ie29-4-1916.

I would suggest that you check Jeff Elsons index to the Walsall Pioneer which can be found on the shelves at Walsall Local History Centre. Although the newspaper was nowhere near as big as the Observer there are a considerable number of entries. Regards Sue

Julian, Coldstreamer and Neil. The index was done for a book which was published in 1998 and in order to persuade the publishers to include an index of 5000 names at the back, information in the index is limited and does not include regiments etc. I will happily search for names if you have them.

Coldstreamer the man you asked about is not in the index but I will check Jeff Elsons index to the Walsall Pioneer next time I am at the History Centre. If you are interested in CG's in the Second World War I have info on one which may be of interest.Send me a PM as I know that it will be off topic for the forum. Regards and sorry not to be of more help. Sue S

Hi Jim, Gertrude Bytheway does not appear in the index but there may well be an article about her death as my index only covers photographs in the newspaper. There is a brief mention of her in The Walsall Observer Peace Supplement of July 1919 just saying that she was on her way to Cairo when she lost her life through the action of an enemy submarine.There is a more extensive article in the supplement regarding the night which Julia Slater was killed and a photograph of her. Perhaps you could tell me what you have on her and I will see whether I have anything to add. Best wishes Sue

Thanks for looking and fingers crossed you find something on him (and its only ww1 Im really interested in or I go off on a tangent)

cheers

Sue,

Thanks for your response. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply and offer to check your index. If you can check the following men, all 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers:

PERRY, Thomas. KIA 1914.

WALKER, Ezra. KIA 1914.

GRIFFITHS, Frank. KIA 1917.

Many thanks

Neil.

Hello Sue

ANything on Charles Edwards died August 1915 serving with 1/5th South Staffs. Died during fighting around Hill 60. Comes form Blakenall or Bloxwich

Cheers

C Edwards born and lived Wolverhampton and enlisted Bloxwich