Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NATIONAL ROLL OF THE GREAT WAR

susanhemmings

Hi Susan,

please could you check these for me - Gunner Robert Charles Feesey RGA and Driver George Henry Feesey RHA? Both from Oxfordshire/Berkshire/Buckinghamshire area.

Cheers, rick

Vea,

Nothing for either of your men.

Sorry

Susan.

David,

Nothing readily apparent on either man,

Sorry

Susan.

Rick,

Sorry, nothing for either of your men...

Susan.

• 1 month later...

Hi Susan

Would you be able to look up Corp. Walter Sheil born 26 Feb 1883 of the Royal Berkshires reg. no. 9851? We are having some difficulty tracing his military history.

Thank you so much

Sue

Hi Susan , Im sure you are inundated with requests , but if you get time could you please look up Herbert Francis Gwyer 37089 RFA , I presume he enlisted in the South as he was from Surrey ,many thanks in advance

regards Dave

Good morning Sue.

Would it be possible to look for a soldier by the name of CHARLES,PAYNE (Private) service number GS/52095.He was a Royal Fusilier,according to the Bn war diary he was killed on the 24th March 1918,but there is no mantion of him on the C.W.G.C. or on the S.D.G.W.sites Im guessing he may have turned up at some later date, and may even have survived the war and the entry in the diary may have been written in error.

Best Regards.

Andy

Evening all,

please accept my apologies. am having a bit of difficult with the old internet this evening. hopefully it will be repaired and faster tomorrow. will address your queries then.

susan.

Hi Susan,

Just picked up this thread and hoped you could do a check on the following for me if possible:

Pte. William Evans 1st Middlesex Regt DOW recieved at Le Transloy 4th Nov 1916 Buried Grove Town Cemetery living in Hareford Middlesex - LONDON

Dvr. Robert James Berry Royal Field Artillery 1915 Discharged - LONDON I believe

L/Cpl. Edward Charles Coomber 7th East Kent Regt - 3rd (Garrison) Bedfordshire Regt 1914 -1920 - KENT

Pte. Burt Tyler 23rd Middlesex Regt DOW in England 17th August 1917 Buried Chingford Mount Cemetery - ESSEX

Pte. Young Town 1st East Kent Regt, KIA at Vailly 22nd Sept 1914 and buried in CWGC Vailly - KENT

Pte William Charles Sheppard Devonshire Regt - ALDERBURY, SALISBURY - SOUTH

Many thanks,

Alan

Hi Sue,

The only W Sheil in the National Roll was a chap living in Birmingham and with the KRRC.

Also, this record is in Ancestry pension file. it is interesting in that the address when he was discharged in March 1919 is given as Upper Eddington, Hungerford, Berks.

Not sure if this is any help to you.

Susan.

Evening Dave,

Nothing for Herbert I am sorry.

Susan.

Hi Sue,

The only W Sheil in the National Roll was a chap living in Birmingham and with the KRRC.

Also, this record is in Ancestry pension file. it is interesting in that the address when he was discharged in March 1919 is given as Upper Eddington, Hungerford, Berks.

Not sure if this is any help to you.

Susan.

Evening Alan,

Cannot find anything for any of your men in National Roll.

Also looked on Ancestry in Pension and Service records for each one. Cannot find a thing. Sorry,

Have managed to download some MIC if you have not already got them. if you would like them PM me your email and I will send them on to you.

Once again, sorry cannot find anything....

Susan.

Hi Andy, On ancestry in Pension files:

Charles Henry Marriage

[Charles Payne] abt 1871 Hackney Middlesex 15

was with East Surrey Regiment.

Off now to look at Army deaths ...... be back

Susan.

Hi Andy,

have looked everywhere I can think of - army deaths, sdgw (all of March 1918 for forename Charles) no luck on any front.

sorry,

if you need any further help, just shout. always pleased to help.

Susan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Susan - many thanks for making this kind offer.

If it isn't taking too much of a liberty, I would be very grateful if you could look up the following two names for me:

Joseph MERISON - Possibly Middlesex Regt

Mark John MERISON - Unit Unknown

They are (hopefully!) brothers from the Shoreditch/Hackney area.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Morning Paul,

The only MERISON names mentioned with the initials you ask for are the following:

J (Middlesex Regiment)

MJ (Navy)

both chaps from Edmonton. Not sure if any use to you.

MERISON_from_National_Roll.doc

Regards,

Susan.

will have a look on ancestry for you also....

Hi Paul, No "pension" records available. The service records have only been uploaded to the "G" or "H" (cannot readily remember).

The MIC section shows the following - Joseph.

post-8059-1212306786.jpg

Nothing for MJ Merison (but if the one in the previous posting is your man - naval records would need checking).....

If I can remember will look for both names once the full set of service records are uploaded (not sure when that is due by).....

You can always jog my memory though. Always pleased to help out.

Susan.

Paul - a small bit more information:

from 1901 census:

It seems as if Mark and Joseph were brothers - from the shoreditch area.

1st image shows address: 2nd image is the rest of the family: on a previous sheet of census records......

post-8059-1212308124.jpg

post-8059-1212308139.jpg

susan.

Dear Susan

I can't thank you enough for your help - I had the census image but the NRGW and MIC details are fanstastic :)

I do have Mark's Naval Service Sheet from Kew, but once upon a time searched the WO363 Microfilm and found no sign of Joseph whatsoever.

However, now I know I wasn't searching in vain! You really have been very kind.

Thanks for all your help.

Paul

• 6 years later...