Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NATIONAL ROLL OF THE GREAT WAR

susanhemmings

Good Evening Ady,

The reply I already posted was from the Leeds Section (the one that was not your man).

But, I have looked again now on the Bradford Section and come up with the attached. I do not know how or why i missed it first time round, but better late than never. My apologies to you.

It may be your man.

Living in Bradford.

Sorry its taken me so long but for some crazy reason I do not seem able to be able to use the select tool and had to type what is on the disc......

Hope it helps.

BROOK_H_Private_for_mmm45_Bradford_Nat._Roll.doc

Susan......

Patrick, not sure, but will give it a go now.

Susan.

EDIT;;;; It does not seem to like searching on Unit.

I entered a unit R.E and R.A.S.C and also Pioneer (that I could actually see listed, but it was not playing).

I think the "search" function is only of the alphabetical list of the chaps in each section.

If there is any particular name you are interested in just let me know.

Susan.

Thanks for trying Susan, I am intersted in too many names to list them but I'll try to select a few.

Patrick

Tom,

Do you know which area?

Susan.

(if not can search on the name in all discs for you)

Tom, searched all discs fof Compton.... came to Bedfordshire one;;;;; see below.. Any good.

Compton_T_Driver_RASC.doc

Susan.

Also in Service records on Ancestry there is:

Thomas Compton

Birth County: Staffs

Regiment Name: Army Service Corps

Regiment Number: 023481

Number of Images: 7

Thomas Compton

Residence: Helidon, Northamptonshire

Regiment Name: N Wales Bde Co ASC

Regiment Number: 2098

Document Year: 1915

Number of Images: 14

Thomas Smith Compton

Birth Year: abt 1887

Birth Parish: Jedburgh

Birth County: Roxburgh

Regiment Name: Army Service Corps Motor Transport

Regiment Number: ??6

Document Year: 1914

Number of Images: 28

Anything of interest to you here Tom. Would be happy to download and help.

Susan.

Patrick,

Had a look on Ancestry "service" records. Typing "Hussars" into Keyword search brings up about 587 records......(and only surnames A-C are available as yet....) but Hussars takes you to all sorts (not limited to a particular batalion - ie 20th or 14th ect). Also includes Hussars Corps, Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars etc etc.........

So, if you need any.....

On trying the same in The "Pension" section seems to give an address with Hussars in it... (not the regiment).

Thanks Susan ill have a check see if his details match but i think his deployment to France is too early for an 18th Batt man.

Ady :)

hello susan . re thomas compton a.s.c. i see in the start of this post that the soldiers had to pay to be put on the list .so i am wondering how much it was to go on the list .i think my granddad would put is money on a pint ;) tom

Tom,

Good on him. He probably could have brought the pub a round for the price it was to put an entry into the Roll. Wonder how much it was!

Ady, Let me know if i can help further.

Susan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I would be grateful if you could check on my Grandfather who survived both WW`s just in case he is listed. I have just started to research him and his career but as he survived i understand his service record is still classified.

Wilfred Lewis Marsh 14750 a driver with the RFA born 21-10-1894 originally from Kent.

Many Thanks in hope more than expectation but you never know.

Ian

Hello Ian, welcome to the forum.

The service records for WW1 (some of them anyway) and pension records (for want of a better word) are on Ancestry. As you say I do not know about ww2 records except I expect they are still classified and subject to the x amount of year rule.

I had a look on Ancestry in both sections but cannot find anything for your Wilfred. But did find a record for an unmarried ..... Wilfred Joseph Marsh, born Plumstead Kent. joined in 1891 when he was 22 years old.....

also a Thomas Marsh (thomas Cox) from Gravesend....

but the service part of the records are still being uploaded, so its anyone's guess....

I will have a look in the national roll book sometime tomorrow for you. and welcome again.

Susan.

Good Evening Sue

Do you have anything on a soldier H,MORREL. Service Number S/R 9571 Royal Fusiliers? I think he came from Fulham in London.

Regards Andy

Hello Andy,

Nothing for him - sorry. Also checked on Ancestry. such as it is....

and Ian, had a better look for you this evening. Nothing further, am so sorry.

Susan.

• 3 weeks later...

hello

could you please check Birmingham for a Pte Wooding of the Coldstream Guards

Thanks

Afternoon CS,

Nothing for Pte. Wooding in Birmingham CD.

Sorry,

Susan.

Thanks for looking

I am trying to research the following and any help would be very much appreciated:

286249 Gnr Harry Claremont Ferguson R.G.A. born Leeds 1890 enlisted June /July 1917.

Regards

Tom

Good evening Tom,

Saw your post at work - could not do anything till this evening....

but looked on Leeds CD....

Found:

ferguson_hc_gunner_rfa.doc

not sure if it is your man or not, but could find nothing on Ancestry for him......( the correct address is 3A Viceroy Street - just incase you think its the top one, I think its the bottom one you need)......

Susan.

Good evening Tom,

Saw your post at work - could not do anything till this evening....

but looked on Leeds CD....

Found:

ferguson_hc_gunner_rfa.doc

not sure if it is your man or not, but could find nothing on Ancestry for him......( the correct address is 3A Viceroy Street - just incase you think its the top one, I think its the bottom one you need)......

Susan.

Many thanks Susan, it is indeed the Harry Ferguson I was looking for. I have the 1901 census which has his family living at the address on the document you sent me. I am extremely grateful to you.

Tom

Susan

Anything on...

Pte. Clarence Musgrave, Hussars, - Leeds?

Pte. George Quartermaine, Hussars - Bedfordshire / Oxfordshire / Buckinghamshire (if books exist for these)

evening Patrick,

All I can find is a medal index card on Ancestry for Clarence (nothing in pensions or service records for either man).

nothing in any CDs for Musgrave or Quartermaine.

Susan.

Thanks Susan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Susanne

would appreciate it if you could look up for me Henry William Bailey from the London area SE20. He was in the 20th Hussars at one time also served in the 126 labour corp no 692218. May have been pensioned out of the army because he lost an eye.

Having a lot of trouble tracing this man.

Also interested in Albert Horace Tooley also from London - believe he might have been in the The Queens Regiment regiment no. G/59854.

thanks

vea

Hi Susan

Just caught your smashing offer!

Any chance with my grandfather, Southwell G 2014 Pte Royal Warwicks

and my wife's grandfather, Neville J 17857 Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry

Thanks in advance

David