Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NATIONAL ROLL OF THE GREAT WAR

susanhemmings

Hi,

Could I ask you to look for the following, they are brothers and half brothers all from Croydon:

Pike, Frederick- Grenadier Guards

Pike , Albert- Essex Regiment

Pike, William- Highland Light Infantry

Skillings, Harry- MGC

Skillings, Allan, Royal Fusiliers.

No problem if you are already swamped with requests.

Regards

Ali

Hello Ali,

Nothing for any of the men in the National Roll, but looked also on Ancestry.

Frederick Pike - there is a record (4 pages) for a Grenadier Guard - from Croydon - reg no. WR100911 - occupation. general labourer - born St Georges East Surrey

Nothing that I could readily see for Albert or William Pike (but if you have regiment numbers it may narrow the search down)

Only records for an Alfred William and a Henry Skillings on Ancestry.

Susan.

Hello Soren,

Sorry to say, nothing in National Roll. There are a few Staunton's on Ancestry, but nothing for a Patrick Thomas......

sorry again,

Susan.

Any time Soren.

Hi Susan

Very grateful for the help & time taken, thank you. Shame its not him but thanks all the same!!

Hello Susan

This is a kind offer. I feel a bit guilty, you're in the firing line here, but if you can spare the time I would very much appreciate a look up for the following:

Harry Alexander Nobbs My grandfather, 11th Middlesex KiA Arras 9/4/1917

Sidney Arthur Nobbs great uncle, not sure of service could be R E Transport and R G Artillery

Ernest Victor Nobbs great uncle, service not known

William George Nobbs great uncle, service unknown

All were from the East Molesey, surrey/ Hampton area. "I think"

Dont break your neck, any time you can manage it.

Thanks

Howard

Hi Susan,

Thanks for checking- the man on ancestry is him, as is the next file!

Many thanks for trying on him and the others- my great uncles as per my signature.

Regards

Ali

Hello Howard,

Nothing for anyone in the National Roll... Looked on Ancestry

ref: Sidney Nobbs - one records for a "driver" came from Crouch End born approx 1884 Army Service Corps

re: Ernest Hobbs - one record for a chap lived in Hagden Lane, Watford. RFA born next of kin Albert Nobbs (father)

re: William Nobbs - one record for a chap came from Ascot - born approx 1878 Royal Berkshire regiment

Harry Alexander Nobbs - who unfortunately died. Cannot find anything for him.

Will have to wait for the "service" records for the Ns to be released on Ancestry and then we can try again.

Let me know if you need any further detail on any of the above.

I don't think any are for your men, but you never know.

Susan.

Hi Ali,

Do you need me to check anything else for you on Ancestry - or download anything?

Happy to help if I can.

Susan.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello Mel,

Looked for you. Nothing in National Roll. also could not find any mention on Ancestry in the "pension" records.

We will have to wait for the "service" records to be released (at present only A-C are available). I am not sure when the next release will be, but hope it will be during the next few months. Will look again for you then.

Susan.

I might be wrong Susan, but I think all the records have been released on Ancestry now.

I don't know if the Coldstream Guards would be included in your medal rolls, I know they keep their own records. My grandfather was supposedly in the Coldstream Guards, Thomas Ford, born in Ireland. I'm not sure where he would have gone after being discharged. He apparently met my grandmother while working in London, she was born in Norfolk. I would appreciate it if you could have a quick look when you have time.

Thanks

Rosemary

Guest Baldwinj@iprimus.com.au
Just thought I ought to update. I cannot amend my original posting -

I do have the index to the National Roll, but have now managed to collect together the whole set of CDs.

They are for soldiers who survived and who then paid to have the entry - hit and miss as far as I can gather.

Does not cover Scotland - or Liverpool (it seems).

Out of hundreds I have looked for I have only been able to help a few people, but I do love trying......

CDs as follows:

Section 1 - London

Section 2 - London

Section 3 - London

Section 4 - Southampton

Section 5 - Luton

Section 6 - Birmingham

Section 7 - London

Section 8 - Leeds

Section 9 - Bradford

Section 10 - Portsmouth

Section 11 - Manchester

Section 12 - Bedford and Northampton

Section 13 - London

Section 14 - Salford

Hope this helps.....

Would be very happy to help if I can.

Susan.

Dear Susan,

I am hoping to find records relating to my maternal grandfather who served in the trenches in the Great War. 1914-1918. I understand he returned to Sheffield (Yorks & Lancs regiment) as a "Sargeant Major" and my mother remembers him riding with his division in the victory parade. She would have been four at the time. His name was Walter Dodds. I once found his name in a reference book on Sheffield WW1 war veterans, but seem to remember he was either transferred or "on loan" to somewhere. Is there any way of researching him. I remember my mother telling me he served in the trenches and that he suffered from the yellow gas being tossed around. His portrait was hung in the Sheffield barracks however I have no way on knowing where this is now. Any help would be appreciated Joan (Sydney, Australia)

Hello Rosemary,

I cannot find any mention in the National Roll for Thomas and also had a look on Ancestry. The only Thomas Ford (was born in Dublin) was in (it looks like) Rifle Brigade / Fusiliers..... What do you think? born approx 1876.... maybe that is too old... ?

Do you have his regiment number at all - it may narrow down the search.

There is a forum member called "Coldstreamer" who would know far more about the men of the Coldstream Guards. If you PM him then I am sure he will be able to help you more.

Have you got the Medal Index Card for Thomas at all.

Had a quick look at Coldstream Guards at National Archives and come up with

Pte Thomas Charles Ford

Coldstream Guards

Reg no: 19575

The record for the above chap is on ancestry, but he lived in Birmingham (and was a baker/confectioner) , so probably not your grandad.

There are over 200 medal index cards on National Archives site for Thomas Ford (some with middle names). Did Thomas have a middle name at all.

Not sure if this is your Grandad because of the Birmingham connection......

Also the "pension" records are hit and miss on Ancestry

The "service" records have only been uploaded for surnames A - C at the moment.......

Hope this helps.

Let me know if you need anything further.

Susan.

Hello Joan,

Cannot find anything in the National Roll. Also was not sure what you meant by he returned to Sheffield. Do you mean from the War or was he from Australia originally... The Aussies keep far better Service Records of their Soldiers that we do here. They are to be congratulated on their collection.. (still, not really our fault - we did not bomb ourselves during WW2!)

Also checked on Ancestry for you. The only Walter Dodds is a chap who was 15 when he enlisted (born in 1902) so not your grandad

The national archives site did not turn up anything more fruitful except

Medal card of Dodds, J W

Corps Regiment No Rank

Ammunition Sub Park/Australian Army Service Corps 36 Serjeant

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/24

(I only homed in on this one because of the Serjeant aspect and because of the Australian connection). But the forenames are all wrong by the look of it.

There is also the following:

Medal card of Dodds, W

Corps Regiment No Rank

Lanarkshire Yeomanry 5 Farrier Serjeant

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/24

and

Medal card of Dodds, W

Corps Regiment No Rank

Examination Services

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/6

I cannot find anything relating to Yorks and Lancs regiments for a Serjeant with surname Dodds...... That does not mean he is not listed, just I am not clever enough to spot him!!!

Your best bet would be to put a post in "Soldiers" section. One of our Aussie pals will help far more than I have been able to. Or more possibly someone with Yorks and Lancaster special interest.

By the way Joan, that is a lovely thing to have read about your grandad. Hope you can find more about him.

And so sorry I have not been able to be any more help to you.

Susan

Hi Susan

Could i ask a look up of Herbert Brook in the Bradford and Leeds Sections to see if there are any entries for West Yorkshire Regiment.

Thanks

Ady

Just thought I ought to update. I cannot amend my original posting -

I do have the index to the National Roll, but have now managed to collect together the whole set of CDs.

They are for soldiers who survived and who then paid to have the entry - hit and miss as far as I can gather.

Does not cover Scotland - or Liverpool (it seems).

Out of hundreds I have looked for I have only been able to help a few people, but I do love trying......

CDs as follows:

Section 1 - London

Section 2 - London

Section 3 - London

Section 4 - Southampton

Section 5 - Luton

Section 6 - Birmingham

Section 7 - London

Section 8 - Leeds

Section 9 - Bradford

Section 10 - Portsmouth

Section 11 - Manchester

Section 12 - Bedford and Northampton

Section 13 - London

Section 14 - Salford

Hope this helps.....

Would be very happy to help if I can.

Susan.

Hello Susan

your a little ray of hope,i am looking for my grandad,know nothing about him other than a bullet case engraved ,sergent frederick jones-queens regiment-Lens,think aldershot,hamshire area born.I think queens reg changed to royal west kent reg,dont know,any info would be helpful(born 18

Pauline89)

Ady, and Pauline,

Please forgive my ignorance of your post(s)......

Am off to look now.

Susan.

Hi Pauline,

Cannot find anything for Frederick Jones in the national roll. Had a quick look on ancestry but nothing apparent, but will check all of them later on. Will post again if I find anything for you.

Susan.

hi Ady,

BROOK_H_PTE_WEST_YORKS_REG_FOR_MMM45.doc

Any good??

had a quick look on ancestry, but they seem all too old to have been a private (that is if the one above IS your man).

Any dob

Susan.....

Thanks Susan

I dont think this is my man my man was a Bradford Pal and had a trio possibly he wasnt from Bradford but outlying area....Cannot find him at Bradford Library also.

Ady

Ady, what a shame.

Susan.

• 2 weeks later...

Susan

Can i ask please to check the Leeds Section of the Roll for Herbert Brook please..(West Yorkshire Regiment) ...Its possible he was from an outlying area on the border of Leeds/Bradford.

Thanks

Ady

Susan

Are you able to search by Unit. I have trawled through the London Volumes (may have missed some) but if you searched others for units (20th Hussars /14th Hussars in my case) does that work?

Patrick