Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NATIONAL ROLL OF THE GREAT WAR

susanhemmings

Just thought I ought to update. I cannot amend my original posting -

I do have the index to the National Roll, but have now managed to collect together the whole set of CDs.

They are for soldiers who survived and who then paid to have the entry - hit and miss as far as I can gather.

Does not cover Scotland - or Liverpool (it seems).

Out of hundreds I have looked for I have only been able to help a few people, but I do love trying......

CDs as follows:

Section 1 - London

Section 2 - London

Section 3 - London

Section 4 - Southampton

Section 5 - Luton

Section 6 - Birmingham

Section 7 - London

Section 8 - Leeds

Section 9 - Bradford

Section 10 - Portsmouth

Section 11 - Manchester

Section 12 - Bedford and Northampton

Section 13 - London

Section 14 - Salford

Hope this helps.....

Would be very happy to help if I can.

Susan.

hi susan, hope you can help, i am trying to find details of a percy s mitchley from either barnet or berkhampstead, i only know that he was a corporal in the bedfordshire regt and then the gloucestershire regt, i believe he may be found in any of the london sections or sections 5 or 12.i know this doesn't narrow it down much but any info would be gratefull! many thanks carl

Well done Susan. You may not know what you have started but this has all the hallmarks of being a classic thread. Could i start by asking you if you have any information on soldiers from Tipperary in the index?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hi Susan,

Is it a searchable index by anything other than names? Wondered if, for example, you can seacrh for all men who fought in Zeebrugge raid 22-23 April 1918?

If so, would love some help on that.

Cheers,

Dom

hi susan, hope you can help, i am trying to find details of a percy s mitchley from either barnet or berkhampstead, i only know that he was a corporal in the bedfordshire regt and then the gloucestershire regt, i believe he may be found in any of the london sections or sections 5 or 12.i know this doesn't narrow it down much but any info would be gratefull! many thanks carl

Carl, looked at all the CDs you mentioned - found B Mitchley (london rifles MM) - then checked the index. Only one P Mitchley - chap from Birmingham - was a Driver RASC. So, sorry - do not think your chap is here.

Susan.

Tom and Dom (that has a ring about it!!)

On looking at these CDs it has become apparent to me that to put the chaps name in the search field is useless. You really do have to use the index to locate a "possible" CD that he may be on.

But, when I typed Tipperary and Zeebrugge into the search field I did come up with

re; Tipperary - just chose Salford (as me thought perhaps that was were an irish man man have lived) and lo and behold - yes, a chap by the name of Allen appeared - stationed at Tipperary

and as for Zeebrugge - same.

So if you know a name or an area I would be very very happy to help.

It seems you have more chance of finding something using the search facility of the CD by typing bizzare requests into it.

To find a "man" you really do need the index - And thank goodness I invested in the book.......

and, please accept my apologies

for the delay.

The "keep me notified" function does not seem to be alerting me via my email. Better check its correct on the forum.

Bye for now.

Pleasure has been mine.

Susan.

HOORAY, now i have also found out how to use the select function. thanks to you both.... see attachment........

Zeebrugge........_and_Tipperary_for_gwf..doc

Dom, No such luck!!

let me know if you need anyone specific. or anything else i can help you with.

Susan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, any chance of looking up any of these for me?

Lester C 3833 Pte Monmouth

Kempster H 1551 Pte Bucks Yeomanry

Kempster EG PS-2329 Pte 16 Middlesex

Alderton A 2638 Pte 16 London

Dixson TS Lieut 1 Coldstream Gds

Martin F 2075 Pte Berks Yeomanry

Johnson G 19522 Pte 8 East Yorks

Turner F 12709 Pte 1 Northamptonshire

Still H 17542 Pte 9 KOYLI

Moran W 200992 L/Cpl 1/4 East Lancs

Shapland AFT Lieut 6 Wilts

Choules LF Pte 8 Royal Berks

Williams LD Pte/Lieut Welch/12 Rifle Bde

Lee CH Pte 9 Devon

Risby G Pte 6 R. West Kents

Marshall CC 6889 Dvr RHA

Laishley A No 228818 AB RN HMS Fortune

Booker F 17530 Pte Ox Bucks LI

Tasker EH 11237 Pte Ox Bucks LI

Thomas GA 12288 Pte 8/DCLI

Thomas TG 497 Sgt 17 R fusiliers

Dean J 8684 Pte Ox/Bucks

Lovegrove GE 30745 Pte Ox/Bucks

Treves AL CH 1467 Pte 1 Marine Bn RMLI

Radford AT 31125 Pte Ox/Bucks

Kenny D 25-342 Pte 25 Northumberland Fus

Dixon HR 18962 Pte Royal Berks

Brice BA 57453 Pte KRRC

James WG 307304 Pte 2/8 Bn Notts/Derby

Proudfoot AF 43772 Pte 2 Suffolk Regt

Denton HA 24091 Pte Ox/Bucks

Wixon G 206277 Pte D/5th Ox/Bucks

Payne RE 2903 Pte Oxf Yeomanry

Weymouth WD 18972 Pte Ox/Bucks

Many thanks, Rick

Hello Rick. Well, could not find anything for any of the above except one exerpt for a F Martin - Royal Berks Regiment (is this the same a Berks Yeomanry?). have attached it anyway.

Hope this helps....

Ravrick_gwf.doc

• 4 weeks later...
Just thought I ought to update. I cannot amend my original posting -

I do have the index to the National Roll, but have now managed to collect together the whole set of CDs.

They are for soldiers who survived and who then paid to have the entry - hit and miss as far as I can gather.

Does not cover Scotland - or Liverpool (it seems).

Out of hundreds I have looked for I have only been able to help a few people, but I do love trying......

CDs as follows:

Section 1 - London

Section 2 - London

Section 3 - London

Section 4 - Southampton

Section 5 - Luton

Section 6 - Birmingham

Section 7 - London

Section 8 - Leeds

Section 9 - Bradford

Section 10 - Portsmouth

Section 11 - Manchester

Section 12 - Bedford and Northampton

Section 13 - London

Section 14 - Salford

Hope this helps.....

Would be very happy to help if I can.

Susan.

hi susan, i have just inherited my great grandfathers medals and am beginning the trail to find as much info on him as possible, could you help me? his details are

colour sergeant john william mullins 7214 later 4680610

2nd battalion KOYLI

your help would be much appreciated!

thanks

lee

Hello Lee, Sorry for delay.

Had a look in National Roll. The only JW Mullins mentioned was in the Navy.

Also had a look on Ancestry, but again nothing for him. Sorry Lee.

Susan.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Susan

Whichever is the Middx roll, woudl you kindly have a look for Albert Ellis, Rifleman 6/1079, born Friern Barnet or New Southgate around 1897/8 please?

Many thanks!

Hello Susan,

I wouldn't mind a lookup for my GGF. He was: 9671 Pte Joseph Percival Rothwell, 2 Manchesters, wounded and taken prisoner at Le Cateau 26 August 1914. DoB 19.11.1883. Repatriated on 010119.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Susan

I'd be very grateful if you could look for an entry for my grandfather. He was 22071 Pte Alfred George Waller, enlisted in the 3rd Bn East Surrey Regiment and served with the 7th Bn in France in 1917. He was taken prisoner at the battle of Cambrai in Nov/Dec 1917. He lived at Wimbledon when he attested and at Norwood when he returned. He might have lived at Norwood too when he was actually called up. Both places were in Surrey at the time.

I don't think it's very likely that he would have paid for an entry in the National Roll but it's worth having a look.

Many thanks

Phil

Hi Susan,

Can you expand a little more about what the National Roll actually is/was? And what information do you require to do a search?

Both my grandfathers served in the war, and both survived and returned to live in Leeds. What details can I give you to help with a search?

Mel

Hello Steve, This was the only Ellis that I could find in any of the London Rolls......

ELLIS___RIFLEMAN.doc[

hope it is him.

Susan.

Hello John,

Sorry, cannot find anything for your g.grandad in National Roll.

edit edit.......... (don't look at the time......)

BUT........ just looked on Ancestry...... whopeee.... there are pages for him. will download them and if you pm me you email they will be yours....

you lucky so and so.......

very happy to have found someone..........

Susan.

Hello Phil,

Sorry, cannot find anything for your man.

Susan.

Hello Mel,

The National Roll (as I understand it) were just entries put in a book that soldiers or their families paid for.

The Index itself just lists Surname and initial(s). (no regiments or regimental numbers)

From there you get a reference to the CD or book (and the page number) that an entry could be in.

The info given is when they joined, where they fought and what medals they were awarded. Also given is the address (presumably the address of the soldier - not sure if it is the address at the time the entry was made or when they joined up).

As a lot of people have commented it is very hit and miss and usually was only for those that survived the war.

Mind you, i have come across quite a few entries that tell of the death of the particular man.

All I would need is the surname, initial(s) and area if you do not know the regiment- of the chap and I can look in the index and if the surname appears and the area looks ok I can look at whatever disc I need to.

Fire away Mel, will be happy to help you.

Susan.

Thanks for the explanation Susan. These are the details I have of both my grandfathers, and both survived the war. Prior to signing up they both lived in Leeds, and returned to live there afterwards.

Cecil RYDER, C220207, Royal Engineers Special Brigade

Bernard Powell TOWLER, 50351, AOC and N Staffs

Many thanks in advance of anything you may find!

Mel

Hi,

Could I ask you to look for the following, they are brothers and half brothers all from Croydon:

Pike, Frederick- Grenadier Guards

Pike , Albert- Essex Regiment

Pike, William- Highland Light Infantry

Skillings, Harry- MGC

Skillings, Allan, Royal Fusiliers.

No problem if you are already swamped with requests.

Regards

Ali

Hello Mel,

Looked for you. Nothing in National Roll. also could not find any mention on Ancestry in the "pension" records.

We will have to wait for the "service" records to be released (at present only A-C are available). I am not sure when the next release will be, but hope it will be during the next few months. Will look again for you then.

Susan.