Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/7/1916 casualty trio to the 16th middlesex .

steve140968

Hi , can anyone please tell me how much you could expect to pay for a 1/7/1916 casualty trio to a private in the 16th Middlesex regiment . I appreciate this would vary greatly depending on how many people were interested and where they were offered for sale , but a bit of a guide would be appreciated . Many thanks , Steve .

Is there one for sale? For me it would depend on whether he had a known grave. I would suggest if it was a pair and had a buy it now price of £400 on ebay it would go immediately. For a trio? who knows.

I have known a plaque go for just over 200 quid but that was 8 years ago (i did buy another one for 60 but thats because the dealer had no idea who the man was)

Mick

Thanks Mick . I have yet to find my holy grail , however i was curious as to how they compared to other battalions for the same date . It would seem that £400 for a 1st of July trio seems a good deal , however £600 does not seem unusual . I would think that it more likely to come across a pair than a trio to the 16th Middlesex . Steve .

I agree about the pair. My interest was started by a coincidence. I found a badge and shoulder title after deep ploughing on Hawthorn Ridge. A week later I then saw a plaque for sale, named to Arhtur Aust....the name rang a bell and I bought it at a very reasonable price. He's buried in Hawthorn Ridge number 1, and so it continues.

Mick

Guest KevinEndon

Trio Middlesex Regiment first day of the Somme casualty I'd expect more in the region of £800. As you rightly say pairs would be more common. SDGW has 483 casualties some of these would have been died of wounds. I hope one day you find your holy grail and I hope your bank manager is understanding.

Best of luck in your quest.

Kevin

The other problem which affects the bank account is that there is a 1st July collector who really does pay over the odds. i have been outbid on a couple of lots to the R. Fus by the same person and i wasn't shy on the bidding.

Mick

I hope your bank manager is understanding.

Kevin

I'd worry more about the wife.

I suppose anyone who outbids your considered max is paying "over the odds" - but only within your own terms of reference.

It would seem the market for 1st July medals will almost inevitably catch up with the silly amount you pay now - especially given the inevitable arrival of 1st July 2016.

No doubt the underbidder for Hugh Grant's Warhol at 2 million a few years ago was a bit upset went Hughie boy sold it on for 10 million.

true enough, its all relative. The seller may well have thought it wasn't enough (in monetary terms how do we define these items? can we?).

Mick

Yes, monetary value is a bit meaningless for these things - and 4 figure prices seem an inevitable norm as a consequence! After all a grand now buys you a half decent TV or a rather small part of a typical motor car.

A 1/7/16 trio to 1/8th Warks went for £650 from Dixons recently. Thats the price I would expect. As a side and I am kicking my self now I let a MM 14/15trio to 16th M'sex go today at Bham. All in original boxes and envelopes, copy war diary and won Aug 1917 by L/Cpl Bates. £550 was asked and he let it go for less!!! A fool am I!!!!!!!

TT

Hi,

I have in my collection a 1914/15 trio to PS-2329 Pte E G Kempster 16th Middlesex KIA 1st July 1916 and his brother 14/15 trio to 1551 Pte H Kempster Buckinghamshire Yeomanry, discharged due to wounds. A recent valuation put them in excess of 4 figures.( about 4 times what I paid) I also have a 1914 star trio to S-6464 Pte W H Marshall 2nd Middlesex KIA 1st July 1916, which I was lucky enough to get at a very good price as it was a reunited group - 3 medals over 2 years.

It is still possible to find them, but it takes a lot more luck and effort these days - 3 months ago I picked up a Victory medal to a 1st July casualty to 3/6556 Pte A May, 1st bn Somerset LI 25 pounds.

Happy hunting,

Rick

You lucky man Rick ! Other than ebay / speedbid where would be worth looking to find such a trio ??? Regards , Steve .

Trio and plaque to Ernest Derbyshire, 1st 5th Notts and Derby, kia 1st July 1916 went for £860 at Bamfords auction at Derby last month. John