Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Practice trenches Bulford Ridge

Ravrick

Thanks. I did sign up when I saw it advertised. However it was advertised for the 20th. When I signed up it registered as the 21st which I can't make unfortunately.

• 2 months later...

There will be more this year (I am organising them).

I don't think they have. I was chatting to Richard Osgood (MOD archaeologist) about these very trenches yesterday. Unlike those near The Bustard and at Bedlam Plantation (which were 30 Div I think), the Bulford trenches haven't been pinned to any particular formation as far as we know.

Garath,

we've done some work and looked at Sling camp and some of the trenches there. The Geo-Phys was excellent for the camp and showed everything we expected from the Air Phot's. The trenches are on the radar to investigate using intrusive methods but at the moment we are busy with other projects.

By the way Richard will be looking for people to clean the budgies a@se (clean and maintain the Kiwi on Anzac day) so hands up before we nominate!!

Rod

• 3 years later...
On 02/05/2013 at 23:03, Colin W Taylor said:

Gents

I recently found a map in a war diary of some practice trenches reportedly in the area of Shipton Bellinger used by 33rd Division in October 1915. I tried for ages to relate them to the trenches mentioned in this thread without success. I've now located them to the east of the village in the area of Bedlam Wood though the plough has eradicated them. Google Earth gives an excellent comparison and some trenches survive in the woods.

Kind regards

Colin

On 15/08/2013 at 09:44, Gareth Davies said:

Colin

Which War Diary did you find the map in?

I've just stumbled across these myself and of course immediately ran a GWF search for Bedlam and Shipton Bellinger myself - hence arriving here.

The maps are in the 33rd Division, 100 Infantry Brigade HQ war diary, TNA Ref WO 95/2428/1 or here on Ancestry (subscription required)

The Ancestry link lands you an excellent sketch overlay reproduced in a lower resolution below.  There are partial trench maps on the pages before and after.

1565749194_BedlamPracticeTrenchesShiptonBellinger.jpg.4f304a7266f94050c4b3d029ac953851.jpg

The wood centre-left is BEDLAM PLANTATION.  Its SE corner is at OS Grid Ref SU 2498 4638 and lies ~2km ENE of Shipton Bellinger.

There is also a set of Operational Orders for what was clearly a large scale training exercise involving 33rd and 32nd Divisions on 14 Oct 1915 as part of Inspection by General Paget.  It is clear this was a full scale exercise, not a TEWT.  It looks like the exercise also included a live artillery barrage.

Mark

Thank you.

Gareth, 

Apologies for not answering; I'd rather forgotten about this topic. 

Mark,

Many thanks for answering for me.

I spent 11 am on the 11th November last year walking these practice trenches.

Regards

Colin

• 1 month later...

possibly of interest - the fieldwork report on some investigations of the Bedlam trenches we undertook in 2016. Was also on Digging for Britain on BBC

https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/ffe899c2/files/uploaded/Perham Down Evaluation Report v1.pdf

best

R

Excellent report, Richard. Thanks for posting it. I recall you showing me the site early in this century and I walked nearby last summer.

Moonraker