Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Chris_Baker

Who can find the worst indexing at Ancestry.com?

Skipman

One from the new set of 'Pension Cards'

Mike

temp deck hand.PNG

Gunner Hall

Not as good as Mr Richard Hand, obv,  but one of my Great Great Grandfathers transcripts reads occupation  "Paker Elmarit Paranches" 

Imagining having the holder of an obscure church parochial sinecure in the family,  I was a bit let down to discover he was "Teacher, Elementary Branches". 

Edited by Gunner Hall

Knotty

Lol 😁😁😁

Edited by Knotty

Malcolm12hl

Even the names of warships lost in action seem to defeat some indexers of R.N. Seamen's Service Records,  I have found H.M.S. GOOD HOPE indexed variously as LORD HOPE, GOOG HOPE and GOOD ROPE, but the runaway leader appears to be H.M.S. PATHFINDER, where a number of indexers have tied themselves in knots avoiding the most sensible interpretation of the record of her name, coming up with:

PATHFENDER

PACKFINDER

RACHFINDER

PATHFUIDERS

PATHPINDER

PATCHFINDER

PACHFINDER

PACHFENDER

PATHFRIEDER

POTHFIN??

and the completely hopeless

??CHFIN??

??ER

seaJane

Would that be because they think Pathfinder is a modern missile and therefore can't date to WWI... ?

brianmorris547

I'm looking at the September 1916 WD of 247 Field Company (1 FC 63 Royal Naval Division) and 746 Brudenell F E is named. His MRIC shows that he was renumbered 207703 in RNDE.

The index however states Royal North Devon Yeomanary. 

Brian

EDIT: and the same for 823 Stilwell E T, later 199954. Perhaps there was a Royal North Devon Yeomanary in the RND RE. Most of the cards I looked at had Royal North Devon Yeomanary, only one or two correctly recorded Royal Naval Div.

Edited by brianmorris547

brianmorris547

I have been checking the County Palatine RE service numbers on FMP to pick up on hospital admissions in MH 106. I also have 200 numbers without names so I check all the results against my missing numbers to see if any are RE. I have found one or two that I did not have and this morning I found one more. 83099 previously blank is shown on FMP as being William Chapman, Royal Engineers. Sure enough there are papers for him in WO 364. When I searched on Ancestry I found him under William Chapman 83099 General Service Infantry. As far as I can see those three words are not mentioned in his papers.

bif

Trying to research the WW1 service of my paternal great uncle I needed to work from scratch as all his children are deceased and the grandchildren have NO info whatsoever.  Having his name and birth place, (from what info I have on my grandpa), I plugged it into ancestry and go gobbledegook.  I went back and tried a general all records search.  Problem was I was using place of birth as RIBERA, (Agrigento, Sicily, Italy).  The transcriber had town as "nibasa".  Go figure ?  :huh:

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
On 15/02/2019 at 19:54, bif said:

I was using place of birth as .......... Sicily, Italy. 

There's no answer to that!