Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS City of Belfast

Ravrick

Hi, I am trying to source a photograph of HMS City of Belfast from the 1916/17 period. I have some medals that belonged to CPO FW Phillips who was the Gunnery Officer on board. I am really interested in what happened on the 5th Oct 1917 when the ship was attacked by a U boat (U 35). Any help or info would be appreicated,

thanks, Rick

hi rick, only a photo city of Belfast was built for the Barrow SN in 1893. She transferred to the Midland Railway in 1907, and was used on relief and summer services out of Heysham. City of Belfast transferred to the LMS in 1923, and was sold in 1925, becoming the Greek Nicolas Togias. i can find nothing for hms city of belfast, tony

Postcard of City of Belfast arriving at Douglas.

post-16856-1195237506.jpg

Hello Rick

I don't know what happened on the 5th Oct, but at least two men were killed on the 15th:

PALMER, Henry Pic RMLI PO, 5225 HMS City of Belfast 15.10.17

REID, William LS RN 155045 HMS City of Belfast killed 15.10.17

Cheers Ron

Hired as an Armed Boarding Steamer 1914-1919; ship's log is at Kew

ADM 53/37866 CITY OF BELFAST 1917 Aug. 9th. - 1917 Nov. 3rd.

• 8 months later...
Hi, I am trying to source a photograph of HMS City of Belfast from the 1916/17 period. I have some medals that belonged to CPO FW Phillips who was the Gunnery Officer on board. I am really interested in what happened on the 5th Oct 1917 when the ship was attacked by a U boat (U 35). Any help or info would be appreicated,

thanks, Rick

Hi my father in law served on the City of Belfast as PO wireless operator,also have photo of damage caused by action with U boat,but will have to wait as photo is with brother but he will e mail it to me and i will post it on this site

• 1 month later...

thanks, Rick

Hi there,i am sorry but i dont no how to reduce the size of photo to 100k as i am not very fully gened up on PC but will get in touch with son and see if he can help me ,sorry for keeping you waitng

Rick, following on RON's input re date of 05.10.17 find here award to crew of C.o.B for same date as he gives re action - 15.10.17 ;

PEEL Reginald P RD Lt.Cdr. RNR 83P199 City of Belfast

Senior Naval Officer Gibraltar 19.12.17 Gazetted

Action with enemy submarines 15.10.17 Mentioned in Despatches

Their Lordships' approval expressed for his action on the occasion of an action with an enemy submarine on the 15th October, 1917.

Acted with promptitude and zeal in the action, and was well supported by his officers and men.

Make of it what you will - check your date ???

Sadsac

thanks, Rick

Hi This is the best i can do.

O'Carroll

post-36870-1222781922.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

thanks, Rick

Dear Rick,

I was trying to find info on HMS Belfast and came across this site just the other day. So, I hope my reply isn't too late for you. My mother has numerous photos etc. that belonged to her father who served aboard HMS City of Belfast. I have the odd scan, including photos of shell damage, the ship in camouflage, one (I think) of her in dry dock, the funeral service of one of sailors, pictures of the funeral cortege, close ups of the deck (including one of a smallish calibre gun) etc. etc.

Ok. I'm not quite sure how this thing works. Hope you get hold of this and then I get scan and email these photos/items if they're of interest.

Best wishes,

Chris

Welcome to the forum Chris,

Are you looking for details of HMS City of Belfast or HMS Belfast? They were different ships.

Welcome to the forum Chris,

Are you looking for details of HMS City of Belfast or HMS Belfast? They were different ships.

Oh definitely City of Belfast - sorry I left the 'City of' bit from my first reference. I looked at lots of bits and pieces belonging to my grandfather and came across lots of references to HMS City of Belfast. I couldn't find any references to the ship in Janes until someone informed me that it was a converted steamer and wouldn't feature in Janes. Then I realised the photos etc. of a small steamer were those of the City of Belfast.

Anyhow, he went on to serve on HMS Canada (dreadnought?) at the end of the war and have other photos etc. of that magnificent ship.

Thanks for the reply - I do hope my stuff may be of interest to the person with the original post.

Chris

• 2 months later...
Dear Rick,

I was trying to find info on HMS Belfast and came across this site just the other day. So, I hope my reply isn't too late for you. My mother has numerous photos etc. that belonged to her father who served aboard HMS City of Belfast. I have the odd scan, including photos of shell damage, the ship in camouflage, one (I think) of her in dry dock, the funeral service of one of sailors, pictures of the funeral cortege, close ups of the deck (including one of a smallish calibre gun) etc. etc.

Ok. I'm not quite sure how this thing works. Hope you get hold of this and then I get scan and email these photos/items if they're of interest.

Best wishes,

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Chris,

my deepest apologies for not repliyng sooner! I would love any pictures or scans of HMS City of Belfast, I ahve a group of medals to the CPO Gunnery who was awarded a DSM for the action on the 15th Oct when they were attacked by a U boat. hence my interest,

Cheers,

Rick

Hi, No I haven't, everything has gone on the backburner as I am working in the Middle East - can you help?

Cheers, Rick

• 1 month later...
Hi Chris,

my deepest apologies for not repliyng sooner! I would love any pictures or scans of HMS City of Belfast, I ahve a group of medals to the CPO Gunnery who was awarded a DSM for the action on the 15th Oct when they were attacked by a U boat. hence my interest,

Cheers,

Rick

Hi Rick,

Not sure about this site. Can I send photos? Or do I need a email address. I'll try inserting some photos that may be of interest.

Best wishes,

Chris

post-44955-1260393723.jpg

post-44955-1260393735.jpg

post-44955-1260393746.jpg

post-44955-1260393757.jpg

• 3 months later...
Hi Rick,

Not sure about this site. Can I send photos? Or do I need a email address. I'll try inserting some photos that may be of interest.

Best wishes,

Chris

Hi this CPO O'carroll who served on HMS City of Belfast also have some more if interested

all the best

o'Carroll

post-36870-1268255830.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi hear we go again all these photos are from an album compiled by my father in law CPO telegraph HmS City of Belfast on which he served 1914 -1918

I'm interested thanks for posting them. Can we have some more?

post-36870-1272035093.jpg

From the last post: is this submarine C5 or C 3 ? Can't make it out...

If C 5: This boat was at Malta from 27.03.1918 to 21.09.1918, than going over to Gallipoli (the italian town!).

Oliver

Hi sorry I have no information as to the number of UBoat

From the last post: is this submarine C5 or C 3 ? Can't make it out...

If C 5: This boat was at Malta from 27.03.1918 to 21.09.1918, than going over to Gallipoli (the italian town!).

Oliver