Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Serial Number Blocks - Royal Artillery

Stuart Brown

I have just noticed an artillery group of medals on Speedbid and in the description it states that, as the MIC indicates the recipient being re-numbered, then the new number can be traced to a block for a particular Brigade of a particular Division.

Is this information obtained from the PRO or is there a book or books covering this topic.

Stuart

Stuart,

this is true for TF units - including RA - following the early 1917 renumbering of men serving in TF units.

There are lsitings in Howard Wilkinson's recent 'The Collectors and Researchers Guide to the Great War' Vol I - Medals. But as with anything the Army did it isn't as straightforward as it appears and you have to be careful of the conclusions you draw.

Detailed information will, I hope, be available on the mother site real soon now.

Jock Bruce

I should have said, if you want to see the original instructions they are in Army Council Instructions for late 16 and early 17, which can be found in WO 293

Edited by Jock Bruce

The Royal Artillery regimental numbers and the corresponding Territorial Force units they correspond to were published in Medal News in November and December 1995. Similar numbers for the Royal Engineers were published in the April 1996 issue. Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

Thank you very much. Have found two relevant Medal News (I had forgotten about the articles - age).

Regards

Stuart