Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. James E. Crouch

BottsGreys

Any information on this pilot's service/death gratefully received.

CWGC:

Casualty Details

Name: CROUCH, JAMES EDWARD

Initials: J E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force

Unit Text: 46th Sqdn.

Date of Death: 14/08/1918

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Memorial: ARRAS FLYING SERVICES MEMORIAL

Chris

Below, snapshot also inscribed on reverse, "2/Lt. Crouch. Shot down in flames (France) August 1918."

post-1571-1195175344.jpg

Chris

2Lt J E Crouch of No 46 Sqn RAF was flying Sopwith Camel D6631 on an Offensive Patrol, having left Serny aerodrome [or perhaps Poulainville - No 46 Sqn moved there on 14 August] at 1700, and he was seen going down in flames after combat with enemy aircraft south east of Bray at 1745 on 14 August 1918. Vzfw Albert Haussmann of Jasta 13 was credited with shooting him down; it was Haussmann's 9th victory of his eventual 15 before he was killed in action on 16 October.

No 46 Sqn lost three Camels in the fight where 2Lt Crouch lost his life: 2Lt G A R Hill in F2086 and 2Lt C E Thorpe in F2112 were both taken Prisoner of War.

I hope that this is useful.

Gareth

Gareth:

Fantastic, just the kind of detailed info I was hoping for! Thanks so much--greatly appreciated.

Chris

• 1 year later...

In remembrance of Lt. Crouch on the 91st anniversary of his death, I thought I would bring this one back up.

Chris

May he Rest in Peace.

His service record should be in AIR 76/116; you can order a copy using the UK National Archives 'shop online' facility.

• 4 weeks later...
per...Thanks for the records suggestion, I will definitely check it out.

Chris

Sorry guys being very nosey here. Do you know where Lt. Crouch was from in the UK.

Regards

Dave

David,

The Births, Marriages & Deaths index for England & Wales states that James Edward Crouch's birth was registered at

Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, in the 3rd Quarter of 1899. The 1901 Census for England confirms Gloucestershire as

both Crouch's birthplace and his residence in 1901.

Regards

Trelawney

David,

The Births, Marriages & Deaths index for England & Wales states that James Edward Crouch's birth was registered at

Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, in the 3rd Quarter of 1899. The 1901 Census for England confirms Gloucestershire as

both Crouch's birthplace and his residence in 1901.

Regards

Trelawney

Trelawney and Gareth

Thanks very much for the look up. I have relatives in Gloucestershire so very curious about this man.

Thanks once again

regards

Dave