Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY - DVR. J.T. THOMPSON

neiluk

HI EVERYONE,

JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME WITH MY RESEARCH. I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHICH UNIT AND THE LOCATION THAT MY G/ GRANDAD SERVED IN FRANCE DURING THE WAR. HERE ARE THE DETAILS OF WHAT I KNOW

NAME:- JOHN THOMAS THOMPSON

REG NO:- 96100

ENLISTED:- AUGUST 1914 (BRADFORD)

DISEMBARKED:- 7 JULY 1915 (FRANCE)

THE ONLY STORY THAT THE FAMILY KNOW IS THAT WHEN HE GOT TO FRANCE, HIS UNIT STOPPED IN A FRENCH VILLAGE FOR A REST / FOOD/WATER ETC., BUT THE LOCAL MAYOR REFUSED TO HELP THEM. THE STORY GOES THAT THE SOLDIERS WENT BACK AT NIGHT TIME FILLED IN THE LOCAL WELL WITH HORSE MUCK AND BOULDERS AS REVENGE!!

I DONT KNOW HOW TRUE THIS STORY IS BUT IT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL IF I COULD GET A LOCATION

REGARDS

NEIL

Hi Neil,

the 15th (Scottish) Division landed in France between 7th-13th July 1915. The division consisted of the 70th, 71st, 72nd and 74th Brigades RFA (can't help with his battery). Concentration of the division was complete around the village of Tilques, near St. Omer on the 13th July.

I can't quite see why the trrops would foul the wells on their own side of the lines...beware family folklore :unsure:

cheers, Jon

HI EVERYONE,

THANKS FOR THE INFO JOHN.

THIS MAY SOUND LIKE A STUPID QUESTION, BUT WOULD MY GRANDAD HAVE LANDED WITH A SCOTTISH DIVISION WHEN HE WAS ENGLISH AND ENLISTED AT BRADFORD??

CHEERS

NEIL

Neil, at least 2 of my ancestors served with the 9th (Scottish) Division, both Sheffield lads one with the RFA the other with the Argyll's. Where a man lived and enlisted doesn't play much part in the units to which they were posted especially later in the war. The infantry volunteers of 1914/15 probably had some choice but as the mincing machine continued troops were sent where the need was most,

It may be worth posting his landing date to find which RFA brigades landed on the 7th July 1915, more than likely Southampton-Le Harve,

cheers, Jon