Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Siege" Battery

Guest Simon Bull

Guest Simon Bull

Forgive me showing my total ignorance on matters relating to artillery, but what distinguished a "Siege" Battery from other artillery batteries? I realise, as a matter of common sense, that they presumably fired bigger guns than the other batteries, but I am not clear as to exactly what their function was, as compared to other batteries, nor do I know exactly what sort of guns they would have been given to perform that function.

Simon Bull

I am not clear as to exactly what their function was, as compared to other batteries

Simon

This is a quote from 'With a Siege Battery in France':

'Mobile heavy artillery was intended to be used against forts containing guns in position (hence 'siege'), and its use for this purpose was so deadly that the fort, as such, became obsolete within a fortnight (of the start of the war).

During the first year of the war, heavy artillery as a general rule confined its operations to shooting at infantry strong points, trenches, wire entanglements, roads, buildings, and places in the enemy's forward areas. It was only in later years that heavy artillery took to shooting at the enemy's heavy artillery (counter-battery fire). The description of "artillery duels" in the early days meant that heavy artillery shot at our infantry, and our artillery shot at the enemy's infantry... The tendency has been, ever since those days, for heavy artillery to come nearer and nearer to the line in trench warfare, and to engage targets further and further behind the enemy lines, so much so that of late years our targets have been almost exclusively enemy batteries and back areas.'

Simon

Siege batteries of the RGA could be equipped with 6", 8", 9.2" and 12" Howitzers.

Also 6" guns, 9.2" guns on railway mountings, 12" Howtizers on railway mountings and 14" guns on railway mountings.

Terry Reeves