The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Charles Fryatt

Regulus 1

Click on thumbnails to enlarge !

th_62536_Scannen0001.jpg

th_62620_Scannen0009.jpg

th_63043_Scannen0012.jpg

Captain Fryatt was one of the very few British casualties to be repatriated for burial and he was also one of the even smaller group to be repatriated post-war.

He was buried at Dovercourt, Essex on 09.07.19 having been executed at Bruges on 27.07.16.

This was possible because he was a civilian (Mercantile Marine).

Somewhere on this forum, I've previously posted an article from a "Cologne Post" of 1919 which is about fryatt and the investigation into his "murder" by K-Marine Brugge.

If it is now lost, I'll re-post if interested.

Dave.

Isn't this the chap who has a plaque in one of the london underground stations and that features in one of Heslops Not forgotten series?

Isn't this the chap who has a plaque in one of the london underground stations and that features in one of Heslops Not forgotten series?

Yes. That's the one. It's not an underground station though, it's one of the major London rail stations (but can't remember which one).

dave.

Somewhere on this forum, I've previously posted an article from a "Cologne Post" of 1919 which is about fryatt and the investigation into his "murder" by K-Marine Brugge.

If it is now lost, I'll re-post if interested.

Dave.

It's not lost, but here it is again...

post-357-1143145501.jpg

...and...

post-357-1143145608.jpg

Thank you very much for your kind and informative reactions.

And Dave thank you very much for posting this article ! This is most useful material for my english version of my first book Marinekorps Flandern.

I did mention his story on a full page at the time, but it wil become much larger in the new version.

My original Dutch manuscript was 280 pages with same amount of photo's but it seems i'll be ending at about 6-700 pages this time... However I still have a year or two to go on translation and new information.

Any info on Captain Fryatt is very welcome, especially on his pre WW I carreer.

Thanks and best from Johan

Regulus

Hope this of some use:

Captain Fryatt was born on December 2nd, 1872, at Southampton. He was educated at Freemantle School, Southampton, and at Corporation School, Harwich. Entering the service of the sea he sailed in 'County Antrim' of Belfast, 'Ellenbank' and 'Marmion' of Liverpool, and 'Harrogate' of London. He joined the service of the Great Eastern Railway as a seaman on the s.s. 'Ipswich' in 1892, thus following the example of his father, who was, before his retirement, a first officer of the G.E.R. steamship 'Cambridge.' When A.B. Fryatt joined the G.E.R. the s.s. 'Colchester' was the latest passenger ship and the paddle steamers were running. He passed through the various grades until he became master first of the s.s. 'Colchester' on occasional service Antwerp-Harwich, and in 1913 of the s.s. 'Newmarket' on the Rotterdam-Harwich cargo trade. Since the beginning of the war he had made 143 passages between Harwich or Tilbury and Rotterdam, maintaining, with his colleagues, the route of the G.E.R. Continental service in spite of unlighted coasts, mines, enemy submarines, aircraft and warships. These men depended on their own strong nerves, their skill, the faithfulness of the good crews under their command, and a hope of the observance of sea-law - a hope which was considerably diminished by the attacks on merchant shipping made without warning and without care of life.

Taken from this site: http://www.york.ac.uk/inst/irs/irshome/fea...gs/readings.htm

Terry Reeves

Terry,

Most interesting and exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for ! Great ! Thank you very much !

Best from Johan :)

His execution not forgotten by the Army

Cnock

post-7723-1143225475.jpg

Captain FRYATTS' widow and 7 children

Cnock

post-7723-1143225872.jpg

Golden watch - inscription :

'offered by the Lords Commission of the Admiralty,

to Charles Algernon FRYATT, Master of the S.S. Brussels

in recognition of the example set by that vessel when attacked by a German submarine, 28 March 1915 '

Some sources claimed he was betrayed by this watch when his ship was stopped by German torpedoboats on 22/6/1916, but in fact the Germans knew already who he was.

Regards,

Cnock

post-7723-1143226656.jpg

cnock

Thanks for the photo's. The one of the shells is most appropriate given Johan's interest. It is of men of a Royal Marine Artillery 15 inch Howitzer Battery.

Terry Reeves

Terry,

Thank You for the additional info.

Regards,

Cnock

Cnock,

Thank you very much for these photo's !

Terry,

Info on the artillery men is much appreciated !

Best from Johan

Terry,Cnock,Croonaert,Johan, thanks for widening my knowledge on Cpt. Fryatt!!

Very nice pictures again, Cnock, i'm always wondered by the tons of pictures you have :)

Btw,Terry,that howitzer battery, do you happen to know in what country that photo was taken?

(just curious to know :) )

Very nice article,Croonaert!

Croonaert/Jim Royal, could you tell me what the Heslops Not forgotten series is? i never heard about it :unsure:

many greetings,

Wouter

Nolf

The picture was almost certainly taken in Belgium. The RMA siege batteries wer there at that time which ties in with the "messages" on the ammunition.

Terry Reeves

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

thank you very much for the info,

terry and Jim

regards

wouter

• 2 months later...

There will be a Memorial Service for Captain Fryatt on the 27th July 2006, 90 years after he was shot at Brugge. The service will be at the Onze Lieve Vrouw church at Brugge. Guests will be the gouvernor, mayors of Brugge and Southampton, members of the British and Belgian admiralty, the Captain Fryatt Association,...

There is also a most interesting book that was published on the man by Michael G. White.

Terry, I think it is important to know that he is not fogotten...

Hello regulus,

I am most interested in Cpt Fryatt. Can you email me please?

archives@passchendaele.be

regards,

Jan