Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Battalion, Essex Regiment, 1917

Dan Morton

I have a French painter friend, Jean Paul Dana, who has completed painting the model figure of a Tommy Sergeant ca. 1917 below. He would like to complete the figure as a member of the 10th battalion, Essex Regiment with all appropriate regiment and division markings. What would those have been? Please provide color images if possible. I believe the 10th Essex would have been part of the 18th Division. If that is correct, the helmet would have had a 3 color rectangular patch painted on, but in what colors?

Many thanks in advance.

All the best,

Dan

post-4473-1195038119.jpg

I have a French painter friend, Jean Paul Dana, who has completed painting the model figure of a Tommy Sergeant ca. 1917 below. He would like to complete the figure as a member of the 10th battalion, Essex Regiment with all appropriate regiment and division markings. What would those have been? Please provide color images if possible. I believe the 10th Essex would have been part of the 18th Division. If that is correct, the helmet would have had a 3 color rectangular patch painted on, but in what colors?

Many thanks in advance.

All the best,

Dan

post-4473-1195038119.jpg

Hi Dan, 10th Battalion Essex, Other Ranks wore black (left) and violet square with white central stripe in felt. Officers wore black (left) and violet inverted triangle with yellow central stripe. John

There is also a living history group portraying the 10th Essex - a polite email, and you'll probably get some nice colour photographs of the correct insignia they wore (might help if you mention my name, our group is closely allied with them):

http://www.actofwar.co.uk/essex/