Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Unit ID?

4thGordons

Just picked up a small group of rather battered Canadian photos including this one.

Is it possible to identify (or narrow down) which unit by the sleeve patch?

TIA

Chris

Thanks for that link - useful source I was not aware of, certainly narrows it down for me.

However - as I thought, it is really going to depend upon what colour the patch it, and funny things happen with orthochromatic film (if that is what was used) so - any guesses as to what colour this one might be?

thanks again

Chris

Hi Chris,

Can't help with the patch however I am wondering if there is possibly any significance in the numbers and letters on the card against the back leg of the stool?

Doug

Hi Doug

I wondered the same thing and have been searching for any connection.

I have not found one and I think it is more likely that it is a photographer's reference/negative number rather than referring to the subject matter.

The card is divided on the back but is plain with no indication of where it was taken - others in the group have Canadian photographers marks - this one I might guess (given uniforms, patches etc) might have been taken in France or the UK.

Chris

Best thing (I'm at work so can't do it), is look at the battalions which had that combination of patches, then cross-reference against the cap badges of those battalions. It is quite possible that they won't all have had that shaped device.

Also, it has the look (I could well be wrong) of an early war pic....don't know why: you might be able to discount the later-arriving Divisions.

Best thing (I'm at work so can't do it), is look at the battalions which had that combination of patches, then cross-reference against the cap badges of those battalions. It is quite possible that they won't all have had that shaped device.

Also, it has the look (I could well be wrong) of an early war pic....don't know why: you might be able to discount the later-arriving Divisions.

Thanks Steven,

I too think it is probably earlier rather than later.

biggest indicator for me is that the chap standing still has the 7 button tunic.

off to cross reference (well, when I get home from work!)

Chris

Hello Chris,

The light coloured divisional patch would indicate 3rd Div (French Grey). It is not very clear from the picture, but it's look like the left hand soldier has a triangle above. That should narrow the research.

Eric

Hello Chris,

The light coloured divisional patch would indicate 3rd Div (French Grey). It is not very clear from the picture, but it's look like the left hand soldier has a triangle above. That should narrow the research.

Eric

That should narrow it quite a bit: the following 3rd Div. units wore the triangle: 42nd, 4th C.M.R., and 54th. The 42nd used the Black Watch badge, and the 4th C.M.R. a moosehead. So if it's the 3rd, they must be 54th Bn.

It can't be 1st Division - the cap badge is wrong for all "triangle" battalions.

I believe you mean 58th Battalion, as the 54th was in the 4th Division. Looking at the cap badge for the 58th, it doesn't look the same as in the photo; moreover, I think there would be more of a contrast between the french grey and blue. However, that said, I'm inclined to think that they may not be from the same battalion; we can't see whether it is a triangle above the square for the man standing. In my inexpert opinion, the man standing could be from the 1st Battalion, while the man seated is from the 3rd.

I believe you mean 58th Battalion, as the 54th was in the 4th Division. Looking at the cap badge for the 58th, it doesn't look the same as in the photo; moreover, I think there would be more of a contrast between the french grey and blue. However, that said, I'm inclined to think that they may not be from the same battalion; we can't see whether it is a triangle above the square for the man standing. In my inexpert opinion, the man standing could be from the 1st Battalion, while the man seated is from the 3rd.

Thanks everyone.

In the group of pictures I actually have 2 prints of this image - they differ only in wear and marks.

Under magnification I still cannot decide if the man standing has a triangle or not, If I had to guess I think I would say not, simply because the rectangle patch seems to be higher on his sleeve, although of course I cannot be sure.

Thanks again

Chris