Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Bullecourt

pier

Hi there :rolleyes:

can anyone tell me about this battle i found out from one of the pals on this forum that this is where my Gt Grandad died

58th 2nd/1st division Private Lancelot Hasler died 15 May 1917

Many thanks London girl :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

London Girl,

Do you know which Battalion of the RF he was in ? The CWGC site says it was the 2/4th City of London of the Territorial Force. When I look this up I find that it was disbanded in June 1916,having before that been in Malta Dec 1914 to Aug 1915,Egypt Aug to Oct 1915,Gallipoli Oct 1915 to Jan 1916,back to Egypt Jan to June 1916,then to France where it disbanded.

Anyway,the Battle of Bullecourt,in the absence of an account here I will suggest:

http://www.webmatters.net/france/ww1_bullecourt6.htm

You might also look at this from the Long Long Trail as it was his Division:

http://www.1914-1918.net/58div.htm

and he would probably have been in one of the 3 Brigades 173 to 175,once you are sure of his Battalion .

Best wishes

Sotonmate

• 3 months later...

Dear London Girl,

Your great grandfather's name is commemorated in the Arras Memorial to the Missing. My Great grandfather, Private William Kendall (from Tottenham, London, who served with the 22nd Manchester's) was killed in the Second Bullecourt battle on 13th May 1917, two days before Private Lancelot Hasler. Both our great grandfathers have no known graves and this is why their names are inscribed on this memorial.

If you send me an email to paulkendall291@aol.com I can send you photos of the Arras Memorial by email.

Kind regards

Paul

Dear Paul,

Thank you for you kind message, I have sent you a e-mail so would be grateful if you sent me photo of the memorial.

Many thanks again,

London girl.