Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

two brothers on headstone

tonyblackpool

hi ,on going round my local graveyard on Monday i noticed a cwgc headstone with HARRY H FRIEND PRIVATE SS/22319 ASC 23-9-1917 AND J FRIEND PRIVATE 57345 KINGS LIVERPOOL 10-11-1927

HARRY FRIEND is on cwgc site additional info saying also in grave J FRIEND , but J FRIEND IS NOT ON CWGC. ODD! . TONY

Tony - Harry Friend will be listed as he died within the dates specified for War Graves Status & was a serving soldier when he died or his death was contributable to his service. J Friend (a brother or son possibly given Harry's age at his death) died outside the qualifiying dates which is why he doesn't appear on the CWGC roll of honour. I assume it was a Private headstone rather than the Standard CWGC one.

.........Ahh the Welshdoc got there first!!!!

not odd as 1927 is well outside the time limits for commemoration. Also is it a CWGC grave or a private albeit "copied "one ?
hi , sorry i should have said both names on a cwgc headstone and grave. tony

hi , sorry i should have said both names on a cwgc headstone and grave. tony

That is curious. Tony was it an actual CWGC headstone or one in the style of the CWGC. If it's the former perhaps Terry Denham will be able to provide an answer as he is all knowledgable about CWGC policy.

This is not an unusual occurance.

The original is a Commonwealth War grave - a private grave with a CWGC headstone by request (the relatives could request a CWGC stone or elect to have a private one). A later death of a family member has occured and he has been buried in the same grave (could not happen if it was a CWGC owned grave).

In these circumstances the family have paid to have the later name added to the headstone. It happens sometimes where the grave is privately owned and CWGC permit it provided the NoK pay the cost.

The other burial is mentioned as a footnote on the CWGC entry.

The other burial is mentioned as a footnote on the CWGC entry.

Is this just an occasional reference, Terry? I know of two war graves where the spouse (who died after the serviceman concerned) is buried in the same grave (and the headstone records this) but there is no mention of this on the CWGC site.

Andy.

cheers terry, thanks for that , they were both blackpool men only 3 streets from me, HARRY FRIEND

i think would have been shipped home wounded ,as blackpool had a large military hospital at the time, i will try and get a photo of the headstone and a little more info. tony

Andy

No it is not usual but it does occur in the old registers on a few occasions where a military relative died shortly after the cut-off date and is buried in the same grave in the UK. It does not occur for spouses etc.