Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Name this medal

Guest sherrie

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can ID this medal for me. My G-Grandfather served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force and served in Canada, Britain and France. He received the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, I know it's not either of those. His daughter came across this medal and sent me this black and white scan. The ribbon is black grosgrain, the edges and the middle of the medal are gold and the rest is white enamel. Sorry about the poor quality photo. I would also like to know how the medal was earned.

Thank you for your assistance,

Sherrie

Dean,

I was thinking it was an American one as well because of the eagle and it looks like E Pluribus Unum above it, glad it's confirmed. Don't know how he would have had it, as he was Canadian all his life, can't seem to find anything like it on the web. Thanks for looking. If anyone has seen anything like it, please point me in a direction.

Thanks,

Sherrie

Hi Sherrie,

I've seen these before but I can't place it. It's a US Society or Veteran's award.

Jeff Floyd who posts here often I'm sure will know.

You may want to try him.

Take care,

Neil

Neil,

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll try to contact Jeff because I'm beating my head against a wall on this one. I've looked at so many medals, I think I deserve one :blink:

Cheers ~ Sherrie

Guest Jeff Floyd

Sherrie,

It's a Knights Templar membership medal.

These come in a bewildering array of styles and often with identification as a "Grand Army of the Republic Funeral Medal", but it's just a membership medal in the Knights Templar.

Thank you Jeff, mystery solved to my great relief! Now if we can just figure out who in the family it belonged to.

This forum has come through for me again, and I want to thank everyone who took the time to take a look at my photo.

Cheers ~ Sherrie