Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Highland Mountain Brigade Royal Garrison Artillery

creekmill

Hi all, very interesting topic - i've just found out that my great-grandad may have served in the 4th Mountain Brigade RGA - his name was John Mclean, I was wondering if anyone has any information on him at all? Despite my long standing interest in WW1 this is my first foray into research of one particular man, and my closest relative that served in WW1, so not too sure where to start - all I know is that he may have been in underage, and served at Gallipoli. It is possible he was in the Argyll Battery.

Best regards, Rob

Hi Rob,

You may have a job as there were at least 4 gunners with that name; http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=browserefine&query=first_name%3djohn%7clast_name%3dmclean%7ccorpname%3dgarrison%7cscope%3d300%3f%3f%3f&catid=10&pagenumber=1&querytype=1&mediaarray=* . This does not include those that may have served and were discharged before the TF renumbering. Hopefully Mike will see your post and be able to help. A few more details may help. Where he lived, Rothesay, Campbletown, Tarbert, Oban or Largs may point to one man over another.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin - it may have been Maclean unless misspelt, I'll try and get some more information asap

Bit of an update - apologies, it's spelt McLean - no middle name, so just John McLean, apparently joined up at 16 and born in Campbeltown. It's believed after Gallipoli he joined General Allenby's forces and served in Palestine

According to a nominal roll that I received from Mike Morrison, John McLean (#2292), joined Argyll Mt Bty on 27 May 1915. Dick Flory

Depending who was writing it, I would think both Mc and Mac may have been used.

393/300128 lived Glebe St, Campbletown, enlisted 18 May 1914, 17yrs 3mths, Aryll Bty. to "C" Mtn. Bty to 91 Hvy Bty

2292/300429 first enlistment 16 Jan 1912 18yrs 9mths, lived 3 Mansfield Place Rothesay, this would mean he enlisted with Bute Bty, although serving with Argyll Bty at Gallipoli.

Both of above records available. That leaves about 3 gunners you need to research. I would first be looking for 300127.

Kevin

Edit. Just checked and 300217's records are for John Angus MacLean. Perhaps checking 300128 may be correct, but you will need more details.

Thanks Kevin - the Glebe St Mclean may be a match, i'll have to invest in an NA or an Ancestry account but struggling with a very slow laptop that doesn't like downloading anything, so if anyone can help further it would be really appreciated by both myself and his other relatives

• 7 years later...

Seeking any information about or photos of the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade.

Edited by Guest
Ownership issues

• 1 year later...
On 17/11/2007 at 01:10, CSMMo said:

So 313 Bde RFA in Jerusalem doesn't seem to make sense? I took that information from the CWGC entry. LLT just says that CCCXIII was broken up in 1916. Any ideas? I see that 13th Mountain Battery was there. Could it have been (another) typo? The mangling of the name '4th Highland (Mountain) Brigade, RGA (TF)' was fairly common. I've seen it listed as:

4th Heavy Mountain Brigade

4th Highland Mounted Brigade (This on the cover sheet of some of their War Diaries at Kew)

4th Heavy Mortar Brigade

And variations on the above.

Any thoughts on 313 Brigade?

Mike Morrison

Coming a bit late to this, but the man mention above, William James MacDonald is one of my Bank of Scotland men. 313 Brigade appears to be a typo, as the CWGC grave concentration report lists him as 303 Brigade.

13 hours ago, DMcNay said:

Coming a bit late to this, but the man mention above, William James MacDonald is one of my Bank of Scotland men. 313 Brigade appears to be a typo, as the CWGC grave concentration report lists him as 303 Brigade.

303 Brigade RFA were involved in the IIIrd Battle of Gaza, and below is the account of their action on 7th November 1917 as it appears in Gen Farndale's History of the RRA 'The Forgotten Fronts & the Home Base 1914-1918'

Scan2020-05-31_134323.jpg.9ef597bd6b5e2768c08bea3ede065350.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 08/12/2011 at 18:40, kevinrowlinson said:

Depending who was writing it, I would think both Mc and Mac may have been used.

393/300128 lived Glebe St, Campbletown, enlisted 18 May 1914, 17yrs 3mths, Aryll Bty. to "C" Mtn. Bty to 91 Hvy Bty

2292/300429 first enlistment 16 Jan 1912 18yrs 9mths, lived 3 Mansfield Place Rothesay, this would mean he enlisted with Bute Bty, although serving with Argyll Bty at Gallipoli.

Both of above records available. That leaves about 3 gunners you need to research. I would first be looking for 300127.

Kevin

Edit. Just checked and 300217's records are for John Angus MacLean. Perhaps checking 300128 may be correct, but you will need more details.

I know I'm very late to this, so here's hoping. I am researching a George McEachran 4th Highland Mountain Brigade, likely Argyllshire Battery as he was from Campbeltown. I have 2 possibilities 300109 date of entry 17/3/1915 (day after Brigade left England) and 371 disembarked 25/4/1915 (Gallipoli). Could they be the same person? Was there a renumbering of original TF numbers? I have the 2 relevant medal lists but no details of service/attestation/discharge or anything to be sure it is the correct person as there was another person of the same name in Campbeltown but born 1878 so maybe a bit old.

Also I believe I read somewhere that part of the Ammunition column was diverted for use in France but I can't find where I read it.

JonJB

I have the same numbers for the same man, though probably more for sequential numbering as I haven’t found a service record yet. For example:

370 300108 Bombardier William McKay.

371 300109 Gunner George McEachran.

372 300110 Gunner Frank Kane.

373 300111 Gunner James Ferretti [also spelt Feretti].

All 4th Highland (Mountain) Brigade RGA.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Alan

Edited by alantwo

16 minutes ago, alantwo said:

JonJB

I have the same numbers for the same man, though probably more for sequential numbering as I haven’t found a service record yet. For example:

370 300108 Bombardier William McKay.

371 300109 Gunner George McEachran.

372 300110 Gunner Frank Kane.

373 300111 Gunner James Ferretti [also spelt Feretti].

All 4th Highland (Mountain) Brigade RGA.

I hope that helps.

Regards

Alan

Thanks. So that means they are the same person and the number changed, it also explains why the 371 in the Medal Roll was for 1915 medal only. I hope to find a record that links to an address or family member but nothing yet. I read that all Territorial Artillery was removed from its Territorial designation in 1916 so that makes sense for a number change then.