Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

can u help uniform

lormc21

hi is there any one who can help with this uniform it was taken in north shields but i can seem to date it i have taken it to a museum in the north of engalnd but to no avail i do no that my great uncal died in ww1 i have his letters that he wrote in the trenches and his war medels and the letter ststing he was missing i think it may be conected to him But it looks to old and he is holding what looks like a cutlas and he has RND on his top ?? can any one help please

post-27545-1194949256.jpg

He appears to be holding a Martini Henry rifle This means the earliest it could be would be about 1871-it remained in service until 1889 but was still used in lots of places after that. I am probably going to be shot down for this but there is something about this which does not seem terribly British-the hat, blouse and belt for example seem 'wrong' -not an expert on Victorian naval uniform however, so I could well be wrong.

Greg

He appears to be holding a Martini Henry rifle This means the earliest it could be would be about 1871-it remained in service until 1889 but was still used in lots of places after that. I am probably going to be shot down for this but there is something about this which does not seem terribly British-the hat, blouse and belt for example seem 'wrong' -not an expert on Victorian naval uniform however, so I could well be wrong.

Greg

oh thanks the only person i know that was in the navy was my G,G, aunt husband she married a sailor in 1892 he was from denmark axel valdermar hanson i think but with the photo having north shields on the back which is in the north east of england i just thought ??? and with the top having RND but i just dont have a clue my family were from ireland they came to england about 1855 but thank you for the help

Can you 'blow up' the cap band for us? the 'd' could be for Danmark-but later Danes had the Danish for Royal Navy on their tally which was K.....Marine (cant see spelling on the Second World War photo).

Greg

Thats a Martini Henry sword bayonnet thats fitted. The uniform does not look RN but I'll have a search amongst my library later just to check.

Greg those MH's certainly did hang around - I got to fire one at my university rifle club when it would have been approaching 100! The ejectors still used to jam (the club got rid of them shortly afterwards as the trigger mechanisms were so worn that accidental firings became too dangerous.

Searching photos of the pre war RN I can find no example of a blouson like that in the photo. RN jackets had loose cuffs for a start.

I suspect some continental navy