The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What battle would they have fought in ? ?

pier

Hi there :rolleyes:

can anyone tell me how to find what battles these two men would have fought in or how i can find out?

55357 Driver Herbert Hasler D Battery 79th bde Royal field artillery died 01 April1917 remembered Maroeuil Cemetery

and his brother Private Lancelot Haslert 283867 2nd/4th bn London reg Royal fusilliers died 15 May 1917 Arras memorial

these two brothers came from London and i am trying to find out where they would of been France and what battles they might of been killed in

thank you

London girl :unsure:

Hi London girl,

Pte. Lancelot Cecil Hasler was part of the 58th (2/1st London) Division, at the time of his death the division was fighting in the Battle of Bullecourt. 3rd - 17th May 1917.

Dvr. Herbert Algy Hasler was part of 17th (Northern) Division RFA. Th edivision were not involved in any major battles at the time of his death although the First Battle of the Scarpe commenced on 9th April 1917, so a build up of artillery would have been taking place around the time of Herberts death.

I note that both brothers were KiA, hope this helps,

cheers, Jon

Hello London Girl

Short answer to both: around Arras, where a series of battles were fought in April and May 1917.

D Battery, 79 Brigade RFA was part of 17th (Northern) Division which was in reserve around Montenescourt, five miles west of Arras and south-west of Maroeuil. The main battle began on 9 April but the preliminary artillery bombardment had both sides trying to seek out and destroy the enemy's guns. It is likely that Dvr H Hasler was killed during this period although it may have been in an accident, as the German gunfire on 1 April was not particularly effective.

2/4th Londons were part of 58th (2/1st London) Division and took part in the Battle of Bullecourt, 3 - 17 May 1917, at the southern end of the Arras main fighting. A map in the Official History specifically places 2/4/Londons about a mile due east of the northern end of the village on 15 May, facing northwards against the German 3rd Guard Division, which made a very heavy and largely successful attack on that day.

Ron

Hi John :rolleyes:

thank you so much for your help, i cant believe that i have this info after all this time , my dad is in his 80s now and i will give him this info today that you have found

for me, about his grandad

where did you look to find this ? and can i possilble ever find a photo of either of them none have survived through the family

can i assume that they were killed near where there memorials are now ?

how long do you think they would have been in France since 1914 or later ?

sorry to ask you all these questions hope you dont mind, i want to go to France next year and see the graves so all this info wil help me build a picture

can i go to the places they were at still?

thanks so much

London girl :unsure:

Hi London girl,

Do you have their Medal Index Cards? (MICs)

Dvr Herbert Hasler clickety clik

Pte Lancelot Hasler clickety clik

These cards are available for download from the site at £3.50 each and will show any medals that the brothers were entitled to, there is also the possibility that they will contain the dates that they arrived in the War Zone and if they were ever wounded, it really is worth downloading them if you haven't already,

cheers, Jon

Hey John

the link for Lancelot is fine but when i click on Herbert its coming up fo William Graham, can you check this please ,do they send them to you or can you download them on line

many thanks i knew nothing about them before

London girl

London girl, just so you know, Lancelot has no known grave, he is remembered on Bay 9 of the Arras Memorial which can be found in the cemetery,

cheers, Jon

Jon,

what did you do to get this lovely picture - fields and all. Can I do it too?

Thanks

Kathie

Hello London Girl

There is a "History of the 17th (Northern) Division, by A Hilliard Atteridge, published in the 1920's, I believe. You may be able to borrow a copy through the inter-library loan service so ask at your local library. I believe that there is a copy in one of the Sussex libraries.

Incidentally, don't be put off by the "Northern" so called as most of the infantry came from there, but not necessarily the artillery or other arms.

Ron

Have you investigated the local papers for the period for up to two months or so after their deaths? Pictures often appeared in the papers when their deaths were reported.

Hey

thanks for all the help and the great pic from Jon your so good at this, where will i look to find local paper info ?

would i have to go to the libary for that ?

Jon, i have got the medal cards now i am trying to learn how to read them cheers for that you are such a help

London girl

Hey London girl...glad to be of help :D

Your Great Grandfather's and Great Uncle's deaths may well have been recorded in the local press as Martin as mentioned, Cecil is listed as living, enlisted and a resident of Islington. Herbert as enlisted in St. Pancras and a resident of London. N. I'm not sure of what papers were around these parts 90 years ago, sure your father will know. The best place to find these would be in the local archives or library, in most of the cases there would be a photo. Have you searched on Ancestry for you relatives?

Let us know if you need some help with the MICs

cheers, Jon

The cemeteries are about 6 miles apart, this map should help,

cheers, Jon

post-15439-1194953731.jpg

For the sake of accuracy, the location of the Arras Memorial is incorrect in this image. It is in the western side of Arras, no the eastern side, as marked here.

Google Earth location to the steps of the main entrance is:

50°17'13.04"N

2°45'38.41"E

Hey, Jon

yes i have done family research on Ancestry, but couldnt find any thing on there military records on either men

Where did you find that info about them from ? im really pants at this i think

i have read the info on the long trail site obout reading the MICs but im still in the dark i think you guys are much better at this stuff than us

theres nothing much on Lancelots card nos in the victory box TP4/1c1/351 and a reg no thats it

Herbert has more victory R&a Pgwo 186 15 star

R&a/4/pg no then date joined up 14.7.1915

clear as mud isnt it

confused London girl

I need some help with Google Earth. I know where it is but after that....

I get a choice of Google Earth .... products, downloads etc etc. And when I am into Google earth... basically I cant get the photos.

Please could someone give me step by step instructions

Thanks

Kathie

Kathie,

Open Google Earth.

Find the area you'd like a picture of, using the controls in the right upper corner or by simply entering the location in the left upper corner.

When you are there, go to 'file'.

Select 'save', and 'save image'.

I have the pro-version, but I think in all versions you'll get a screen with options in which you can select the resolution to save the image. Select one and you're there.

You can do much more after that, but let's start by getting a picture.

Hope it works!

Roel

Roel,

Thanks.. I have gone (yet again) into Google Earth. I have downloaded (yet again).

I still have a lovely long story telling me all about google earth - no picture and nowwhere to insert any information to produce one.

Is it just me???

Kathie

Kathie, it seems you'll need Google Earth pro to save images.

Pro is quite pricey ($400), but you can get a free 7 day trial at https://registration.keyhole.com/choice_kh_initial.html.

Follow the instructions I posted previously, and you can make every pic you need.

Roel