Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Are the Cemeteries near where they died

pier

hi there

I had two members of my family killed in 1917 my Gt Granfather and his brother

Private Lancelot Hasler 283867,2nd/4th bn London Regiment Royal Fusiliers 15 May 1917 remembered on Arras Memorial

Driver Herbert Algy Hasler D battery 79thbgd Royal field Artilery 01 April1917 Maroeuil British Cemetery

can anyone tell me were they killed in these same areas of France as these memorials , and how can i trace what battles they died in

i know very little on how to get information from the military, but would love to know what happened to them

many thanks

London girl

I would suggest that you visit the CWGC web site and look up the memorials/cemeteries. This will give you a brief history of the cemetery, which might go some way to answering your query.

London Girl

The Arras memorial is in the Faubourg D'Amiens Cemetery which is located in Arras itself (on the western ring road). Its a pleasant 10 minute walk from the centre of the town. Alternatively there are parking bays to the front and back of the cemetery.

Maroeuil British Cemetery is about four miles north west of Arras between the N39 and D341 both of which roads run from Arras.

Regards

Mike Shingleton

The 2/4th served in 58th Division, which was involved in the battle of Bullecourt 3rd - 17th May 1917.