Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Isaac Bogard

CROONAERT

The "Daily Mail" on Sat. 18th Jan. had an article about the London gangs of the late 1800's,early1900's. In it was mentioned a mob calling themselves the "Coon Gang" who operated in the East end 1890ish to the 1910's.They tended to be "foreigners" and were led by a self styled godfather (a Jew of swarthy complexion) who was known as "Darky the Coon".

The article,based on the "memoirs" of a rival gang member,mentions that the memoir writer spent most of the 1910's in prison.On his release ,after the end of the war,he saw that most of the gangs had disappeared,many had died while in the services. "Darky the Coon",however,is mentioned as having been awarded the Military Medal during the war.

My question is,does anyone have any information as to who this "Darky the Coon" was? If so,can you tell me where and when he won the MM and what for?

Thanks,

Dave.

Dave,

I have no info myself, but you might find something at

AJEX Jewish Military Museum, East Bank, Stamford Hill, London N16 5RT

Archivist: Martin Sugarman

Sorry no more details

Best of luck with your colouful character

Michae D.R.

Thanks Michael.

I'll certainly take a look down this alley.

Guest John Orfei

David, sorry to say I found more, Isaac (Ikey) Bogard - 1907 UK may belong to the Blind Beggar Mob. See site www.shu.ac.uk/services/ic/clos

Very long winded paper- see(14). If this is your person- let me know what you find out.

Good Luck, John

John.

I think that Mr.Bogard (emphasis on the "Mr" - I wouldn't like to cross these guys!!!) could be my man.

I've just checked the london gazzette web site and found that "263049 Pte. I.Bogard, S.W.Borderers from Stratford East (East end, London) was awarded the MM. He was gazetted in the 22nd Feb.1918 edition.I take it that this means he was awarded it for actions in Nov./Dec. 1917. Possibly Cambrai with the 2nd,10th,11th or 12th(I don't know how tall he was!) batallions?

Incidentally ,he was the only person named Bogard who was awarded it,so it must be.(John ,the mention of the "fake" American accent,cowboy hat and revolver on the site you mentioned also confirms that this is the man)

Thanks again John and Michael. I think you've got me off to a flying start!

This is a fascinating thread!! The links I could find were:

http://www.jewishtribalreview.org/10whsla.htm

http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media/book_...ews.html?show=2

Look forward to hearing more about this character. It would be great to see a photo of him...

Simon

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
The "Daily Mail" on Sat. 18th Jan. had an article about the London gangs of the late 1800's,early1900's. In it was mentioned a mob calling themselves the "Coon Gang" (I know it's not exactly PC,but this is what they were called) who operated in the East end 1890ish to the 1910's.They tended to be "foreigners" and were led by a self styled godfather (a Jew of swarthy complexion) who was known as "Darky the Coon".

The article,based on the "memoirs" of a rival gang member,mentions that the memoir writer spent most of the 1910's in prison.On his release ,after the end of the war,he saw that most of the gangs had disappeared,many had died while in the services. "Darky the Coon",however,is mentioned as having been awarded the Military Medal during the war.

My question is,does anyone have any information as to who this "Darky the Coon" was? If so,can you tell me where and when he won the MM and what for?

Thanks,

Dave.

hi dave no this is an old thread ,issac bogard was muy mums uncle ,got photo at home 3 brothers 2 killed think other one is darky

• 3 months later...
hi dave no this is an old thread ,issac bogard was muy mums uncle ,got photo at home 3 brothers 2 killed think other one is darky

Hi, I am trying to find any info on isaac bogard {darky the coon} anybody who is family and has photo,s of this man, the bishopsgate institute has no photographic record of this gentleman. It would be great to be in contact with people that knew him to relate their stories of this great east end man ( i saw him in wandsworth a couple of times) he was quite a character. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Peck.

Hi, I am trying to find anybody who is family connected to isaac bogard, nickname darky the coon, I would like to know if any available photo,s of this east end man exist. Bishopsgate institute have no records ofthis great character so if anyone knows anything I would be grateful. Peck.

This might be him on the National Archives medal index card lists:

Description Medal card of Bogard, Isaac

Corps Regiment No Rank

7th London Regiment 254567 Private

Monmouthshire Regiment 263049 Private

1901 census:

View Name Age Where born Administrative county Civil parish Occupation

Abraham Bogard 17 London Spitalfield London Spitalfields Boot Maker

Anna Bogard 42 London Spitalfield London Spitalfields

Charles Bogard 10 London Spitalfields London Spitalfields School

Emmanuel Bogard 5 London Spitalfields London Spitalfields

Fanny Bogard 11 London Spitalfields London Spitalfields School

Isaac Bogard 13 London Spitalfields London Spitalfields School

Janet Bogard 1 London Spitalfields London Spitalfields

Joel Bogard 7 London Spitalfields London Spitalfields School

John Bogard 15 London St Georges E London Spitalfields Coal Dealers Assistant

Joseph Bogard 53 Belgium Belgium Subj London Spitalfields Cigar Maker

Moses Bogard 3 London Spitalfields London Spitalfields

Free BMD (note surname spelling):

Baugard Isaac Whitechapel 1c 285 - Birth Sept qtr 1887

I also saw Fanny Bogard's birth registered as 'Van Den Bogard'.

Well, seems an interesting character indeed. Much to read on the internet.

I see:

http://www.eastlondonhistory.com/harding%2...0bogard%202.htm

The flamboyant Bogard’s life took a different turn. The former pimp and hard man saw active service during World War One and emerged a hero, winning the Military Medal. And in peacetime, the man who had first been sent down for punching a policeman in the face (he followed up by fleeing to the rooftops and hurling tiles down upon the pursuing officers) ended up working for the former head of the Flying Squad. Fred ‘Nutty’ Sharpe had become a bookmaker in Wandsworth after leaving the Met and liked to employ former villains. The sentimental Sharpe had a soft spot for criminals. Glossing neatly over the violence, the pimping and intimidation, he described them as ‘a colourfully rascally lot, these “wide uns”’.

Looks to have been aired on the forum before:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/l...x.php/t864.html

And so much more bigoted for those of us who remember when offensive labels like this were tossed around.

my mum said he was sweet u reckon she told me porkies

• 1 year later...
my mum said he was sweet u reckon she told me porkies

I reckon she wasn't telling you porkies lol,Irecall him as a gentle non agressive kind man,his window was always full of pidgeons,which he would feed and i recall him gently removing some wire from 1 of the poor pidgeon's feet where it had been caught up in something.or maybe the fact he was my great uncle makes me lean on his side more lol

Whose head did he nail to a coffee table?

:lol:

No it was a pelvis the screwed to a coffee table

"I said would you mind not nailing my head to the floor as I've got people coming so he screwed my pelvis to a coffee table. He was always very fair and I was right out of order ..."

Just conforming to the usual rules of evidence, different people give different accounts. Additionally, if those accounts are spread over time and in a range of settings, people's perceptions can be different.

and I've just remembered it was a cake stand not a coffee table - makes all the difference

Just conforming to the usual rules of evidence, different people give different accounts. Additionally, if those accounts are spread over time and in a range of settings, people's perceptions can be different.

One of my perceptions is that this ex-policeman turned bookmaker hired violent criminals because at that time a gambling debt was not enforceable in a court of law. It was a ' debt of honour'. Having a few known hardmen at your beck and call would encourage forgetful punters to remember to pay up on time.

.or maybe the fact he was my great uncle makes me lean on his side more lol

Welcome to the Forum

I must first apologise for a number of our members who enjoy going off at a tangent. :D It's perhaps not the welcome you expected particularly as you were commenting on your own relative.

He seems to have been a most interesting character. You'll have read the other thread about him and I wonder if you have any more information about him that you can share with us.

As a general query (perhaps directed at longer-standing members who might have the book), has anyone checked with the Book of British Jewry (I'm sure that isnt the correct title) to see if he's mentioned. Although I suspect that with him being "well iffy", he won't be there.

John

By all accounts he was a leg breaker and general purpose thug who was happy with the name. Whether he was Jewish or otherwise is of absolutely no relevence whatsoever. Of course it would be offensive to call some one that name today but to do a 1984 style history rewrite to take offensive names off the historical record is just damn stupid

please expand on this characterisation of an East End Jew.

Barry, I was simply quoting the description given in one of the posts on the earlier thread linked to in post #4. Jews, like all other people, come in all shapes, sizes and shades, and this man's contemporaries evidently saw fit to give him this nickname. Other more recent East End villains have had nicknames like "Jack the Hat" and "Mad Frankie". Mr Bogard, by all accounts, was a forthright sort of fellow and would no doubt have taken umbrage if he thought the nickname was "a diabolical liberty".

Could we please move on from this unedifying quibbling and explore the far more interesting reality of how Isaac Bogard apparently 'made good' and distinguished himself in the Great War.

Mick

We have to remember we are talking pre Great war with this name. I remember in the 50's people being called "Peter the Pole"

"Chinkie Joes" "Tony the Tally" a black bubble gum called "Black Sambo" (Delicious by the way) and a black boxer in the boxing booth at Wishaw fair "The Black Mamba" All non PC but a part of history non the less. Sorry for not using the asterix key.

Now can we get back to the original post please.

Cheers Rob.