Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map & other objects

Guest stuartswift@msn.com

Not sure if anyone can shed any light on where or what my grandad was up to? After he passed away aged 98! I found a trench map of the Somme (centred around devile woods)dated 16 October 1915 (still with mud stains), which makes fascinating reading. A letter opener made out of a bullet case and copper blade with an Australian button welded onto the front as decoration and two invites to reunion dinners dated 1929 and 1930. Each invite has a list of surviving members of his unit. The reunion was at the Temple Bar restaurant, the Strand. They are marked ' 24th Brigade RGA 105,172,229,& 247 S.B 1/1 Waricks HB and columns'. One has the 8th annual dinner (1929) with 'Major Earnest H Shepard M.C 105 seige Battery in the 'chair' Each has a hand written list of all attendees, marked '105 SB present'. The 9th reunion had 'Captain Norman Wild M.C 229 seige Battery in the Chair' I would love any info that any members can offer on my grandads movements. Also if anyone has a connection to the 105 SB I would happily give you a list of all the people present. His name was Hugh Swift

The Major Ernest H Shepherd would be the chap who illustrated Winnie the Pooh and Wind in the Willows, I think. All worthy of a place in a WW1 library!

Edwin

The front covers to the invites are beautifully illustraed with cartoons of trucks bouncing along, with soldiers flying all over!! Perhaps drawn by the man himself, looks pretty much the same style as the Winnie books. thanks for this I had no idea it was the same man.

The front covers to the invites are beautifully illustraed with cartoons of trucks bouncing along, with soldiers flying all over!! Perhaps drawn by the man himself, looks pretty much the same style as the Winnie books. thanks for this I had no idea it was the same man.

If we promised to be good, eat our greens and go to bed early, could you post the illustrations?

Edwin