Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Bowman

Blackblue

This posting has a couple of queries.

I have a letter written to my grandfather on 30 March 1919 referring to a 'Billy' who had been wounded in October 1918 and sent to Stoke War Hospital, Newcastle Under Lyme. It advises that after discharge they put 'Billy' in the MO's office and that they had since turned the place into a dispersal hospital and 'Billy' had been put in charge.

The letter is written from a Joe Bowman who at the time appears to have been working for Prudential Assurance at 76 Russell Street, York. He refers to York in the letter and my grandfather probably knew him from there - perhaps when serving with the Lancashire Fusiliers.

Does anyone have any information about the hospital and any idea how to find out who 'Joe Bowman' or 'Billy' may be? They may have been members of the 1/5th Lancashire Fusiliers where my grandfather was posted when wounded.

Regards

Tim

Tim

Stoke War Hospital, Newcastle-under-Lyne was in what was originally Stoke Workhouse. It was a group of brick-built wards surrounded by a high wall.

In his book 'Johnny Get Your Gun' John Tucker of the Kensingtons describes, but does not name, the ward he was in at the hospital as follows:

'My ward was a light, high ceilinged room, holding 16 to 18 beds. The walls were dove grey distempered with white woodwork and a highly polished wood floor. The iron bedsteads were covered with clean white counterpanes. The ward was kept immaculately clean as were the wash and bath rooms. On the right side of each bed was a white cupboard. Very large windows ran along the wall on one side of the ward giving an excellent light for reading'

This photo is also from the book:

Many thanks Dave. Are you aware of whether there are any histories, staff lsist of similar of such hospitals?