Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Absent voters list Weston-Super-Mare 1918

nikki32

I have been searching high and low for any details of my grandad or his brother in the first world war. Does anyone have a copy of the absent voters list for weston-super-mare in which Portishead will be covered, where my grandad and his brother lived?

Frank and Herbert Halliday. They lived in the High Street of Portishead.

If I could actually pinpoint that they were in the war that would be a start!! I have contacted the somerset records office but it will take 40 days and I need the info asap as I am compiling a family tree album/information for my dad for christmas!

Nikki

Why 40 days? If you visit the Somerset CRO at Taunton and give notice of what you want in advance (even a couple of days) you ought to be able to look at the relevant constituency absent voters lists. They have all Somerset constituencies in 1918/1919. I was there this summer using Taunton

I live in Poole and can't get to Taunton! Don't have a car - would like to say its because I am environmnetally friendly but I cant afford one!

I contacted the records office yesterday and they said it will take them 40 days to process my request!

Why 40 days? If you visit the Somerset CRO at Taunton and give notice of what you want in advance (even a couple of days) you ought to be able to look at the relevant constituency absent voters lists. They have all Somerset constituencies in 1918/1919. I was there this summer using Taunton